1. Welcome to NikonCafe.com—a friendly Nikon camera & photography discussion forum!

If you are thinking of buying a camera or need help with your photos, you will find our forum members full of advice! Click here to join for free!

You've been Mooned...

Discussion in 'Night, InfraRed, and UltraViolet Photography' started by Dave, Sep 13, 2008.

1. Dave

Dave

Feb 7, 2007
    Suwanee, GA
    Taken with my D300 and 300mm f/4 AF-S on a monopod.

[​IMG]

2. nice job, dave
    i like this one
    well done

3. SRA

SRA

Jul 29, 2005
    Orem, Utah
    Impressive to be sure, Thank you.

4. Great shot Dave.

I have been trying to get some moon photos yesterday and tonight and am having a dickens of a time. I have taken moon photos with the D70 and Sigma 150-500 with not bad results but there is no way I can get it in focus with the D300. I tried the Nikon 70-300 VR as well with lousy results. BTW using a tripod, VR off on the Nikon lens, manual focus. It's now midnight so I guess I'll try again tomorrow night. Can you give me your settings for me to try?

Marlene

5. that is a great moon shot - Marlene I find the best way with moon shots is to make sure you use spot metering and spot on the moon of course, on a bright night you should even be able to hand hold especially with the VR lens

6. Well hopefully it will be clear tonight and I can try again.

Marlene

7. GeorgeV

GeorgeV

Aug 7, 2008
    Niles
    Good job! Nicely exposed.

8. Excellent work, Dave

From a monopod, to boot!

9. Dave

Dave

Feb 7, 2007
    Suwanee, GA
    The exif is still on the shot...but here were the settings:

Nikon D300
    300mm f/4 AF-S Lens
    1/640s
    f/4.5
    ISO 360 (I was using Auto-ISO)
    Spot Metering
    AF-C Auto-Focus, 51 point (not 3d)

I believe I was in Aperture priority and thus I was setting the f/stop manually and letting the camera determine the shutter and the ISO. I have some higher ISO shots where the shutter speed is higher, and also some where the aperture is higher as well...but I liked this one the most.

I did notice one thing though, my lens is a little soft at f/4...which is why I went to f/4.5. I need to put it on a tripod (if I can find a good one) and test it out to see if it's front or back focusing.

10. Dave

Dave

Feb 7, 2007
    Suwanee, GA
    Thanks Greg...this is the happiest I've been with a moon shot thus far.

Thank you kindly.

Thanks

Good luck Marlene!

Thanks George!

Well, I don't have a tripod and I wanted to steady the shot a bit. :biggrin:

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.