Z 6 II and Z 7 II

Butlerkid

Cafe Ambassador
Administrator
Real Name
Karen
I don't think that anyone (maybe the Sony A9 II is the closest) has gotten to the Nikon D5/D6/D500 levels of autofocus. I still have some backlight focusing issues on every mirrorless camera I've used (Including my friends Sony A9) that do not track as well and have issues with backlit subjects. Some of it might have to do with the separate AF module that the DSLR uses and some of it might have to do with Nikon's algorithm.

Someday I think we will get there, but I believe everyone in the mirrorless sector is struggling to get close to the, IMHO, superior AF performance that the DSLR still holds.

Might they be able to get to Nikon D750/D780 levels? Yes, I believe so - but I still think that mirrorless matching DSLR AF is still around 2 more generations of camera tech away or approximately 5 years.
From trusted user sources, the new Canon R5 AF/tracking is as good as or maybe better than the Sony for wildlife, birds and sports. If I were to switch to mirrorless, the Canon is the first body I would consider.

This is responding to the pro set (wedding, event photogs) that need the extra battery life and two card slots. For most of us the discounts on the prior versions will be a bonus. IMHO, its a nice incremental move in the Z lineage. Now how about those lenses like the 100-400!!

This is responding to the pro set (wedding, event photogs) that need the extra battery life and two card slots. For most of us the discounts on the prior versions will be a bonus. IMHO, its a nice incremental move in the Z lineage. Now how about those lenses like the 100-400!!

Yep..... Nikon needs to bring out the lenses they've been promising, plus many more that they haven't even mentioned yet, but which some users would be expecting to have available.

I'll be interested to see how the dual processors will improve AF tracking in regular mechanical shutter use. People are commenting this is just an incremental update, but Nikon basically released a cheap Z6 in a Z5 body, so the additional processing with the mk. II bodies must have some advantages to justify the increased price. Nikon is still using the same sensor with the Z6/Z7II, but I'm guessing the dual processors will speed up AF acquisition and lens focusing. I've also been hearing good things about Canon's DPAF and how it's improving and better than some ways over than Sony's AF.

Butlerkid

Cafe Ambassador
Administrator
Real Name
Karen
I will keep my eye on reviews, i hope some of the improvements, will make the Z7 II wort the little more $$ for when i go look at wildlife.
It appears to me that the Z6II would be the one for wildlife......faster frame rate, larger buffer, etc. The large MP Z7II would be for landscapes,weddings, etc.

currently my main focus is landscape, wildlife, macro, astro and night time landscape. I may from time to time take family events but that is VERY rare since i tend to avoid having people in my pictures.

Real Name
Andy
After all the criticism Nikon had to endure over the initial AF capabilities of the Z 6 and Z 7, and again following the incrementally small improvements that came via firmware, I suspect they are intentionally using broad terms to market the AF improvements in the Mk II bodies. I do hope they are underpromising with the intent of overdelivering.

Butlerkid

Cafe Ambassador
Administrator
Real Name
Karen
After all the criticism Nikon had to endure over the initial AF capabilities of the Z 6 and Z 7, and again following the incrementally small improvements that came via firmware, I suspect they are intentionally using broad terms to market the AF improvements in the Mk II bodies. I do hope they are underpromising with the intent of overdelivering.
Maybe.......hopefully....but that ain't their style. LOL! In today's competitive market, as an underdog, they need to promise BIG improvement....and DELIVER!

And charge big bucks, that no one can afford?
Nope, not a good plan.
Contracting market, pandemic interrupted supply and manufacturing chains, changing technologies, and aggressive competition . . . I'm just really glad I'm not in that boardroom.

Has Nikon ever been at the bleeding edge of technology? It seems to me that what they've always done is produce durable,, competent cameras with exceedingly good lenses. The Z line is clearly a play at producing class leading lenses in the mid-to-high price range.

And honestly, much of the criticism leveled at the initial Z offering was from clickbait obsessed you tubers.

Contracting market, pandemic interrupted supply and manufacturing chains, changing technologies, and aggressive competition . . . I'm just really glad I'm not in that boardroom.

Has Nikon ever been at the bleeding edge of technology? It seems to me that what they've always done is produce durable,, competent cameras with exceedingly good lenses. The Z line is clearly a play at producing class leading lenses in the mid-to-high price range.

And honestly, much of the criticism leveled at the initial Z offering was from clickbait obsessed you tubers.
Right on. Probably the truest words on the topic yet. Thank you.

As a current Z6 owner that is happy with the camera, these updates are a bit “meh” IMO.

A second card slot, an AF upgrade, and the ability to use a ($400) vertical grip? I’m not feeling the need to upgrade, and that’s not good IMO, because Nikon was already on rocky ground with their financials before the pandemic.

The one thing the Z6 II has going for it is that it’s $500 cheaper than Canon’s R6.
The Z62 has three times the buffer capacity of the Z6 and 14fps compared to the Z6 and it's 12fps, this is due to the Z62 using dual expeed 6 processors. And let's not forget a functional vertical grip.

Last edited:

Butlerkid

Cafe Ambassador
Administrator
Real Name
Karen
Nikon's panel discussion had one glaring person missing....at least IMHO. Not a single wildlife or birding photographer. That's when I knew "the wait" was not over for Nikon's wildlife and bird photographers. I didn't even have to look at the specs to know I wasn't interested in the Z6II or Z7II.

Nikon's panel discussion had one glaring person missing....at least IMHO. Not a single wildlife or birding photographer. That's when I knew "the wait" was not over for Nikon's wildlife and bird photographers. I didn't even have to look at the specs to know I wasn't interested in the Z6II or Z7II.
This is why I will stick with my D850 with battery grip and D500 for the foreseeable future, they have never let me down. I would like some of the video capabilities of the Z line of cameras, maybe the next round of Z cameras will do the trick.
But who knows, maybe the ZII line might do. I will wait for some reviews from wildlife/bird photographers, until then, all is well in DSLR land for me.

If the Z6 or Z7 doesn't meet your needs with regard to a particular genre of photography, it doesn't seem realistic to me to expect that the Z6 II or Z7 II would. If and when Nikon comes up with mirrorless cameras that have such a dramatic change in capabilities, they won't be called a Z6 or Z7 unless the company also has a dramatic change in the meaning of their naming nomenclature; the names would be Z8 or Z9 or something similarly completely different.

I took the plunge, and pre-ordered the Z7ii with an eye toward it replacing my D850. While I have liked the images it has delivered, I never truly loved the D850 like I do my D5.

I had been tossing the idea back and forth, and the email I got from NPS today pushed me over the edge. I've never been one to pre-order before, and this is the first time I've done so.

I took the plunge, and pre-ordered the Z7ii with an eye toward it replacing my D850. While I have liked the images it has delivered, I never truly loved the D850 like I do my D5.

I had been tossing the idea back and forth, and the email I got from NPS today pushed me over the edge. I've never been one to pre-order before, and this is the first time I've done so.

Did you order any Z lenses to use with it?

Did you order any Z lenses to use with it?
No - I have a great stable of lenses, including the holy trinity, so I will use them with the converter at first. Since I will use it mainly for portraiture, I'm really looking forward to the new 85mm lens that is now showing on the S lens roadmap.

Latest threads

Top Bottom