Z 6 II and Z 7 II

Real Name
Andy
With few exceptions (D810 to D850 being one), It's usually not worth upgrading to the next model cycle.
Among the numerous upgrades in the D800/810/850 progression, I feel that the inclusion of the D5/D500 AF capability in the D850 is particularly significant. I'd be very interested in hearing your impressions of the Z 7 II AF capability.

Real Name
Andy
Z6II review. Pretty impressive face detection, autofocus upgrade from the Z6
this reviewer who typically shoots in low light and black and white is very impressed with the Z6II capabilities.
I just watched this video (yes, I'm way behind on the YouTubers that I follow). One of the best part of Will Hall's videos is that he truly is a real world user. His thoughts on the AF improvements of the Z 6 II are very convincing.

Among the numerous upgrades in the D800/810/850 progression, I feel that the inclusion of the D5/D500 AF capability in the D850 is particularly significant. I'd be very interested in hearing your impressions of the Z 7 II AF capability.
The D850 does not have the D5’s AF capability.

I simply did not trust the D850’s focus with my 105mm 1.4 wide open during outdoor portrait shoots. I would use my D5 because it never, and I mean NEVER, missed focus.

This is the main reason I purchased the Z 7ii - I loved the images I got with the D850’s sensor, but I wanted something that I could trust to AF wide open

Real Name
Andy
I simply did not trust the D850’s focus with my 105mm 1.4 wide open during outdoor portrait shoots.
Very interesting. I had presumed that 153-point AF system of the D5, grafted into the D850 would achieve equivalent AF performance. I have a D500 (same 153-point system), and it is certainly the best AF body that I've ever owned, but I would not say that it never misses.

After you've had some time with the Z 7 II, I'd love to know if its AF improves substantially over the D850, as well as any comparison to the D500, if you have used that body.

Very interesting. I had presumed that 153-point AF system of the D5, grafted into the D850 would achieve equivalent AF performance. I have a D500 (same 153-point system), and it is certainly the best AF body that I've ever owned, but I would not say that it never misses.

After you've had some time with the Z 7 II, I'd love to know if its AF improves substantially over the D850, as well as any comparison to the D500, if you have used that body.
I had the D500, and loved how fast and accurate it was. It made a great pair with the D850, but I found a really good deal on a refurbished D5 two years ago, and had no use for the D500 from that point on.

As for the D5, there are so many times where I thought there was no way I got the shot, only to find that I did. I do believe that the D850 may have the same AF sensor, but the processing power is nowhere near as quick as on the D5.

I will be happy to share my experience with the Z 7ii as I continue shooting with it.

Latest posts

Links on this page may be to our affiliates. Sales through affiliate links may benefit this site.
Nikon Cafe is a fan site and not associated with Nikon Corporation.
Forum post reactions by Twemoji: https://github.com/twitter/twemoji
Copyright © 2005-2019 Amin Forums, LLC
Top Bottom