Your worst April Fool's joke....

.... that has either been played BY you or ON you.....

On me..... I love National Geographic magazine, and read each article carefully. I did NOT know it was an April Fool's Day prank and have actually believed that story for 12 years until I discovered last year that it was a prank. Talk about feeling foolish!

" 1995 The hotheaded naked ice borer, a sort of mole with a searing, bony forehead, lurks under Antarctica, melting the ice beneath the butts of hapless penguins and eating them as they sink."

If anyone has that issue, can you scan the article (especially the photo) and send it to me. I gave away all my National Geog magazines before I realized this was a prank!

So... what's your worst April Fool's prank?

My brother-in-law does the bulletin announcements for our church. Last year, our wives' younger sister got sick with mono, and being a teenager, was very touchy about not letting anyone know (esp. b/c she came down with it right after getting a new boyfriend, and what with all the negative conotation about mono and all! :biggrin:) Newaze, we got together and he made a "special" bulletin with an announcement about prayer for her and her sickness. When we got back from church that morning, we gave her the "special" bulletin to read. Watching her face when she got the announcement and thought that it had gone out to the whole church was absolutely priceless! Wasn't exactly on April Fool's day, but was the week of, and worked out well enough. :smile:

" 1995 The hotheaded naked ice borer, a sort of mole with a searing, bony forehead, lurks under Antarctica, melting the ice beneath the butts of hapless penguins and eating them as they sink."

Sandi :

Well, naturally, the idea of naked ice borers eating penguins is a myth, even though, they do, of course, exist !

Ice borers talk together constantly as they tunnel so as to stave off the "boredom", even having developed a rather complex set of communications to allow them to navigate under the vast frozen fields of the Antarctic. Sadly, much of the discussion is quite repetitive, because, thinking about this for a moment, how many interesting and evocative comments can an ice boring mole make about melting ice with their bulging hot foreheads ?

Thus, everyone knows that the penguins would use their special "penguin-sense" to detect and then eat the ice-tunneling creatures as they tried to catch the penguins. After all...

... nobody likes a boring conversation !

Have an "ice day", Sandi ! :eek:

John P.

Motley fool

Last year I saw a job posting on march 31 for a court jester at motley fool. some of the skills required involved being able to tap a keg, loose to the owners in air hockey, juggle, etc. It was not on their site but on some one elses job posting board. The fact that it came out on the 31st and was on somelses board had me going fo a little while, but their was a nagging voice that thought it was a prank. They used to have a link to it on their site but I can not find it anymore.

Edit: Found it
http://www.fool.com/jobs/JobDescription.aspx?id=364&did=50

Last edited by a moderator:

YEAHHHH, that's it!! OK, not National Geographic, it was Discover magazine. That picture of the ice borer has been embedded in my mind for years and I've been telling the story of this strange creature for years! Talk about feeling like an idiot :redface::redface::redface::redface::redface:.

You can laugh but Nature is full of all sorts of strange critters, I just thought this was another!

Sandi :

Well, naturally, the idea of naked ice borers eating penguins is a myth, even though, they do, of course, exist !

Ice borers talk together constantly as they tunnel so as to stave off the "boredom", even having developed a rather complex set of communications to allow them to navigate under the vast frozen fields of the Antarctic. Sadly, much of the discussion is quite repetitive, because, thinking about this for a moment, how many interesting and evocative comments can an ice boring mole make about melting ice with their bulging hot foreheads ?

Thus, everyone knows that the penguins would use their special "penguin-sense" to detect and then eat the ice-tunneling creatures as they tried to catch the penguins. After all...

... nobody likes a boring conversation !

Have an "ice day", Sandi ! :eek:

John P.

That is so bad on so many counts!! LOL I'm glad I've provided your dose of humour for the day, now get back to work!

Audio magazine used to have a feature article on a fictitious piece of high end audio gear, and IIRC, they also had a few fictitious ads in their April issue.

Last year I saw a job posting on march 31 for a court jester at motley fool. some of the skills required involved being able to tap a keg, loose to the owners in air hockey, juggle, etc. It was not on their site but on some one elses job posting board. The fact that it came out on the 31st and was on somelses board had me going fo a little while, but their was a nagging voice that thought it was a prank. They used to have a link to it on their site but I can not find it anymore.

Edit: Found it
http://www.fool.com/jobs/JobDescription.aspx?id=364&did=50

That's hilarious - it certainly does look like a real ad, except when reading it carefully!

A few months back, a friend was very excited- she was learning to dive, and was going along with a group of experianced divers to swim with manatees.

When she called me about it, I asked in passing if anyone had warned her to stay away from the pinkish ones. No one had, and she asked about it, so I explianed that when they are in heat, they 'flush', turning their skin slightly pink, and they become very aggressive, and can injure divers.

So that weekend, as they are all in the van, heading to the site, She the only neophyte in the group, someone was giving her a rundown on manatees, and she added that she already knew to 'stay away from the pink ones... (silience) you know- 'cause that means they might attack... (more silence) becuase they turn pink when they are in heat...(laughter)

She called me from the van a few minutes later, and after blasting me soundly (with good humor) some of the other drivers took the phone to congradulate me on selling it so completely<g>.

It's now become an official myth for the tads they work with.

Not quite an April Fool's joke but close enough in time a couple of decades or so back...

When I was a post-graduate student in Canada, another post-grad named Keith was about to get married to a young woman with family from England. They had planned a grand spring honeymoon in the UK, but he was concerned about having to drive the car on the opposite side of the road, as well as having the driver's position altered to right-hand driving position and the gear shift to his left.

I listened patiently and explained that this all was actually the very least of the problems in driving a car in the UK. He needed to clearly understand, I discussed at length, that the clutch and accelerator were reversed in position in cars in the UK, with the clutch on the right side of the driver and the accelerator on the far left.

The sole saving grace, I calmly pointed out, was that the brake pedal was still centred in the foot-well, so he'd always be able to stop effectively.

He listened intently, even wrote down a few notes, which was all reinforced by another post-graduate student who, like me, had lived in the UK for a lengthy period. The other student explained that he'd never been able to master driving in the UK as a result of this most confusing arrangement.

A weekend came, with the soon-to-be-groom was visiting his in-laws-to-be for dinner, when Keith gave a long exposition to his soon-to-be-F-I-L about this subject, including apparently drawing diagrams, and explaining how he was training each night in how to alter which foot would do what function when he was in the UK... :eek:

The almost F-I-L apparently had to leave the room for several minutes at one point, and the almost M-I-L simply walked out and didn't return for a long time. The almost groom was mystified about this entire episode, especially when his fiancée was called out by her parents for a lengthy discussion in another room with the door closed.

Keith didn't speak to me for almost two weeks... :rolleyes: :cool: :wink:

John P.

Lawrence, congratulations on a successful prank - that's a doozer! I can just imagine the look on her face.

She's still mad at me (jokingly). My favorite thing about it was that it just came to me, fullblown, no planning, and I delivered it ( apparently) perfectly and utterly plausibly.

That's a great one on the driving on the wrong side with the switched up peddles.

A friend of mine, my family, and I went out to dinner a few days after April 1st once. He returned from the restroom and a bit later I had to go, so I asked him where the ladies room was. He pointed and said through that doorway and on the left. I unhesitantly walked through the doorway and straight through the doorway on the left and RIGHT INTO THE MIDDLE OF THE MEN'S ROOM.

I got back to the table to him and my oblivious family, and he couldn't even look at me. I could see his ears were pink and he had about chewed his lip off trying not to laugh.