Z APS-C

Nikon needs to make two APS-C Z bodies, one with a viewfinder and one without. Make sure both have a mic input and you'll catch the attention of the vlogging community quickly!

Real Name
Bill Walderman
I'm in agreement. A viewfinder is essential for me. But it seems most people today, whose experience of photography is likely exclusively with cellphones, aren't used to viewfinders and maybe won't miss one. Whenever I hand my camera to someone else -- in a restaurant, for example -- they invariably hold it out in front of them and use the LCD screen to shoot.

I'm in agreement. A viewfinder is essential for me. But it seems most people today, whose experience of photography is likely exclusively with cellphones, aren't used to viewfinders and maybe won't miss one. Whenever I hand my camera to someone else -- in a restaurant, for example -- they invariably hold it out in front of them and use the LCD screen to shoot.
You are right. The problem with me is that I can see fine for everything apart from "reading" distances. Without a viewfinder that I can adjust to my sight I would be spending whatever on a "point and hope" rather than a "point and shoot". Nikon isn't exactly alone in excluding everyone like me.

I find a LCD frustrating to use. Hard to hold it steady with your arms stretched out, hard to see it any closer, hard to get things square and parallel. On a tripod it's different, and useful, but I must prefer a viewfinder. The Z6 has a great one.

I find a LCD frustrating to use. Hard to hold it steady with your arms stretched out, hard to see it any closer, hard to get things square and parallel. On a tripod it's different, and useful, but I must prefer a viewfinder. The Z6 has a great one.
Can't see 'em in bright light and I have to dig out my reading glasses.

Why would Nikon make a DX Z camera? There is no logic in Nikon going down that route IMHO.

If Nikon want a vlogging camera then make the next camera a FF Z5 with a fully articulating screen but not a DX version of a Z camera.

Real Name
David
It's hard to tell if the body is any smaller, if they are going to make a DX version I hope they have found some why to shave a little off.

I could almost live without and EVF. I prefer to have one, but unless I'm in REALLY bright light or tracking moving subjects (where it's a must IMHO) I've found I do pretty well without it. I think it's actually helped with framing things I'm shooting these days (non event / portrait stuff). But then I see about 90 of the typical 120 degrees with just my right eye so.......

But, what's that on the top view:
2019-08-06_10-43-10.png
Subscribe to see EXIF info for this image (if available)

I'm not sure but with the smaller sensor there looks like there might actually be room for a Sony RX style popup. Just a thought. Of course they'd need a killer lens to go with it, say 16 - <80mm f/4.

Last edited:

kilofoxtrott

European Ambassador
Real Name
Klaus
I think the costs to produce a DX or FX Z-camera is the same.
But why should Nikon open a fourth production line for lenses. Not intersting in the commercial way.

Kind regards
Klaus

The problem is that you guys are thinking in terms of the camera. Think in terms of markets. Like it or not, I'd guess that 95% of people taking photos these days use their phone. Scrunching your eye up to peer through a lens is as quaint to them as using a rotary dial. Holding a device up and looking at a screen is how you are 'suppose to' do it.

DX is a different market. It is perceived to be the little brother to the full frame even through the production costs - at least the start-up costs - may be similar. And because it is perceived to be 'lesser', it will be priced lower and that is going to bring in (hopefully) some of the price-sensitive buyers. I'm pretty sure that Nikon would gladly accept expanding their market in exchange for a lower margin - particularly if it funnels customers into the Nikon ecosystem- that is there may be downstream revenue that they might not otherwise capture.

DX has other benefits. I think of it as a 1.5 teleconverter that doesn't take away a stop- or a smaller, cheaper back-up that uses the same lenses and battery (hopefully).

Just look at the last 6 years of CIPA sales records. Anything, literally anything, that you can do to keep you in the game is what these companies are going to do.

I get that it seems counter-intuitive to expand your lens mount and shrink your sensor :)

The problem is that you guys are thinking in terms of the camera. Think in terms of markets. Like it or not, I'd guess that 95% of people taking photos these days use their phone. Scrunching your eye up to peer through a lens is as quaint to them as using a rotary dial. Holding a device up and looking at a screen is how you are 'suppose to' do it.

