Z 20mm When You Have Z 14-30mm?

Curious if anyone here has both, or better yet, has replaced the 14-30mm with the 20mm?

I am looking to add a fast wide prime and the 20mm is tugging at my wallet. I also have the 14-30mm but am thinking that the 20mm would be better for low-light due to it being a faster lens. My mind then began to wonder if perhaps the 20mm could possibly replace my 14-30mm, so I thought that I would reach out to you guys. Am I totally crazy to even be thinking about this?

Would I miss the 14-20mm range? Perhaps at times. Would having both be somewhat redundant? Not sure, considering the speed of the 20mm and the usefulness of the wider aperture for low-light and/or astro.

I also considered the Laowa 15mm, but feel that I wouldn't get as much use out of it like I would the 20mm (or 14-30mm, for that matter).

No, money isn't boring a hole in my pocket, but I did just sell my Fuji X100V so I have some cash to play with. I normally search the used boards, but the 20mm is a bit too new to see many being moved.

Anyone with/had both? Let me hear from you! TIA

NCV

Real Name
Nigel
I think the Cameralabs verdict is worth looking at.

Personally I think the zoom is far more flexible and with the usable high ISO on the Z series you might be better upping the ISO in low light.

I now use fixed FL for special stuff like shift lenses and fisheye. Modern zooms are very good nowadays.

I guess it depends to some degree what you plan to shoot with those lenses. Also, wides are not often shot wide open (for landscapes) so an f/4 WA zoom should be just fine. I've used a 16-35 f/4 on my D850 as my only lens while traveling. Never cried out for more light, and the Z line is equally good in the dark.

Real Name
John Van Atta
I've been thinking about it too. But I haven't seen a comparison that shows the prime to be any *better* than the zoom, just faster. Which means I would need to have a solid reason for the fast aperture. Stars is kind of a binary thing, there's just going to be no comparison between the two if that's the goal--I found f4 to be unworkably slow at night, and the 14-30 wants to be at f5.6 at 20mm, too.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter
You all made excellent points. I won't be selling my 14-30mm, but ... I did get a nice deal on a used mint 20mm f/1.8G lens, so I went for it. I figured that the lens won't take up a lot of room in my bag and will give me another wide option (just not ultra wide).

Real Name
Paul
Sounds like you've made your decision, but here's my 2c for what it's worth ... I think the 20 only makes sense if one of the following is important for you:

- Wide field astro
- Interior architecture in dark places (but a tripod will do that too)
- Sunstars (the 14-30 doesn't really do nice sunstars)

There would be other primes I'd go for first (the 35 being the obvious one for me).

I tried the 14-30 but opted for the 20mm prime with no regrets. You can get very close with this lens and have very shallow DOF for such a wide focal length. I think the 20 compliments the other f/1.8 primes nicely.

i-HV36gKx-X3.jpg
Subscribe to see EXIF info for this image (if available)

i-njjwSxz-X3.jpg

i-cbVsvpV-X3.jpg

Last edited:
I have the 14-30 but am on the fence about the 20 f/1.8. I really like the 14-30 and thought for dark sky/astr/night shots maybe I’ll need the 20. A couple weeks ago I went to a astro/Milky Way workshop and the 14-30 did really well. If I was doing that professionally, I’d look at the prime but for the few times I’ll be shooting these subjects, I’m resolved that the 14-30 is quite capable of whatever I throw at it. But the temptation will always be there.......

Sounds like you've made your decision, but here's my 2c for what it's worth ... I think the 20 only makes sense if one of the following is important for you:

- Wide field astro
- Interior architecture in dark places (but a tripod will do that too)
- Sunstars (the 14-30 doesn't really do nice sunstars)

There would be other primes I'd go for first (the 35 being the obvious one for me).
I think the 14-30 makes pretty good sun stars!

Latest posts

Links on this page may be to our affiliates. Sales through affiliate links may benefit this site.
Nikon Cafe is a fan site and not associated with Nikon Corporation.
Forum post reactions by Twemoji: https://github.com/twitter/twemoji
Copyright © 2005-2019 Amin Forums, LLC
Top Bottom