Share Your Favorite Photography Myths, Misnomers and the Like

• Thread Starter Thread Starter
50mm is a boring focal length. You can't take interesting photos with a 50mm lens.
When using my previous set of lenses (12-24mm zoom, 35mm, 85mm, 180mm and 300mm) mounted on a camera with an APS-C sensor, the 35mm lens was close to a 50mm effective focal length. I probably used that lens more than all the other lenses combined. That's also the one lens I kept for use with that camera as my backup camera. Now that I'm using 24-70mm and 70-300mm zooms on a full frame camera, I broke down and simply had to buy a 50mm prime.

The exposure triangle is a myth in digital photography!!!! in film photography you can change the ISO by changing the film.

The sensitivity of the sensor is fixed just like film. Yes you can adjust the gain of the signal after the exposure BUT this is not sensitivity (ISO).

So you can adjust the aperture and the shutter speed. ISO of the sensor is fixed. Now increasing the gain and dual gain circuits make the noise lower but the only way you get more photoelectrons out of the chip is to increase the light or increase the size of the sensor.

Cheers,
alexis and Georgie Beagle

" so it is an exposure square not a triangle...." - Georgie Beagle

The exposure triangle is a myth in digital photography!!!!
That's the one I expected to hear about from Nick, as I remember him ranting and raving about it awhile back.

My impression of that so-called myth is that it's only a matter of semantics; the essence of the concept is extremely useful to photographers.

Okay everyone: feel free to pile on me! :D

That's the one I expected to hear about from Nick, as I remember him ranting and raving about it awhile back.

My impression of that so-called myth is that it's only a matter of semantics; the essence of the concept is extremely useful to photographers.

Okay everyone: feel free to pile on me! :D
OK Georgie, get your canine friends over to Mike's and do your thing!

Put your camera in your bag from 10:00am to 2:00pm. That admonition ignores that lots of commercial car photos are made at high noon so the shadow is directly underneath the car, that you might want to capture the quality of light that is available only in the middle of the day, and that black-and-white photos captured in the middle of the day can look stellar even when color photos of the same scene wouldn't.

My fav is people that say their P&S is better than a DSLR because it has more megapixels.

Or the other myth that if you have a DSLR, you are a professional.

Put your camera in your bag from 10:00am to 2:00pm. That admonition ignores that lots of commercial car photos are made at high noon so the shadow is directly underneath the car, that you might want to capture the quality of light that is available only in the middle of the day, and that black-and-white photos captured in the middle of the day can look stellar even when color photos of the same scene wouldn't.
I use that when I'm too lazy to get out and shoot—therefore I know it is not true!

Real Name
Bill Walderman
And at that time you can get some beautiful photos in wooded areas with dappled sunlight.

"You must have a good camera."
Yes, I really have had that said to me.
The one time someone said that to me, they said it was because of my long lens. It was a 70-200mm with the lens hood mounted. If it hadn't been for the length of the lens hood, I doubt that the person would have noticed. Ironically, it was at a three-day photography exposition where it's assumed that the average person attending is relatively knowledgeable.

Last edited:
A pet peeve: I understand when consumers don't understand the difference between a hot shoe and a cold shoe, but it makes no sense that equipment manufacturers refer to a hot shoe when it clearly is a cold shoe that they are mentioning. It's not just a matter of semantics; the difference between a cold shoe and a hot shoe is a matter of functional use at the least and functional capability at the most. HRRRRRUMPH! :)

McQ

Just your average, everyday moderator.
Real Name
Glenn
I hadn't heard of that one. It's a good thing because I always chimp when using a DSLR at least to evaluate the histogram and for other reasons as needed. I chimp less with my Z6 but only because of the information a mirrorless camera provides before capturing the image that is provided by a DSLR only after capturing it.
Yeah, I don't think it's a rule, so to speak. I've usually seen photographers who think they're the end-all/be-all who like to make fun of photographers who chimp. It's silly to do that. I like to check my histogram and/or "blinkies" from time to time to make sure I'm exposing correctly. It's one of the many benefits of digital over film - you don't have to wait until your roll of film has been printed to see if you've messed up.

So yeah, I chimp. Lol!

Links on this page may be to our affiliates. Sales through affiliate links may benefit this site.
Nikon Cafe is a fan site and not associated with Nikon Corporation.
Forum post reactions by Twemoji: https://github.com/twitter/twemoji
Copyright © 2005-2019 Amin Forums, LLC
Top Bottom