Z Battery Pack

Real Name
Ian
Rumors have it coming in at $200.

While I've never felt like I needed a battery pack extension for the Z6 (a vertical grip may be different, but I'm not pining for one of those either), $200 is a bit steep. I wonder how quickly the Asian knock-offs will surface, as they'll certainly represent a better value than the OE Nikon piece (plus, since it's not a vertical grip, there's no need to worry about chintzy feeling buttons. It's simply a plastic housing with some electrical contacts in it).

I still think Nikon should be embarrassed how they dropped the ball on this. Designing the Z6/7 to only take a battery grip and not a functioning vertical grip is very disappointing. I would pay a price similar to all their other vertical grips, but will not be buying a battery only grip. The battery life is much better then what was put out when the camera was first introduced, so I see no need for it. Buttons and dials would make it easier on me and for that I would pay.

Real Name
Ian
Considering that the vertical grip for the D850 sells for $400, the price of $200 for a Z system battery pack seems in line to me if indeed that rumor proves to be fairly accurate.
I agree the price is in-line given what Nikon charges for vertical grips (overpriced IMO).

Having said that, I have two genuine Nikon vertical grips for my D500’s (both purchased second hand for a combined price of less than what a new one would cost). I purchased a well-reviewed knock-off, but it became clear very quickly that the build quality, while very good, what not the same a the genuine Nikon grip. The differences were most notable in the buttons/dials, which were far more tactile on the Nikon grip vs. knock-off grip. The quality of the housing and rubber grip material was nearly indistinguishable between the two.

Taking this in to account, since there will be no dials or buttons on the battery pack, my assumption is that the knock-off versions will be every bit as good as Nikon’s version, but at about 25% of the cost.

I still think Nikon should be embarrassed how they dropped the ball on this. Designing the Z6/7 to only take a battery grip and not a functioning vertical grip is very disappointing. I would pay a price similar to all their other vertical grips, but will not be buying a battery only grip. The battery life is much better then what was put out when the camera was first introduced, so I see no need for it. Buttons and dials would make it easier on me and for that I would pay.
I agree this is disappointing (albeit expected based on the mock-ups). I still want one because of the presumably better balance and feel with longer lenses.

I will admit, though, I had hopes Nikon would somehow wirelessly couple a release via Bluetooth or WiFi.

I don't know what happened, but Nikon became real stingy when it came to grips after the D700/D300 bodies. Somebody at Nikon accounting must of been furious when they found out D300 battery grip owners could use the same grip on the D700! After that Nikon made sure each DSLR had it's own unique battery grip priced at $400 and up! :mad::dead::D

Also the Nikon last battery grip (I can remember) with no shutter button was the Nikon F80/N80 SLR!

Real Name
Randy
Why anyone would want a bigger mirrorless body baffles me..... I thought mirrorless was smaller, anyway that’s my interest

I don’t even like walking aground with s grip on my d500 or D850

Why anyone would want a bigger mirrorless body baffles me..... I thought mirrorless was smaller, anyway that’s my interest

I don’t even like walking aground with s grip on my d500 or D850
I'm not sure why it baffles you. I understand there are Z6/7 users that enjoy the small size, just as I'm sure there are other like me that feel the camera is to small. While I will not add a battery only grip to my Z6, I do hope when the Z8/9 come out Nikon also releases a functional vertical grip.
I don't care if Nikon never produces a mirrorless body that has the vertical function built in like a D5, but there should be options for those who want the added bulk to improve feel in the hands, and/or added functions of controls.

Without vertical controls, it is my opinion this grip is for the mostly video users to have more battery life as they rarely if ever shoot portrait orientation.
My thoughts entirely, but also useful for those who are using a heavier lens handheld as the grip will help give some balance to the setup.

Links on this page may be to our affiliates. Sales through affiliate links may benefit this site.
Nikon Cafe is a fan site and not associated with Nikon Corporation.
Forum post reactions by Twemoji: https://github.com/twitter/twemoji
Copyright © 2005-2019 Amin Forums, LLC
Top Bottom