Z 6 II and Z 7 II

Real Name
Andrew
Are you signed up for one?

No, but I might pick one up from the local camera store....maybe....possibly....;)

I'm honestly still very happy with the Z6 Mark I. Just was running around with it today shooting some street art and such with it and the 24-70/4S.

Last edited:
Real Name
Leif
I suppose it will be at least one more generation before Nikon produces this. For the work you describe, I assume you're shooting predominantly in a controlled and stationary environment. Have you considered tethered captures with a laptop or tablet? There are several viable solutions.

I shoot in the field often walking many miles with camera gear, tripod and a box to store collected fungi. I don’t want to carry a laptop (weight, inconvenienc, damage, cost), and I don’t want to buy a tablet. I have an iPad but I don’t think it can connect to a Nikon DSLR.

Snapbridge works with the D500 but you can’t zoom in making it useless. Any idea if the Z50/6/7 cameras support zooming in on the live view feed with snapbridge?

Real Name
Leif
Do you mean digitally zooming like hitting the + key on the back of the camera? I think the answer is no. I have used SnapBridge with my Z 7 and do not recall seeing a control for that.

Thanks. Yes, exactly, like using the + and - buttons but the image appears on your iPhone, or whatever is running Snapbridge. Odd as some cameras DO support that feature.

Real Name
Andrew
What is it you are looking for in the Z6 II that you don't have with the Z6?

Honestly, its purely the curiosity on the AF system. Is it truly noticeably better than the current Z6, which I find very good.
Other than that, nothing else piques my interest in it. I was considering selling my Df and the Em5 Mark III for it, which would leave me very little to pay out of pocket...however, a bathroom remodel project is eating into my "fun budget". So if those cameras get sold, then it will go toward bathroom upgrades. And it needs it!

My excitement is really ramped up now. I just received an email from NPS that my z7II just shipped to B&H, so I will hopefully have it in my hands next week ?

I can not wait for reviews and other feedback about the Z7II to come
Spring 2021 is going to be interesting, when i upgrade from my z50 for landscape and wildlife.

I just had my first shoot with the Z 7ii, and I'll post a few images a little later.

I found something interesting with Nikon Transfer 2 - It doesn't read the second card in the z 7ii like it does with any other two slot Nikon I've had.
Also, the average size of the uncompressed raw files is around 80MB - Raw files on my D850 are usually around 45-50MB. Definitely not the same sensor.

Last edited:
I bought my Z7 on June 2020 and I couldn't be happier. To be honest I quite not understand the excitement I see mostly on fakebook groups about the Z6 II / Z7 II considering that the image quality is exactly the same. I am not a professional photographer and when I take photos I nearly never rush, I take my time. So faster eye autofocus or dual cards are not selling points for me. Maybe at some point I could get a Z6 II if I have money to spare, but to me its a much more worthy investment to buy lenses, like the 70-200 f/2.8 that I've put on my target lately. My guess is that the excitement I see for the Mark II cameras is coming either from professional who shoot fast moving people (ex. weddings) and they need that extra speed or videographers who need the 4K 60fps. For other types of photography I don't see nearly any benefit. Except a) if your Z6/Z7 has had already aged or b) you have bought all lenses you want and you just need to buy something new to get excited.

I bought my Z7 on June 2020 and I couldn't be happier. To be honest I quite not understand the excitement I see mostly on fakebook groups about the Z6 II / Z7 II considering that the image quality is exactly the same. I am not a professional photographer and when I take photos I nearly never rush, I take my time. So faster eye autofocus or dual cards are not selling points for me. Maybe at some point I could get a Z6 II if I have money to spare, but to me its a much more worthy investment to buy lenses, like the 70-200 f/2.8 that I've put on my target lately. My guess is that the excitement I see for the Mark II cameras is coming either from professional who shoot fast moving people (ex. weddings) and they need that extra speed or videographers who need the 4K 60fps. For other types of photography I don't see nearly any benefit. Except a) if your Z6/Z7 has had already aged or b) you have bought all lenses you want and you just need to buy something new to get excited.
With few exceptions (D810 to D850 being one), It's usually not worth upgrading to the next model cycle. As a working professional, I'm testing out the Z 7ii to see if it can replace my D850 for studio and outdoor portrait work. When it comes to low light and action, I haven't seen anything that tops my D5.

As it stands right now, my F mount lenses all shine on the Z 7ii.

Latest threads

Top Bottom