Yup, more GHB shots

Discussion in 'Birds' started by Tim Z, Dec 26, 2005.

1. This is basically our only common heron in these parts. Green herons are around, but quite uncommon. Great, Snowy & Cattle Egrets show up from time to time, but only when they're off course and none breeding. These were from Esquimalt Lagoon a few months back.

Cheers

Tim

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

2. Wonderful GBH captures Tim! Oddly, I have not seen one for a while now. BTW, do you know about Shoal Island?

3. SSchex

SSchex

May 18, 2005
    Louisiana, USA
    Great GBH captures. There are lots of these around where I am , but they are the scariest of the waders.

4. Thanks Rory

No, I have not heard of Shoal Island. Where and what is it?

t

5. It is just north of Crofton. You drive out along a causeway and it has a dry land sort. Just before the DLS there are two islands with a heron rookery numbering in the hundreds. It is just loaded with herons and eagles in June.

6. Those are very nice Tim, the ones around here try to fatten up on my goldfish..

Martin

7. Martin, that reminds me of a funny story from last Sept. I was in my blind around the creek and pond shooting the small tweeters, when I heard a fairly loud "krump" on the top of the hut by the pond. I was intent on my shooting, so I kinda ignored the noise and eventually forgot about it. About 15 minutes later, I heard another softer "swooshing" sound and decided to stick my head out the side window to see what the noises were. It was a GHB with his eyeball about 1 foot from my eyeball looking at him. It was hilarious to see the look on his face as he took off crashing through the bushes and tree branches. He was coming down for the goldfish in my pond, and I never saw him back after that day. :biggrin: He scared the crap outta me too!

t

8. Lol, that must have been something else to be that close.

Martin

9. Flew

Flew

Jan 25, 2005
    Alabama
    Very nice GBH's Tim. I got a few of these guys last Friday that I need to finish processing and post. :rolleyes:

10. Nice shots very well done