You've been Mooned...

Discussion in 'Night, InfraRed, and UltraViolet Photography' started by Dave, Sep 13, 2008.

1. Dave

Dave

Feb 7, 2007
    Suwanee, GA
    Taken with my D300 and 300mm f/4 AF-S on a monopod.

[​IMG]

2. nice job, dave
    i like this one
    well done

3. SRA

SRA

Jul 29, 2005
    Orem, Utah
    Impressive to be sure, Thank you.

4. Great shot Dave.

I have been trying to get some moon photos yesterday and tonight and am having a dickens of a time. I have taken moon photos with the D70 and Sigma 150-500 with not bad results but there is no way I can get it in focus with the D300. I tried the Nikon 70-300 VR as well with lousy results. BTW using a tripod, VR off on the Nikon lens, manual focus. It's now midnight so I guess I'll try again tomorrow night. Can you give me your settings for me to try?

Marlene

5. that is a great moon shot - Marlene I find the best way with moon shots is to make sure you use spot metering and spot on the moon of course, on a bright night you should even be able to hand hold especially with the VR lens

6. Well hopefully it will be clear tonight and I can try again.

Marlene

7. GeorgeV

GeorgeV

Aug 7, 2008
    Niles
    Good job! Nicely exposed.

8. Excellent work, Dave

From a monopod, to boot!

9. Dave

Dave

Feb 7, 2007
    Suwanee, GA
    The exif is still on the shot...but here were the settings:

Nikon D300
    300mm f/4 AF-S Lens
    1/640s
    f/4.5
    ISO 360 (I was using Auto-ISO)
    Spot Metering
    AF-C Auto-Focus, 51 point (not 3d)

I believe I was in Aperture priority and thus I was setting the f/stop manually and letting the camera determine the shutter and the ISO. I have some higher ISO shots where the shutter speed is higher, and also some where the aperture is higher as well...but I liked this one the most.

I did notice one thing though, my lens is a little soft at f/4...which is why I went to f/4.5. I need to put it on a tripod (if I can find a good one) and test it out to see if it's front or back focusing.

10. Dave

Dave

Feb 7, 2007
    Suwanee, GA
    Thanks Greg...this is the happiest I've been with a moon shot thus far.

Thank you kindly.

Thanks

Good luck Marlene!

Thanks George!

Well, I don't have a tripod and I wanted to steady the shot a bit. :biggrin: