Yucca blossoms before the aphids attack...

Discussion in 'Macro, Flowers, Insects, and Greenery' started by PJohnP, Aug 7, 2005.

1. PJohnP

PJohnP

Feb 5, 2005
    My red yuccas have been seriously tested with aphids this summer, as I had shown in another photo ( https://www.nikoncafe.com//forums/viewtopic.php?t=7572&highlight= ). The ants harvest honeydew from aphids, the aphids harvest from the yucca blossoms, and parasitic wasps lay eggs in the aphids. It's a fairly dramatic set of events.

The last red shoot started to open today, so I deployed my camera, this time with my 105mm f/2.8 micro lens.

[​IMG]
    D100, 105mm f/2.8 Micro-Nikkor, ISO400, f/14, 1/60s, processed in NC, cropped

As you can see, the inspects are starting their movement on the flower. The buds on this tip are perhaps 2-4mm in length, if that scale assists in the viewing. Other buds were larger, but they were already swarmed.

John P.

Last edited by a moderator: Mar 15, 2017
  2. Flew

Flew

Jan 25, 2005
    Alabama
    Cool shot John. I like the way that you've held the reds. I always seem to blow them out. Everyone does things differently, but I like to have a little more DOF. What aperture did you use for this one?

3. PJohnP

PJohnP

Feb 5, 2005
    Frank :

Remember Sensei Ron's discussion on the red channel ? Because of the dominance of green sensors over red in our cameras, this happens more than we'd like. Ever since I read this and talked with him about it, I've more consciously exposed for the red channel as best I can (given that I don't have the split R-G-B histograms on my D100). It's especially easy for this to sneak up when we photograph red flowers with a different background of lower luminosity - the red channel doesn't show up as much of a spike in the generic RGB histogram.

As for the DOF, this was shot at f/14, about as low as I could go and still use a shutter speed to keep the wind from blurring the red yucca flower spike. I suppose I could have cut it off and brought it inside to shoot in a clamp with a smaller aperture and slower shutter, but that kind of defeats things for my garden ! :lol:

In an ideal world, I'd have shot at f/32 to bring in more of the buds.

John P.

4. Flew

Flew

Jan 25, 2005
    Alabama
    I hear you John. I go through the same thought processes when I shoot under similar conditions. If we had 12 stops of dynamic range, and enough light on every shot, this hobby wouldn't be as much fun. One can dream though. 8)

5. Amazing. It looks like one of the aphids is doing a balancing act! Great detail too.

6. Good capture John. The reds are pleasant and the insect adds to the interesting story about the life cycle going on. Thanks for sharing the story and the image.

7. PJohnP

PJohnP

Feb 5, 2005
    Frank :

It's what makes this a challenge, to be sure. If it was easy, would we be doing this ? :lol: :twisted: :lol:

John P.

8. PJohnP

PJohnP

Feb 5, 2005
    Crystal :

Thanks for the kind comments. It's a challenge shooting these little guys and getting the DOF one wants without getting blur from slow shutter speeds.

John P.

9. PJohnP

PJohnP

Feb 5, 2005
    Gordon :

Thanks for the kind thoughts.

The neat thing about macro shooting is the world that's almost hidden around us jumps out in the shots.

John P.