Critique Youth Football

I rarely photograph sports, but I had a chance to shoot a youth football game last night. More importantly, it was a chance to use my 500 VR again!

Here are some pictures from the game (with one from the end of the prior game with the younger players):

1- I was fortunate to capture most of the key plays in the game. This was a big touchdown run. This picture is NOT cropped!
2021-03-28 football-292.jpg
Subscribe to see EXIF info for this image (if available)

2- The safety forced a fumble on this play.
2021-03-28 football-116.jpg

3- This was from the end of the earlier game. I got to the field 30 minutes early to practice since I haven't photographed football in almost two seasons.
2021-03-28 football-32.jpg

2021-03-28 football-272.jpg

2021-03-28 football-56.jpg

2021-03-28 football-238.jpg

Thanks for looking...
Glenn

Nice images.
You cheated. I thought youth football had to be played in a dark cave lit by no more than 2 candles.
Nicely done
gary

He he
I too am jealous of his lighting.
Here, I think "pop warner" and "junior varsity" are the day games. High school varsity is at night.

By the shadow angle, I think it was late afternoon.

Last edited:
Real Name
Mike
Pretty amazing photos and oh so sharp. I'm always amazed at the clarity of the photos on this site. Mine never look so good.

Last edited:

kilofoxtrott

European Ambassador
Real Name
Klaus
Glenn, Wonderful pictures that are showing the action in the game very well.

Taken in a perfect light
Klaus

I don't do sport photography, but if I did, I would want the photos to look like these, realizing in the end that I wouldn't have the skill to do so. Number 1 and number 4 for me really bring the action to life. Feels very real. Nicely done.

Good Job.
I like the head on view.
Your 500 did a good job of dealing with the distance, which I find is the challenge of a head on shot.
What super sharp images!!! Well done, Glenn. Doesn't look like you missed a beat!
Nice images.
You cheated. I thought youth football had to be played in a dark cave lit by no more than 2 candles.
Nicely done
gary
Very nice. That first one is great!
He he
I too am jealous of his lighting.
Here, I think "pop warner" and "junior varsity" are the day games. High school varsity is at night.

By the shadow angle, I think it was late afternoon.
Pretty amazing photos and oh so sharp. I'm always amazed at the clarity of the photos on this site. Mine never look so good.

Taken in a perfect light
Klaus

Taken in a perfect light
Klaus
I don't do sport photography, but if I did, I would want the photos to look like these, realizing in the end that I wouldn't have the skill to do so. Number 1 and number 4 for me really bring the action to life. Feels very real. Nicely done.
These are great, Glenn. I really like #3. You captured some great eyes along with the big hole the blockers created. Plus, the lighting on that one was favorable.
For some reason, I am not able to reply below each comment. All the comments appear in this post, but no room between them. So, I will reply to each person below:

Thanks Karen...I appreciate you taking the time to comment on my infrequent sports post!

ac12...thank you. The game started at 5:30pm and the later shots were captured closer to 7:00pm. Thank God for Daylight Savings Time.

Russ...the first one is my favorite as well. I loved that it wasn't even cropped...the action filled the frame.

Mike...the equipment helps with acquiring sharp images. I'm pleased with the D850 and 500 VR. It's also important to make sure the settings are appropriate for action and that the equipment is properly stabilized.

Klaus...thanks . The light was great at times and not so good at other times. I pray for diffused light when shooting football or baseball. Harsh sunlight creates dark shadows--especially on the faces--which isn't ideal. During the game, the sun popped in and out of the clouds. Later it was the worst case scenario...shadows were cast across the middle of field from the stands, but the background was super bright from sunlight.

Bohdan...thank you. Don't sell yourself short. With the equipment I was using (D850 and 500 VR) it makes it easier to capture many of these images.

Mitch...thanks. That's the kind of lighting I prefer for football. Unfortunately, the sun appeared later and created some harsh light.

Glenn

Links on this page may be to our affiliates. Sales through affiliate links may benefit this site.
Nikon Cafe is a fan site and not associated with Nikon Corporation.
Forum post reactions by Twemoji: https://github.com/twitter/twemoji
Forum GIFs powered by GIPHY: https://giphy.com/
Copyright © Amin Forums, LLC
Top Bottom