Yup it's official, 70-200 VR2

Maybe Nikon are strapped for cash? I know we'd all rather see an AF-S 85mm f1.4 or an AF-S 80-400mm VR2, but it's great that Nikon are updating popular lenses. Sure, someone who already has the 70-200 on a DX body wouldn't be interested in the new one, but I'm sure the FX gang would love one that maintains sharpness and contrast across the whole frame. It would be brilliant if the 70-200 turns out to be as much of a legend as the venerable 14-24.

I see why Nikon would update these from a business perpective but it's still disappointing there are no new fast primes.
Times are tough for Yen based manufacturers.
Yes it would be brilliant if the new 70-200 were a big optically homerun but it doesnt seem like it will be just based on Nikons own MTF chart.
I will probably upgrade despite all my grumbling.

It is not my favorite lens by far but I think the 70-200 has been used for more than 50% of actuations on my camera given the kids sports I like shooting on weekends.
Here are a couple with my old 70-200VR + TC14EII:
April31058e.jpg
Subscribe to see EXIF info for this image (if available)

May31435e.jpg
Subscribe to see EXIF info for this image (if available)

For all we know, Nikon have just made a great lens even better (at cost to consumer). What is there to complain about? I wonder how the weather sealing compares. I've used the 70-200 in pretty wet rainy conditions with no immediate problems but still have doubts about how it would perform in the long run without the use of a lens "poncho".

How about this?

My guess, it takes Nikkor about a year and a half to get from a lens concept to production shipment. Anybody has a better idea about this, please chime in.

We get the 14-24 Aug/07. It's better than the previous WA king, the 17-35.

We get the 24-70 Aug/07. I haven't tried the beast, but I've tried the 24-70, and it's very, very good. Anecdotally, a better overall normal zoom than the beast.

Nikkor OKs a new 70-200, designed to be significantly better than the current tele zoom king. The OK comes around June last year, after the D3 is out, before the D3X release, but in time to try the current 70-200 on pre-production samples of the D3X.

I see a pattern here. Maybe where none exists, but hey, that's what forums are for.

I believe that the new 70-200 will be significantly better than the old one. Similar in perceived improvement over the WA zoom and the normal zoom progression.

I also believe that Nikkor has already started an XX-400/4 pro lens. Could be a 100-400 (the Canon-eat-my-shorts lens), 150-400, or a 200-400. Whatever it is, it's already in the works. And it will cost about 1/3 more than the existing 200-400/4. And it will kick butt, because that's what Nikkor does.

I'm wondering if this new 70-200/2.8 will satisfy the brick wall and empty blue sky shooters? Those corners better be razor sharp for that price!!

Actually, the old version should have had no vignetting and sharp corners for its price!

How about this?

My guess, it takes Nikkor about a year and a half to get from a lens concept to production shipment. Anybody has a better idea about this, please chime in.

We get the 14-24 Aug/07. It's better than the previous WA king, the 17-35.

We get the 24-70 Aug/07. I haven't tried the beast, but I've tried the 24-70, and it's very, very good. Anecdotally, a better overall normal zoom than the beast.

Nikkor OKs a new 70-200, designed to be significantly better than the current tele zoom king. The OK comes around June last year, after the D3 is out, before the D3X release, but in time to try the current 70-200 on pre-production samples of the D3X.

I see a pattern here. Maybe where none exists, but hey, that's what forums are for.

I believe that the new 70-200 will be significantly better than the old one. Similar in perceived improvement over the WA zoom and the normal zoom progression.

I am inclined to agree with all of this.

Latest threads

Top Bottom