Your thoughts please... (8 images)

Hi, my name is Gilbert. This is my first post. Let me start by saying that I have a problem. I am addicted to this thing called 'photography'. I used to be a landscape and travel photographer (in my spare time), but since the birth of my two kids, Ethan and Audrey, I can't put my camera down when I am with my kids (and other people's kids for that matter!).

I took some images for critique to the photo instructor that I took a number of classes from. He thought that these were cropped too tightly, but I disagree with him. I highly value his opinion and agree with him 99.9% of the time, but was wondering what you guys think. Please feel free to comment on any aspect of the images (composition, exposure, sharpness, etc.) as I am trying to improve. I've got thick skin, so please be honest. Thanks!

-Gilbert

28056754.gif
Subscribe to see EXIF info for this image (if available)

View attachment 9289

View attachment 9290

View attachment 9291

View attachment 9292

View attachment 9293

View attachment 9294

View attachment 9295

I, for one, really like the tight crop. The composition, exposure and sharpness are really well done. I assume this is available light, in which case, you did a great job and capturing the catch lights and avoiding any harsh shadows. If you did bounce a flash on some of these, it is really impressive to see a fill without even a hint of an external light source.

Your images of the babies are excellent. Light and all.

However I am not a fan of the real tight crop.

R

Removed User 2

All made me smile, especially the last one :D

This is nice work

W

Wossname

Great stuff. I quite like a tight crop at times, and I think it really works here when the pics are not shot straight on; the off angle ones are great. It might also change the dynamic a bit if you mix it up with a couple cropped in the vertical, portrait format. You can get in tight, but still add a bit of shape to the picture.

The lighting and expressions are great, and that last one cracked me up :lol:

Cheers

Neil

I like #3. Look how nicely the light models the face. And the pics are nice and sharp -- which camera and lens? I like nice tight crops, especially when the faces are so compelling!

I don't mind a tight crop on a simple portrait, such as these pics. For some reason, if someone has a hat or covering on their head, then I don't like it tightly cropped because I feel that something is missing out of frame. Bareheaded tight crops are just fine (weird, huh??! LOL).
Love that last shot of Audrey - that kid's got personality!
These are all very good shots, esp for children - because they're not always easy to capture.

These are very nice shots (and adorable children). The expression captured in that last one is just priceless.

I think that just like anything else, tight cropping is a compositional tool that can be used effectively but can also be overused. Of the samples you show here, to me the cropping works well for many of them. As another poster said, the angled/non-standard compositions seem to go well with the tight cropping (shots 2, 6, 7). Shots 3 and 5 aren't as effective to me, note how even though part of the head is cropped the eyes are still close to the vertical center; I think going even tighter/closer might actually be preferable for these. IMHO what you want to avoid is compositions where the framing doesn't look like a concious decision. Also, I don't know how representative this sampling is of your shooting style in general, but you might want to consider some vertical shots, which would allow you to fill the frame without having to crop part of the head off to add some variety.

Chad, all of them except for #5 were taken with natural light. I find it extremely difficult to get kids to stay still in front of strobes and still maintain a natural expression. Plus, it gets kind of boring to me to shoot shoot the same backgrounds over and over.

Kevin, all were taken with the D70. All of them with the exception of #2 were shot with an 85mm f/1.4 AF-D. #2 was shot with a 50mm f/1.4 AF-D.

Jeff, I agree that #3 and #5 are the least compelling and least interesting due to the cropping. I do shoot some verticals, but I definitely feel like I don't do enough to have enough variety.

All, thanks for the kind comments. Hopefully I won't be boring you in the future with more images of my kids...

Don't be silly. There's no such thing as too many kids photos! :)

My favorites are #2 and particularly #8. What a face!

ben-portrait-2.jpg
Subscribe to see EXIF info for this image (if available)

As you know, tastes are individually different.
I for one, love your pics. The tight crop reminds me of those movie-type close-ups. Maybe in the first pic there could be a bit more space below the chin.
Generally, technically perfect.
Cheers

#8 is absolutely the best...and I'll just agree w/everyone else....these are great shots of your beautiful kids. A change of pace w/a few vertical ones would break it up, but otherwise, I think you have done very well...Keep it up....and don't be silly...We love seeing pictures of your kids. Heck, we all post pics of ours!!!! :D

Welcome Gilbert

I missed these earlier. They are just fantastic. I have only been here for one month. Like you, I am very interested in child photography as my first grandson was born 3 months ago. I hope to study your pictures and learn a great deal from you.

I have spent years judging and wandering around a couple photo contests (don't do that anymore except for running one small one).. the crops you have are great IMHO. As long as the face isn't centered with equal empty space on each side (#5 is pushing it for me) then most people I know love that type crop.
Adorable children.. as a grandma I love doing these type photos too :)
Your lighting and colors, sharpness.. it's all really pleasing to look at.. good job!

Latest threads

Top Bottom