Critique Youth Football from yesterday

Here are some images that I captured during yesterday's action:

2021-04-11 Pioneers-34.jpg
Subscribe to see EXIF info for this image (if available)

2021-04-11 Pioneers-20.jpg

2021-04-11 Pioneers-58.jpg

2021-04-11 Pioneers-84.jpg

2021-04-11 Pioneers-101.jpg

2021-04-11 Pioneers-116.jpg

2021-04-11 Pioneers-94.jpg

2021-04-11 Pioneers-21.jpg

2021-04-11 Pioneers-59.jpg

2021-04-11 Pioneers-106.jpg

Thanks for looking...
Glenn

#1 - GOOD timing ?
#2 - I like the concentrating face shot.
#3 - Neat. The ball carrier's eye looking at the opponent in his way says, "oh oh."
#3 & 9 - I like the head on shot of the ball carrier. You have a better chance to see the face, which is harder with a side shot.
#4 - Nice close up. I normally shoot plays, so close-up shots are harder for me. I usually end up cropping into a pic to get the close-up.
#5 - The team shots are very underrated. While the parents want THEIR KID, the kids want their friends.
#6 - Cheer is tough, for me. Sooo many cheer leaders. I like the idea of picking out ONE, rather than struggling with the mass of all of them.
#7 - I like that particular running position of the legs. It really shows action.
#8 - I like a good coach/player shot.
#10 - What lens did you use for that shot? That is a LONG shot, all the way down the field. I don't do it cuz I don't have a lens long enough for that shot. My 200 can barely do the width of the field.

I like your individual shots. I normally shoot multi-player plays, where you can see the context of the action. But then I learned that parents don't care about the play or the other players, they want THEIR KID. I normally shoot the play (for the coaches, the AD and me), then crop the primary player (for the parents).

Nice diffused overcast lighting, no harsh highlights and shadows. :)

The uniforms reminded me of our game last week. We were in dark blue, the opponent in bright RED. Guess where the eye looks at in the pic, the opponents in RED. :( Unfortunately you can't do anything about this. I always hated seeing the opposing team show up in a BRIGHT uniform.

Good job ?

#1 - GOOD timing ?
#2 - I like the concentrating face shot.
#3 - Neat. The ball carrier's eye looking at the opponent in his way says, "oh oh."
#3 & 9 - I like the head on shot of the ball carrier. You have a better chance to see the face, which is harder with a side shot.
#4 - Nice close up. I normally shoot plays, so close-up shots are harder for me. I usually end up cropping into a pic to get the close-up.
#5 - The team shots are very underrated. While the parents want THEIR KID, the kids want their friends.
#6 - Cheer is tough, for me. Sooo many cheer leaders. I like the idea of picking out ONE, rather than struggling with the mass of all of them.
#7 - I like that particular running position of the legs. It really shows action.
#8 - I like a good coach/player shot.
#10 - What lens did you use for that shot? That is a LONG shot, all the way down the field. I don't do it cuz I don't have a lens long enough for that shot. My 200 can barely do the width of the field.

I like your individual shots. I normally shoot multi-player plays, where you can see the context of the action. But then I learned that parents don't care about the play or the other players, they want THEIR KID. I normally shoot the play (for the coaches, the AD and me), then crop the primary player (for the parents).

Nice diffused overcast lighting, no harsh highlights and shadows. :)

The uniforms reminded me of our game last week. We were in dark blue, the opponent in bright RED. Guess where the eye looks at in the pic, the opponents in RED. :( Unfortunately you can't do anything about this. I always hated seeing the opposing team show up in a BRIGHT uniform.

Good job ?
Thanks for taking the time to provide detailed feedback! Much appreciated.

To be honest, I was attracted mostly to the background in #5. Also, I know a couple of the players in that shot are good friends, so it was nice to see their names displayed next to each other in the same frame.

For 10, I used the 500 f/4...and that one is cropped (but not a lot).

I am a big fan of diffused light for both football and baseball!

I find it more challenging to expose scenes when one team is wearing white and the other a very dark color. And, it is very easy to blow out reds.

I tend to favor individual shots...or at least where I can clearly see the facial expression. Many years ago there was a Nikon Cafe forum member who shared a lot of sports images. I think he went by Mike Mac. He captured many of those images and referred to them as "sportraits". I enjoyed his pictures so much that I splurged for a 300 2.8 (which I still own today). He inspired me to strive to capture that style.

Glenn

Great work, Glenn! No. 6 is the only one I don't like. My eye wandered through that image, and I find that arm on the left side distracting.

Really like Nos. 3, 4 and 8.

Hi Glenn.
Purely to add my comments & please take with a pinch of salt for what I know about American football!.:sneaky:

#'s 1-4, really nice lovely exposure etc.
#5? I'm guessing it's a football thing but to me it's just backs?
#6 I know nothing of cheer leading but it looks more like a practice?
#'s 7-9 again great focus etc.
#10 nice but did you either get the snap or the kicker striking the ball? to me that would have been my pick.
Again feel free to shoot me down all though I've covered American football in this country it's not on the levels you cover. Regards Graham.

Hi Glenn.
Purely to add my comments & please take with a pinch of salt for what I know about American football!.:sneaky:

#'s 1-4, really nice lovely exposure etc.
#5? I'm guessing it's a football thing but to me it's just backs?
#6 I know nothing of cheer leading but it looks more like a practice?
#'s 7-9 again great focus etc.
#10 nice but did you either get the snap or the kicker striking the ball? to me that would have been my pick.
Again feel free to shoot me down all though I've covered American football in this country it's not on the levels you cover. Regards Graham.
Thanks Graham...I appreciate your comments.

I captured #5 because some of the players enjoy seeing their names in the frame and I really liked the blurred scoreboard and colors in the background.

#6 was the halftime show...but I agree that it appears more like a practice in that it doesn't look like they are in the typical uniforms.

For #10 I do have some additional frames...I usually like the ones where the ball is just clearing the outstretched arms of the defensive linemen.

Glenn

Latest threads

Top Bottom