DX is a different market. It is perceived to be the little brother to the full frame even through the production costs - at least the start-up costs - may be similar. And because it is perceived to be 'lesser', it will be priced lower and that is going to bring in (hopefully) some of the price-sensitive buyers. I'm pretty sure that Nikon would gladly accept expanding their market in exchange for a lower margin - particularly if it funnels customers into the Nikon ecosystem- that is there may be downstream revenue that they might not otherwise capture.

DX has other benefits. I think of it as a 1.5 teleconverter that doesn't take away a stop- or a smaller, cheaper back-up that uses the same lenses and battery (hopefully).

Just look at the last 6 years of CIPA sales records. Anything, literally anything, that you can do to keep you in the game is what these companies are going to do.

I get that it seems counter-intuitive to expand your lens mount and shrink your sensor :)
Put that way, it makes eminent sense to me. Yes, I won't every buy or recommend one, but you are probably right; there is a market our there for such a small beast. Thanks for the gentle nudge toward reality :D

I just don't get why Nikon would make a Z (DX) range, if they want to get the vloggers then revamp the existing DX range of cameras and create a specific vloggers camera from one of those models. The existing DX range is good, there are some great sensors out there so use them with some useful ultra wide to short telephoto lenses, 8k video, no viewfinder, external mic sockets etc.

I traveled in Israel last spring with a Sony A6500 and 4 primes. 12mmf2 16mmf1.4 28mmf2 and 50mmf1.8. The full kit fit in a 5L Sling bag. A small fast kit has its place.

Real Name
David
I just don't get why Nikon would make a Z (DX) range, if they want to get the vloggers then revamp the existing DX range of cameras and create a specific vloggers camera from one of those models. The existing DX range is good, there are some great sensors out there so use them with some useful ultra wide to short telephoto lenses, 8k video, no viewfinder, external mic sockets etc.
I think the concept of "just revamping the existing" is easier said than done. Not mention pulling out the SLR parts, including the OVF, is still an engineering and retools process. If you have to do that anyway than what do you gain that using the adapter doesn't already do for you? Sure you might be able to reuse some of the D parts, but buy using some of the Z parts you spread those costs out.

That said I am on the fence as to weather it really even makes sense. If they are able to shave some size off and if that other part on the top is a popup EVF than it might have something to offer. If they release some lenses for it, something they haven't really done so well with for DX in the past.

Otherwise Sony and Fuji already offer smaller and as good or better APS-C options.

I suppose for every FX camera several DX cameras are sold, or used to be sold, only major manufacturer and big dealers know for certain.

The cost ratio of FX:DX today is probably less today than what it was 10-15 years ago, still DX sensor is cheaper, and majority, at least those who still use real camera rather than phone, prefer cheap camera with cheap kit lens to any top of the range alternative.

Having Z mount camera “dumbed down” to DX sensor, SD card, with maybe low grade EVF, built in or external or live view only screen and fitted with either cheapest FX or dedicated DX lens makes good business sense. But than we don’t know as we don’t run the business.

I think that Nikon launching a ZDX line is bonkers, Nikon are up against it launching Z lenses and rumour has it that they are going to do a new camera line based on the Z camera with a DX sensor. I just don't get it, Nikon don't have the resources of Canon or Sony so will struggle to make cameras and lenses for 4 formats, not a good move IMHO.

Maybe I should just jump ship and get a Fuji GFX 50R or 50S whilst my gear still has some value, very disappointed if this comes to fruition as I don't believe that it will be good for Nikon in the long run.

But I am just one user of Nikon gear, in reality I know nothing, if Nikon believe that this is the way forward then I hope that they are right and I hope that they get it right. Only time will tell.

Links on this page may be to our affiliates. Sales through affiliate links may benefit this site.
Nikon Cafe is a fan site and not associated with Nikon Corporation.
Forum post reactions by Twemoji: https://github.com/twitter/twemoji
Copyright © 2005-2019 Amin Forums, LLC
Top Bottom