Youth Soccer

Discussion in 'Sports Photography' started by mike mac, Aug 5, 2007.

1. I shot a youth soccer tournamnet yesterday in Chalfont, PA, it was 98 degrees with high humidity and blazing sun. To heck with the impact it had on the photographs, it beat the heck out of the photographer!

Really the conditions made for some real tough shooting and the suns effect on my brain did not help. these were 8u through 13 u both boys and girls. So as hot as it was for me I cant imagine what these guys felt like.

When shooting for this company the owner wants a mixed collection of shots, sportraits, action, celebration and so on. He likes us to shoot real tight because they are know for there custom collages and montages so he wants isolation, which can prove tricky at times.

So there is a lot of things to keep track of in a game besides exposure and so forth so it makes for a very long day.

Yesterday we shot 10 halves of soccer and one full game and we are expected to produce at least 300 images per half.
    Just trying to show what all one must keep in mind while shooting.

We are also required to shoot both sides of the ball and try to capture every athlete

I will have to split these shots up into multiple posts, all shots with the D2X and the 300 2.8 with 1.4 tele.
    First some girl shots
    I will start with my favorite of the day, I was standing near the bench and I heard this girl tell her friend that is she scored she is going to "flip out" so I kept my eye on her and when she scored followed her down the field and watch and she leaped high in the air and kicked her heels together. I cut of the tip of her hand but was pleased. I showed it to her mother and I am sure there will be some sales.
    [​IMG]
    I love some of the faces the kids make while playing
    [​IMG]
    Love the snarl
    [​IMG]
    A few action shots
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

A few sportraits
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]
    A few of the boys
    Some action
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]
    Some sportraits
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

The funny face
    [​IMG]

2. Mike,

As always, excellent collection, something definitely for me to work towards. (And have fun doing it).

Excuse my ignorance, but when you say 'both sides of the ball', do you mean both teams?

3. superb as always Mike

4. Wow -- these are fantastic. As pleased as I was with my recent initial foray into taking soccer pics, I can see how far I have to go. I really like the last one.

5. Chris_B

Chris_B

Mar 12, 2006
    Arlington, VA
    Great as usual Mike. I am amazed that you kept the exposure and contrast so under control in the harsh light. Truly well done. Any tips you can pass along would be greatly appreciated.

The requirements you mentioned show how different it is to shoot professionally compared to those of us that shoot as a hobby. Your assignment sounds like a lot of work :eek:.

6. niknd501

niknd501

May 13, 2006
    Illinois
    These are fantastic Mike...Can't wait to see your other posts....Makes me want for some longer glass for sure..

Great stuff !

7. topher04r1

topher04r1 Guest

great job as allways mike....hope you are staying hydrated !!

8. Jeff Mims

Jeff Mims

May 25, 2005
    Mississippi
    Superb as always Mike!

9. Steve S

Steve S

Feb 1, 2005
    SE Florida
    Real pro quality work Mike! Tough way to make a buck in that stifling heat and humidity! I bet you were totally whipped after that day!

10. acena

acena

Mar 14, 2006
    New Jersey
    Great job Mike. You shouldn't have cut off her fingers :cool:. Just kidding. It's all that heat and humidity that makes me take the summer off. Your a mad man working for Jon every weekend. You need a break

11. Thanks MArk and yes it means to shot both teams even if we are contracted by a partiular team we shoot both teams
    Thanks Randy
    Thanks so much just keep shoting
    It is a lot fo work as fas as expousre goes it is all about the faces amke sure the focus is on the face and then espose for the face and if some the background or uniform gets blown so be it. I shoot matrix and then dial in pos or neg EV as needed
    Thanks I had over 14 80z bottles of water next tiem wmight wear my camelback
    Thanks Steve I was a little tired after that day!
    LOl thanks Alex yea it has been a long hot summer boy am I lookign forward to football season and some cooler weather