Your oldest digital camera?

• Thread Starter Thread Starter
Currently the oldest digital that I have is a Nikon D100 which I bought in 2002. Prior to that was a little point and shoot, can't recall if it was a Canon or Nikon only that we tried to get a second memory card as the one that came with the camera, 8mb "smart memory card" and to get a 32mb was over $200, think we ended up purchasing a 16mb card but it still was in the $150 neighborhood if I recall. This was probably mid 90's.
When I bought my 4 meg Panasonic DMC-LC5 for around$1200 I paid around $175 for the 128 meg memory card :(

I still use my D70, as it has been converted to IR.
Over the years I've seen a common fault with D70 bodies is for the card contacts to give issues. Good to know yours is still going.
I once traded my D80 body in for two brand new D70s bodies and sold them for enough to pay for 80% of a new D90 :D

I was just wondering how long digital cameras are lasting - a few of mine aren't extremely old compared to what might be out there
but I occasionally use my D50 though it's been a while since I used my Fuji F31fd which is still in good condition.
What old cameras are others still using?
I got a D300 in Dec 2007 and I still use it. I probably have a P&S in a drawer somewhere that might be older, not sure.

Real Name
James
I still have my first DSLR a Fujifilm S2 pro which had the Nikon Mount. It is what got me into Nikon before that I had Minolta Film SLRs. I still use it from time to time just for fun and to check it still works. Can't remember how much it cost me but I love this camera.

I fire up the D100 every couple months. Seems to take a couple minutes to write out a 'compressed' RAW file. Sloooow computer in that thing doing the compression.

Back then, Nikons did not store the shutter count. It once belonged to an eye doctor and came with 1,400 slide photos of his patients eyes (they must have been made on film, before he got the D100). Came with a nice Tamron 90mm macro and ring flash, total price $30. The seller inherited it and probably thought the "A" mode was broken (auto?) <based on the washed out photos on the memory card>.

The D200 is my car camera and gets a workout every week or two. It seems to be bulletproof.

I've got a half dozen older ones (2,3,4 mb) that are just taking up space but the thought of tossing them out is painful.

I do use one in a daily photo / video project, it is the tiny Fuji finepix F40fd that will not die.

Last edited:
I just bought a little used D90 and 18-200mm lens plus a 10.5mm f2.8 for a total of $330. I'll sell the 10.5mm for $350 and have a car camera for free :D

Still have a fully working Sony Mavica CD300, a 3 MP camera with a built-in mini-CD burner. Makes a great ice-breaker & conversation piece to pass around and shoot photos with at parties!

Had a used D300 that I bought inexpensively during a European vacation some years ago, just gave it to one of my best friends toward his use with his first grandchild. Also had my first serious digital camera, a D1H, until a few months ago. It still worked. Donated it to a local school for their photography classes.

My D200 still serves me well and I use it regularly for shooting people. Not sure how old mine is, I know they came out in the fall of 2005 - 15 years ago! Whoa! I have about 40K shutter firings.

Currently a D300 which I carry in the back seat of my Truck with a 70-300 Lens attached for those “oh crap why didn’t you bring your a Camera” times.
I fire up the D100 every couple months. Seems to take a couple minutes to write out a 'compressed' RAW file. Sloooow computer in that thing doing the compression.

Back then, Nikons did not store the shutter count. It once belonged to an eye doctor and came with 1,400 slide photos of his patients eyes (they must have been made on film, before he got the D100). Came with a nice Tamron 90mm macro and ring flash, total price $30. The seller inherited it and probably thought the "A" mode was broken (auto?) <based on the washed out photos on the memory card>.

The D200 is my car camera and gets a workout every week or two. It seems to be bulletproof.

I've got a half dozen older ones (2,3,4 mb) that are just taking up space but the thought of tossing them out is painful.

I do use one in a daily photo / video project, it is the tiny Fuji finepix F40fd that will not die.
Do either of you worry about heat hurting the car cameras?

Commodorefirst

Admin/Moderator
Administrator
Oldest I used a lot was in our fine arts department, Apple quick take 100 and 150, also used a Sony Mavica with floppy storage and then Mavica CDR and Finally got our first Dslr in our graphic lab in 1997, an Olympus D600L.

My First personal Digital bodies was the CP5000 Then added a 5700 then first personal DSLR was D70. Still have my old backup D3 bought in 08, and still have the D40 I bought used as a point and shoot I used for years.

Just a note of pride, we had the first computer graphic lab in the St. Louis area among both high school and college university graphic departments. The local Universities toured our studios before getting their own. Software used back then Photoshop 2.0 and 3.0, Bryce 1.0 2.0 3D, Quark express for desktop publishing, page maker, QE was superior to illustrator back then but we had it too.

Latest posts

Links on this page may be to our affiliates. Sales through affiliate links may benefit this site.
Nikon Cafe is a fan site and not associated with Nikon Corporation.
Forum post reactions by Twemoji: https://github.com/twitter/twemoji
Copyright © 2005-2019 Amin Forums, LLC
Top Bottom