Your most liberating film to digital feature?

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by threecats, Jul 6, 2008.

1. Aside from post manipulation as that will just lead to controversy what has digital most changed in your photographic experience? Also what might you most miss from film?

For me it's the fun of thinking up some shots and just doing them now while the urge and juices are still flowing. With film I'd start thinking that I may not see what I did for weeks or months and before I knew it I'd blow the idea off.

What I miss most is the look of slides on a light box. To my mind nothing available today, either print or on a monitor or even projected can yet come close to matching the realism of a slide on a box. I also miss doing my own b&w but that's been twenty five years ago years anyway.

2. Certainly the impact on creativity with its instant feedback etc. as you note. Also, ALL my pictures are now in 1 (actually with backups, in 2) places--unlike slide days when yellow and green boxes littered the mouse. Another would be EXIF data-no guessing when a picture was taken and what settings were used.

3. Mart61

Mart61

Dec 23, 2006
    Camberley, UK
    The fact that I can take a bunch of shots and not have to worry about the cost of processing and printing. It allows one to experiment.

4. I still use film for landscapes, but for wildlife, it is nice to rip off a lot of exposures when they're moving and not fret about how many rolls I might need/use in a day.

Sean

5. I think everyone has covered my own thoughts, but I sometimes miss the magic of watching a print develop.

Nick has hit on a most important part of digital, the ability to have all pics at your finger tips, and, with that the ability to loose all of them at one time. Still it beats the suitcases of pics and negatives I have stashed. They are kept in old suitcases in case of a fire. Do not have to worry about the bulk of the digital, as HD copies are of site.

6. NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO:eek: :eek: :eek: 

7. Whitedog

Whitedog Guest

The ability to take tons of shots without regard to expense then search for a few that are worth keeping.

8. Connahhh

Connahhh

Oct 27, 2007
    NH
    I don't know about you guys, but I still like film more than digital. Both have a place, though. Everything that I have time to shoot is mostly on film now.

Not 35mm, though. Done with that. It's not worth it IMO. Medium format and even large format is where the magic is.

9. As was mentioned, EXIF data and being able to change asa/iso at will.

10. Ah yes. Forgot all about being able to change ISO on the fly.
    glenn

11. Never, ever again shooting the 37th and 38th frame on a 36 exposure roll, and only then noticing the rewind knob on the top left isn't turning when you advance the film. :redface:

12. latazyo

latazyo

Apr 23, 2008
    STL
    the ability to shoot many many pics and choose the ones that are satisfactory

I dont mean bad pics technique wise, but I mean taking 10 pics of the same person and doing that all night long with many different subjects, without worrying about wasting film

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.