Z APS-C

I can imagine this will be Nikon’s first “entry level” Z body. The rumor holds that there will be a provision for a hot shoe mounted evf, so that would solve one set of problems. The mystery area on the top plate would likely be a pop-up flash.
I personally have no interest in a DX body, but (as long as there is no holdup releasing fx lenses) I have no issue with a DX version being available.
I suspect if Nikon really wants to cover both formats with the Z series, we have a few exciting reveals coming between now and the Olympics.

Real Name
David
I can imagine this will be Nikon’s first “entry level” Z body. The rumor holds that there will be a provision for a hot shoe mounted evf, so that would solve one set of problems. The mystery area on the top plate would likely be a pop-up flash.
I personally have no interest in a DX body, but (as long as there is no holdup releasing fx lenses) I have no issue with a DX version being available.
I suspect if Nikon really wants to cover both formats with the Z series, we have a few exciting reveals coming between now and the Olympics.
Probably right on the pop up, but I think an EVF would be better than a flash.

If they think mirrorless will ultimately replace dSLR, then they need an inexpensive entry level/consumer camera.
And as was said, they have to have something to compete with Canon and Sony.
If you go to Costco, it isn't the FX cameras that are on display, it is the cheaper DX cameras.

Why not a simplified FX camera, and a low cost consumer grade line of lenses.
But with Sony pushing the features of the A6xxx series with each release, Nikon can't dumb down the entry camera, or they loose in the comparison.

So like it or not, I think the FX and DX markets are here to stay.

Yikes!
I buy, own and use my cameras and lenses to create pictures that I value. Value of the equipment be damned!
HaHa, yes like most people I buy to use not as an investment, but I have invested my money into Nikon so would like think that there is retained value going forward.

However, my worry is that if Nikon diversify too much and then end up in the situation where they cannot deliver in the longterm a lens system for the Z range then we risk having a system that doesn't evolve and in the very worst case becomes obsolete (I really hope that this doesn't happen), and if I want to upgrade or change my Z system at some point in the future then my kit is valueless as it cannot be sold on.

I have stated in a number of posts that I am really impressed with my Z7 and kit lens combo, it is so much better than my DSLR in many ways, I am adding a Z 50/f1.8S next week which from reviews seems to be a very good lens. I really want Nikon to succeed with the Z range I just hope that Nikon don't diversify too much, take a step too far and then not be able to deliver.

Would I jump ship, yes, but only if I saw that Nikon was not delivering the system that I wanted or needed and there were better alternatives elsewhere, with luck that won't happen.

My concern for Nikon at this point is the very slow pace of projection for the Z series and a tangible lack of transparency in their plans. If Nikon is to remain anything other than a niche player, they are going to have to treat the market like a 21st century reality instead of a 20th century memory. Consumers (professional and amateur alike) need to know where things are headed. Nikon desperately needs to issue a statement along the lines of “Hey! We have some serious artillery planned for the Olympics. Watch for the fireworks!” I believe that without at least one f4 400-600mm Z mount lens (or at least a 300/2.8) and a Z body sitting parallel with the D5/6 that there will be a strong movement in the pro sports shooter pool away from Nikon. They need to start showing the world that Nikon is capable of not only competing with Canon and Sony in the milc arena, but blowing them out of the water.

My concern for Nikon at this point is the very slow pace of projection for the Z series and a tangible lack of transparency in their plans. If Nikon is to remain anything other than a niche player, they are going to have to treat the market like a 21st century reality instead of a 20th century memory. Consumers (professional and amateur alike) need to know where things are headed. Nikon desperately needs to issue a statement along the lines of “Hey! We have some serious artillery planned for the Olympics. Watch for the fireworks!” I believe that without at least one f4 400-600mm Z mount lens (or at least a 300/2.8) and a Z body sitting parallel with the D5/6 that there will be a strong movement in the pro sports shooter pool away from Nikon. They need to start showing the world that Nikon is capable of not only competing with Canon and Sony in the milc arena, but blowing them out of the water.
I have been commenting for some time about the lack of communication from Nikon on their Z range of lenses it really is very poor.

This week I saw that Canon have released new RF lenses including a 15-135/f2.8 for around £2400, pricey yes but what a great walkabout lens, and it has IS which some of the RF lenses have been missing.

So why can't Nikon open its mind to new lenses, lenses which break a mould not just replicate tradition, where is the 24-105 or the 24-120 for the Z cameras, where is the ground breaking 15-135 on the Z cameras? Nikon has a brand new lens mount offering the scope to re-write the lens book and come up with a range of different lenses and Nikon comes up with almost the same as it's F mount, only the 14-30 shows a slight deviation from the 16-35, otherwise what innovation has Nikon bought to the table with the Z mount lenses.

If Nikon release a 24mm prime lens this year there will be 4 Z mount lenses covering 24mm, why doe we need 4 lenses covering the 24mm focal length Nikon?

