Z CFexpress support?

It would require camera hardware with a matching number of channels to take advantage of it. The Z bodies can support up to two channels. We don’t know if the PCI bus inside the cameras can drive data at 2GB/sec.
It would seem to at least suggest that the corresponding hardware upgrade would increase data lanes to provide the faster throughput necessary to internally record 4K RAW. Otherwise, the hardware upgrade won’t be necessary. Depending on the cost for that upgrade, I may do it just to make the camera a little more desirable in a few years when I’m compelled to update. That said, it’s subjective as to what I’d be willing to spend. Maybe $500 if it included a sensor clean and any other minor bits?

Martin, I’d suggest that, no, you don’t “need” the performance boost offered by CFE. I haven’t needed anything more that the existing frame rate and buffer offered by the Z6 yet, and I did a fair bit of sports shooting the first half of this summer. The hopeful eventuality is the CFE will be less costly than XQD has been since there are so many manufacturers planning to make them. Only time will tell.

Real Name
Chris
Old post but Walter nailed it on the head. The difference between the two formats are 2 fold. One is the PCIe bus usage. XQD only uses one. The z6 and z7 have two available. CFe cards utilize two buses. Also the protocol used is Nvme (different method of information transport) that is nearly twice as fast as the one used for XQD cards. The firmware update would enable the use of the other bus and change the protocol used for information. You will indeed see a speed improvement. How much depends on which version of PCIe bus architecture was used at build. I can’t find that info anywhere... but just thought I would share my knowledge on this in case anyone else was curious.

Old post but Walter nailed it on the head. The difference between the two formats are 2 fold. One is the PCIe bus usage. XQD only uses one. The z6 and z7 have two available. CFe cards utilize two buses. Also the protocol used is Nvme (different method of information transport) that is nearly twice as fast as the one used for XQD cards. The firmware update would enable the use of the other bus and change the protocol used for information. You will indeed see a speed improvement. How much depends on which version of PCIe bus architecture was used at build. I can’t find that info anywhere... but just thought I would share my knowledge on this in case anyone else was curious.
Thanks for this explanation, much appreciated.

It is logical to assume that Nikon will make full use of the CFe cards as they have promoted compatibility from the outset, but what happens if I update the camera software to use the new cards, would that prohibit me using XQD cards or would they still work?

Real Name
Chris
It is logical to assume that Nikon will make full use of the CFe cards as they have promoted compatibility from the outset, but what happens if I update the camera software to use the new cards, would that prohibit me using XQD cards or would they still work?
That is an excellent question. I don’t think that it would be too difficult for them both to work. From a programming point of view you would need to have a way to have the camera discern which style was installed but also you need larger flash memory to be able to have both protocols available and I honestly don’t know if they have the room. Most companies use the smallest amount possible to save costs. I think it’s technically possible but probably unlikely. But that’s just speculation on my part.

Links on this page may be to our affiliates. Sales through affiliate links may benefit this site.
Nikon Cafe is a fan site and not associated with Nikon Corporation.
Forum post reactions by Twemoji: https://github.com/twitter/twemoji
Copyright © 2005-2019 Amin Forums, LLC
Top Bottom