Your Thanksgiving Weekend in 2020

How will your Thanksgiving weekend be about the same or different in 2020 because of the pandemic?

My Thanksgiving dinner will be about the same because my wife and I always have a dinner just for the two of us that involves a special menu and special wine. We usually get together a couple days later with nearby family including our nieces and nephews aged about 8 to 12 years old. That get-together won't happen because of COVID, so instead we'll do a Zoom session immediately following the broadcast of the Macy's Parade. That broadcast will be interesting in itself because there will be no physical parade like usual.

LyndeeLoo

Administrator
Administrator
I will be in my home, alone. Normally, I would be overseas someplace, as November is my favorite travel month, but this year, well...it’s 2020. ??‍♀️ My family is scattered about the United States, so I won’t be seeing them. I did speak with them throughout this week, however, so that will have to do. I also cooked a semi-traditional Thanksgiving dinner which I will enjoy tomorrow. And, I will have enough leftovers to last me well into next week.

I will be in my home, alone. Normally, I would be overseas someplace, as November is my favorite travel month, but this year, well...it’s 2020. ??‍♀️ My family is scattered about the United States, so I won’t be seeing them. I did speak with them throughout this week, however, so that will have to do. I also cooked a semi-traditional Thanksgiving dinner which I will enjoy tomorrow. And, I will have enough leftovers to last me well into next week.
Have you been able to use your new camera.

LyndeeLoo

Administrator
Administrator
I was able to go out this past Sunday to get a feel for it. It’s been raining on and off, and in fact, it’s raining now. Sunday was the only clear day that we’ve had recently. I really like the camera, however. It’s lightweight, it handles well, I love that the ASMP dial has been relocated to the right of the camera and as soon as I learn more about it, I really think that I am going to have a good time with it!

Our son and his family rented a large house at a NC beach for the entire month of November, with the idea that we would all gather there for Thanksgiving. They've been there since 11/1 working and attending classes (middle school, UNC) remotely. Alas, with the recent virus surge, we've all elected to stay put and visit by Zoom.

My wife bought a small turkey breast and will prepare a subset of the usual accompaniments. A bottle of Kendall Jackson Chardonnay for her and a Chablis for me, and we will be happy.

Real Name
Dan
We typically travel this time of year and stay around home and family for Christmas. If we had our way we would be in NZ right now. That's what we were planning before the pandemonium started.

As it is we'll be going over to our surrogate kids' for dinner Thursday then doing a repeat by ourselves Friday. So for us it is definitely not our norm.

Usually we have our children and grandchildren over for a big dinner.
20 + .
This year just me and my wife for dinner.
She has been baking pies all week and the kids have been picking them up for dinners at their homes.
2020 is definitely different than previous years.

Just the 2 of us this year, hoping to return to family celebrations later next year. A new Weber grill’s maiden voyage will feature a hickory & maple smoked turkey breast, accompanied by sweet potato casserole, green beans and finished with pecan pie topped with french vanilla ice cream.

In this time of suffering and loss, we are especially thankful that our family has remained gainfully employed and healthy.

In past years, I have gotten together with family and/or friends, and as the years marched on "family" became less and less or were far-flung around the country, so it's been more about friends, and over the last three or four years, it's been getting together with one particular friend whose family is also far-flung. She's in an adjacent state (Maryland, while I'm in Virginia, but we're both in the overall Washington/Baltimore I-95 corridor and DC/MD/VA Region). Well, this year, thanks to COVID-19, we haven't been able to celebrate birthdays together, and Thanksgiving and Christmas are the next casualties. We do keep in touch by phone, email and text, though.

Since both of us are at high risk due to age and other situations, it just does not seem like a good idea to get together in person, as much as we'd love to be able to do so. Heck, she hasn't even gotten to see my new car yet, or get a ride in it! Aside from that, though, there is also the issue of where and what we would eat, and since neither of us is a cook, we've always gone out to restaurants in the past. Ahem. Not this time! Neither of us is the least bit interested in sitting outdoors in some restaurant's "tent" and we're sure not going to take chances by eating indoors in a restaurant, either.

So for me, Thanksgiving dinner here at home will be one of my favorite meals -- shrimp and the trimmings, and I'm perfectly happy with that! I've never been a big fan of the traditional Thanksgiving Turkey meal anyway. I'll be on the phone either having voice conversations or will be texting and emailing with family and friends tomorrow, and that will have to do..... I'm perfectly fine with this. As I do every day here, anyway, I will also enjoy gazing out at the ducks, geese and other waterfowl who populate our lake. Maybe if I'm lucky Alfred will fly past and wave at me..... :D

Last edited:
We are going to live dangerously for an afternoon. My wife and I will share dinner and wine with our friends who own the local wine store, VĪn, and one of her wine distributors and her partner. They are the only folks who we see on a regular basis and we drink/taste wine with them a couple of times a week. She has a huge table, so room for lots of food, wine and social distancing. Our kids will stay home (Boise and SLC, which are hotbeds of Covid (we will Zoom with them on Friday).

Traditionally, for the last 5 years we’ve gone down to our daughter's place in Boise, and our son would drive up from SLC. And on Black Friday we’d go wine tasting at the wineries down in the Snake River valley.

I will be in my home, alone.

Your new camera records video. Make yet another sequel to Home Alone. Best to change your fall decorations to Christmas decorations before doing so.

On the other hand, I really do wonder if anyone that has as many pairs of shoes as you do actually qualifies for being home alone. That's sort of like the artist that owns hundreds of types of artist's supplies that make her happy, yet she says she's home alone.

LyndeeLoo

Administrator
Administrator
Your new camera records video. Make yet another sequel to Home Alone. Best to change your fall decorations to Christmas decorations before doing so.

On the other hand, I really do wonder if anyone that has as many pairs of shoes as you do actually qualifies for being home alone. That's sort of like the artist that owns hundreds of types of artist's supplies that make her happy, yet she says she's home alone.
A time-lapse of your shoes? The Z5 makes it easy . . .
Pleaaase, by the time I did all that, Thanksgiving would be over and my dinner would be uneaten.?

Not this time, my friends. The plan for tomorrow is to check out the Macy’s Day Parade, do my required steps on the treadmill, address my Christmas cards, wrap the only gift I plan to send out this year, make a couple of phone calls, and finally, and thankfully, eat. ?

Real Name
Ken St John
We have lately been having a large "extended family" dinner with close Filipino/American friends for Thanksgiving and other holidays. But, this year a large contingent can't come from Canada so most of our "group" decided to have smaller meals alone.

For our family, we're going to some neighbors across the street that we know are as "safe" as we are. Due to popular demand (from our hosts) there will be a non-traditional addition to our otherwise traditional menu:
IMG_0208.jpeg
Subscribe to see EXIF info for this image (if available)

(Headed to the smoker first thing tomorrow morning!!)

But, our "extended family" decided today that our Filipino-American Christmas Eve dinner will pretty much go on as we have in the past!! A lot of us are "seniors" and so we'll all be careful and take appropriate precautions, but we'll all be together!!

Happy Thanksgiving all!!

Ken

Usually we take my wife's sister, mother, and brother out to dinner. This year I'm going to cook a steak on the grill for my wife and daughter who lives with us. To assist with the grilling, I'll probably sip a Aberlour 12 year double cask scotch. Then I'm going to open a bottle of pinot noir from the Folktale Winery to have with dinner. We'll probably do the same for Christmas except I may get my grilling assistance from a Macallan double cask scotch. After all, it's important to get the grilling done just right! I hope everyone at the Cafe has a safe Thanksgiving.

Latest threads

Top Bottom