Your thoughts

Discussion in 'Night, InfraRed, and UltraViolet Photography' started by Rob, Sep 19, 2005.

1. Rob

Rob

Jul 28, 2005
    Truro, Cornwall, UK
    This IR composite photograph was displayed in Digital Photo Magazine a few months back. It inspired me to get an IR filter for the camera I owned at the time, Olymus 8080.
    There were many complimentary comments about the photograph, but equally many people failed to understand the medium and thought it time and effort wasted.
    I consider it to be a very clever composition. The original full colour (car) combined with a second IR photo (Greenery).

IRCarTrees.

2. nfoto

nfoto Guest

I'm not overly impressed by this shot. Dull, uninteresting composition and the alleged IR technique could be done directly without a second image.

There is much more to IR than this.

3. Rob

Rob

Jul 28, 2005
    Truro, Cornwall, UK
    There certainly is, however I was unaware until seeing this photograph that IR was possible on digital cameras; so in that sense it taught me something new and inspired me to try it.

4. I wonder if many people failed to understand the medium or appreciate the effort because it doesn't really look like IR? If you hadn't told me otherwise, I'd assume that was a full color picture of a northern Michigan winter, with brown foliage covered in frost and a gray sky! Maybe if the IR effect had been more "out there," like the pink or blue tints I've seen, the picture would be more interesting. As it is, it just reminds me of winter, which is coming all too soon :biggrin:

5. I find it to be an interesting shot. IR is a great medium but can be over
    done. Sometimes the subtle touch can bring out a different view that
    gets one's attention.

6. Rob

Rob

Jul 28, 2005
    Truro, Cornwall, UK
    My initial reaction was the same as Sommer's 'a rusty car on a cold morning'; then I read about IR and its possibilities.