1. Welcome to NikonCafe.com—a friendly Nikon camera & photography discussion forum!

If you are thinking of buying a camera or need help with your photos, you will find our forum members full of advice! Click here to join for free!

Yup it's official, 70-200 VR2

Discussion in 'Lens Lust' started by twinturboteddy, Jul 30, 2009.

1. V_kids

V_kids

Jul 4, 2006
    Indonesia
    finally, the lens that i have been waiting for :) 
    I sold my 70-200 F2.8 about a year ago....

*how much is it? any idea?*

Andree

2. and interesting and EXPENSIVE!!! lens indeed...

3. WillyPete

WillyPete

Jan 22, 2009
    London
    haha.
    Sold my 70-200 last month asI had a feeling this would be out.
    Watch 2nd hand prices drop on the old model around November. ;) 
    Bargain time for everyone around then.
    Also, those who held onto the 80-200 might also drop there's for the newer N.

4. nags

nags

Jan 30, 2008
    S. Florida
    I want one!

5. Glaudus

Glaudus

Aug 6, 2008
    Belgium
    Me too....
    On the pics, I find the lens nicer than the previous version.

Arnaud

6. Post215

Post215 Guest

I'm wondering if this new 70-200/2.8 will satisfy the brick wall and empty blue sky shooters? Those corners better be razor sharp for that price!!

7. WillyPete

WillyPete

Jan 22, 2009
    London
  8. Hmmmmm, in my opinion there is about 10 other things that nikon should've updated before these two lenses.

9. Pre order is now up on Amazon for the 18-200mm... the 70-200 is listed but no price yet...too bad I don't have $2400 laying around :frown:

10. Are brick wall shooters ever satisfied???

11. I'd guess one pair of angles is for FX, the other for DX...

12. WillyPete

WillyPete

Jan 22, 2009
    London
    Both would be FX, being the largest angle of view you could get with the lens at any focal length.
    The minimum angle of view would be when it is zoomed to 200mm.

I don't think that DX would cut a view angle down by 22 degrees.

13. 34deg 20min is about 50% wider than 22deg 50min. These numbers are what you'd expect for the angle of view for 70mm on FX and DX respectively

12deg 20min is about 50% wider than 8deg - again what you'd expect for AoV at 200m on FX & DX

IIRC the VR I 70-200mm came out when the D2x was the top-line body, so it makes sense that its AoV was quoted for DX. Now the VR II version has been released to go with the D3x, the press release will quote FX figures...

14. Dave

Dave

Feb 7, 2007
    Suwanee, GA
    I would have rather seen more AF-S primes than updating these 2 zooms which IMHO really didn't need to be updated.

15. danameless

danameless

May 9, 2009
    NYC
    I doubt it, the street price on the VRII is $500 more than what the VRI is currently selling for. In this economy, how many people are going to drop $2,400 on a new lens that isn't much better than the 1st (at least spec wise, not sure about performance yet). I actually see used prices of VRI rising due to demand for it - especially if the VRII does not perform well.

16. WillyPete

WillyPete

Jan 22, 2009
    London
    I just saw this link and you're correct:
    http://imaging.nikon.com/products/imaging/lineup/lens/af/zoom/af-s_vr_zoom70-200mmf_28g_if/index.htm
    Same viewing angle on both lenses.

17. WillyPete

WillyPete

Jan 22, 2009
    London
    About as many who dropped their 28-70 for the 24-70, and the 17-35 for the 14-24.

18. Maybe Nikon are strapped for cash? I know we'd all rather see an AF-S 85mm f1.4 or an AF-S 80-400mm VR2, but it's great that Nikon are updating popular lenses. Sure, someone who already has the 70-200 on a DX body wouldn't be interested in the new one, but I'm sure the FX gang would love one that maintains sharpness and contrast across the whole frame. It would be brilliant if the 70-200 turns out to be as much of a legend as the venerable 14-24.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.