IMHO Nikon needs to scrap the current lens plan and start thinking out of the box, come up with some lenses that offer something different, using the existing 14-30mm as a wide angle give us a 28-135/f4 and a 100-350/f4 or how about a 28-300/f4 to pair with the 14-30 to give the ultimate two lens kit for travel.

Come on Nikon, wake up and start looking at what is going on in the market place, you're being left behind.

Apologies for getting on the soapbox and having a rant, I just get so annoyed and frustrated about Nikon falling behind on the lens front when they have such great cameras in the Z6 and Z7.

However, there is potentially some good news, it would seem that the Z 70-200/f2.8 will be in the shops by Christmas, that is the feedback from a well known camera store.

There was a time when I agonised over lack of announcement from Nikon of my next must have lens, in the process I moved to Leica but I am back with vengeance, Z system is terrific. New S 50mm f1.8 plays in Leica league, for a fraction of cost, how do I know this, I use Summilux M 50 ASPH and APO Summicron M 50mm.

Canon didn’t release but announce new 15-35 and 24-70 wide zooms, have you checked the weight. Nikon is communicating, new 85 is coming next week, rumours are 24 prime will be announced shortly.

Real Name
Ian
This week I saw that Canon have released new RF lenses including a 15-135/f2.8 for around £2400, pricey yes but what a great walkabout lens, and it has IS which some of the RF lenses have been missing.
Martin, do you care to share a link to this 15-135mm f/2.8 lens you're talking about?

I think you're talking about the 15-35 f/2.8, which comes in at 840g and $2,300. Meanwhile, Nikon's 14-30 f/4 comes in at 485g and $1,300.

That extra stop isn't important to me, so I'd rather save the 355g in my bag and $1,000 in my wallet. Canon's system is of zero interest to me because nearly all of their lenses are uber-expensive which I can't afford, are large and heavy which makes packing and carrying them a pain, and get put on a camera that is very mediocre IMO.

If you want a robust, developed mirrorless system then look at Sony. For years they took beatings from the CaNikon crowd about "look how thin their lens line-up is", but it seems as if the shoe is on the other foot now: Sony has an extensive lens portfolio, whereas Canon and Nikon are stuck playing catch-up.

Real Name
Andy
If Nikon release a 24mm prime lens this year there will be 4 Z mount lenses covering 24mm, why doe we need 4 lenses covering the 24mm focal length Nikon?
There is definitely too much overlap between the released and announced offerings.

If you want a robust, developed mirrorless system then look at Sony. For years they took beatings from the CaNikon crowd about "look how thin their lens line-up is", but it seems as if the shoe is on the other foot now: Sony has an extensive lens portfolio, whereas Canon and Nikon are stuck playing catch-up.
A couple friends who are interested in getting into photography after a long hiatus have asked my gear buying advice lately. Most formerly shot Canon, and know that I'm loyal to Nikon. All are surprised when I recommend neither. My rationale is that if you don't have any existing ties to a system, the best currently-available choice for building a FF kit from the ground up is Sony. Between Sony's lineup of consumer grade, GM, and Zeiss optics, plus the high functionality of their various Alpha bodies, I can't justify recommending Nikon to someone who doesn't already have plenty of F-mount glass.

There is definitely too much overlap between the released and announced offerings.

A couple friends who are interested in getting into photography after a long hiatus have asked my gear buying advice lately. Most formerly shot Canon, and know that I'm loyal to Nikon. All are surprised when I recommend neither. My rationale is that if you don't have any existing ties to a system, the best currently-available choice for building a FF kit from the ground up is Sony. Between Sony's lineup of consumer grade, GM, and Zeiss optics, plus the high functionality of their various Alpha bodies, I can't justify recommending Nikon to someone who doesn't already have plenty of F-mount glass.
I agree with you. I would have gone Sony mirrorless if I didn't already have Nikon glass to use on the FTZ. But, I am very happy with my Z6.

I would never have gone with Sony - their user interface is very crappy compared to Nikon. And UI is way more important than you think.

Martin, do you care to share a link to this 15-135mm f/2.8 lens you're talking about?

I think you're talking about the 15-35 f/2.8, which comes in at 840g and $2,300. Meanwhile, Nikon's 14-30 f/4 comes in at 485g and $1,300.

That extra stop isn't important to me, so I'd rather save the 355g in my bag and $1,000 in my wallet. Canon's system is of zero interest to me because nearly all of their lenses are uber-expensive which I can't afford, are large and heavy which makes packing and carrying them a pain, and get put on a camera that is very mediocre IMO.

Screen shot of the e-mail I received from Park Cameras in the UK, I didn't click on the link just took the info at face value, when you follow the link I find that the e-mail has a small typo, it should read 15-35mm :facepalm:

Subscribe to see EXIF info for this image (if available)

Links on this page may be to our affiliates. Sales through affiliate links may benefit this site.
Nikon Cafe is a fan site and not associated with Nikon Corporation.
Forum post reactions by Twemoji: https://github.com/twitter/twemoji
Copyright © 2005-2019 Amin Forums, LLC
Top Bottom