Z CFexpress support?

My sense is there is little need to buy the CFexpress cards at present. Where they come into play is going forward to a time when XQD cards are discontinued. I can't imagine the mainstream card manufacturers will maintain production of both cards once CFexpress is established in the market.

I imagine the CFE cards will offer potential benefits for video shooters. Once the RAW video update (with hardware) is made available, I bet the write speeds will jump to match the capability of CFE. It sounds like that particular update won’t offer any tangible benefits unless you need to shoot RAW video.

The Z cameras were designed with the CFexpress cards in mind. Thats why the buffer is so small. With the addition of the CFexpress cards the use of a buffer will be minimized if needed at all with the Z 6.

Thom Hogan writes, "While CFExpress exists to provide even faster potential performance than the 1GBs write speed that XQD is theoretically capable of, don’t expect using a CFExpress card in a Z6 or Z7 in the future to speed up the write speeds during shooting: you’ll still get something around the 240MBs maximum we currently see, because the hardware in the camera can’t write faster than that."

The pundits on DPReview on the other hand, all disagree and are all over the map on their understanding of the capabilities of the 2 cards, their cost, their dependability, and camera write speeds.

Thom Hogan writes, "While CFExpress exists to provide even faster potential performance than the 1GBs write speed that XQD is theoretically capable of, don’t expect using a CFExpress card in a Z6 or Z7 in the future to speed up the write speeds during shooting: you’ll still get something around the 240MBs maximum we currently see, because the hardware in the camera can’t write faster than that."

The pundits on DPReview on the other hand, all disagree and are all over the map on their understanding of the capabilities of the 2 cards, their cost, their dependability, and camera write speeds.
I have never seen a case where a camera suddenly starts writing faster just because a faster card is released. The current max speed that the Z6/7 are capable of is about 245 MB/s, which is already considerably slower than what the fastest XQD cards are capable of.

We might get compatibility with CFExpress, but no performance improvement.

Cheers

Mike

Not according to this article, which says they'll be more expensive than XQD. They don't seem to be available in the U.S. yet...

This is my impression - I just find it odd that #1 - they promoted the compatibility from the beginning but have yet to deliver anything but vaporware; #2 - It's good to see that they are available in Europe - at least someone is producing them - but as noted above they don't seem to be available in the US

CFExpress will function in the Z series after the requisite firmware update. To fully exploit the speed and record RAW video files, there will be a paid hardware upgrade.

it only makes sense that CFE will end up being a less costly solution since XQD was a stop-gap technology licensed through Sony. CFE will be an open architecture, and numerous manufacturers have already signed on. Unless they are conspiring to fix prices, they’ll begin to drop relatively soon - at least as quickly as Compact Flash, and SD did after their respective rollouts.

Real Name
Walter Rowe

XQD and CFExpress operate by mapping into and extending the camera's PCI bus. Thus their speed will be limited to the speed of the PCI bus inside the camera + the speed of the camera itself to readout the sensor data, process it, craft a proper raw file, and shove it down the filesystem pipe. Nikon doesn't talk about the PCI bus speed inside the camera. If you read the specs for XQD and CFExpress, their speed increases come through use of multiple parallel channels. The XQD we see today is a single channel and thus is limited to 1GB/sec (bytes, not bits) max. The CFExpress specifications allow up to 8 channels, but the hardware must have 8 channels and the processing capacity to fill them.

Real Name
Walter Rowe
Looks like CFExpress cards will be released soon!

https://nikonrumors.com/2019/08/31/interesting-new-sandisk-extreme-pro-card-cfexpress-memory-cards-listed-for-sale-in-europe.aspx/

I wonder if other companies will adopt CFExpress soon as well? If so, I hope to see cheaper prices across the board!
CFExpress will benefit videographers the most because of its potential bandwidth (8GB / sec) for 8K video capture. Only the highest frame rate action shooters will need such bandwidth. Still photographers won't really see the benefit with the possible exception for reducing image import times (assuming their computers have a reader and interface with a comparable speed).

I don't shoot sport or video as most of my photography is landscape, street or portrait, so my question would be will I need CFE cards at all?

As we all know Nikon from the outset stated that the Z cameras would be CFE compatible and that there would be software upgrades to support the format, the impression that I was given at the various hands-on launch sessions that I attended was that the software fixes would 'open-up' the camera for CFE, this would mean that buffers would be a thing of the past as cameras would write to the cards as quickly as the image was taken, there would be no delay.

If internal camera architecture has to be able to match the CFE card architecture (have I got this right?), then would Nikon not have included the architecture in the camera from the outset?

I am no computer guru, I am not a card expert, so I am happy to be guided by others who are more knowledgable in this field, so will XQD cards disappear, will CFE cards be the only cards that we can use in our Z cameras after carrying out the software update to facilitate the new cards.

Real Name
Walter Rowe
If internal camera architecture has to be able to match the CFE card architecture (have I got this right?), then would Nikon not have included the architecture in the camera from the outset?
The architecture compatibility is there in the Z6 and Z7 bodies for CF Express at 2GB/sec (dual channel communication). The XQD and CFE architectures purposely overlap there. Cards with more than two channels have not been developed yet but the specifications have been written. It would require camera hardware with a matching number of channels to take advantage of it. The Z bodies can support up to two channels. We don’t know if the PCI bus inside the cameras can drive data at 2GB/sec.

Links on this page may be to our affiliates. Sales through affiliate links may benefit this site.
Nikon Cafe is a fan site and not associated with Nikon Corporation.
Forum post reactions by Twemoji: https://github.com/twitter/twemoji
Copyright © 2005-2019 Amin Forums, LLC
Top Bottom