You're out!

Discussion in 'Sports Photography' started by Sanford504, Jul 14, 2008.

1. Sanford504

Sanford504

Mar 27, 2008
    Yeadon, PA
    I'm still a little unsure of my ability to post an immage, even though I have successfully posted a couple. I promise this will be my last "test"

OUT.

2. Nice capture! And you figured out how to post! The only suggestion I can make about posting is make the image just a wee bit smaller, around 900 on the longest side is best.

3. You did just fine with the upload, sizing is important to all those who don't have broadband internet access, or at least fast access. The shot is a good one too, I would just touch it up a bit since the highlights are blown out a bit and it's quite saturated too, and just a little more sharpening would make it stand out a little bit more. Seeing as the effective focal length of this shot is about 220mm, you no doubt cropped it just a bit which can make small things stand out. Focus is spot on and frozen with 1/2000th too.
    Now that you've set the bar this high with your post all you need to do is to keep it there and make it go higher, what's next?! :biggrin:

4. I see the blown highlights Steve mentions, did you shoot raw? You can turn down the contrast in the raw, which will bring back detail in the pants.

5. Sanford504

Sanford504

Mar 27, 2008
    Yeadon, PA
    Can't thank you guys enough for you assistance and critique. Hotod4x5, I particularly owe you a debt of gratitude! You were one of the first to take on the task of getting through this diminished brain of mine. Thank you so much. As to your comment on sizing, this is another area I've had problems with. I'm relatively new to this "Digital" thing and its been an upward struggle trying to learn and master all the techniques of post processing. There are times when I long for the "good old days" of film and "down and dirty," dark-room work. However, I'm being gradually convinced that digital is the best thing that has happened for photography. Its just that the learning curve, for some people, is rather steep. Didn't seem this difficult 40 years ago when I first got involved in this art. I've admired the work of both you and Steve, as well as many other members. Believe it or not, I earn my living as a free-lance photographer for a High School and College Yearbook publisher and they just went all digital about a year ago, so I've had to "fast track" my digital education, and I'm still struggling.

6. Sanford, I have worked in the darkroom, in fact, all my formal photography education was based on film. I developed 35 and 4x5 by hand and spent hours and hours in the darkroom.

I'll never forget my first photo instructor who said, when making an 8x10 from 35mm, if you have a good negative, start with 8 seconds at f8, it was always a good starting point. Ahhh the good old days.

Having a solid darkroom background helps the digital photographer. You know what the dodging and burning tools are supposed to do. You know what it means when I say the image is hot, tone it down. Or it looks too flat to me.

At any rate, I am glad I was able to help. Keep posting!

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.