Z/FTZ and lens compatibility

Real Name
Dallas Pottinger
On the topic of compatibility, You might want to avoid buying any Tamron lenses if you have a Z/FTZ. To quote the response I received from a Tamron associate: "Unfortunately, at this time the 100-400mm is not compatible with the Nikon Z6/Z7 and FTZ adapter. We could not say if/when it will be updated for functionality."

Real Name
Ian
Telling people to "avoid buying" Tamron lenses is a bit of stretch. Instead, your advice you be "check with you local dealer or Tamron to see if the lens you're interested in works with Nikon Z cameras".

My 17-35 works perfectly fine on the Z6. The 24-70, 70-200, and 150-600 do as well after Tamron's FW update. Not every Tamron lens works, but there are a good number of them out there that do.

Real Name
Dallas Pottinger
Quite right. But Tamron's response amounts to a rather icy dismissal of a bona fide purchaser of one of their products. I had to query them twice before I got any response at all. They are well within their rights on this, but I remain quite irritated that a very good and useful lens is now useless to me, and I will have to sell it.

Real Name
Walter Rowe
Tamron had information on their website about compatibility. There were some lenses where they updated lens firmware which made the compatible. I don’t own any Tamron lenses but recall people saying it requires the puck. It is a USB device that attaches to the lens on the lens mount and lets you update the firmware from your computer.

Links on this page may be to our affiliates. Sales through affiliate links may benefit this site.
Nikon Cafe is a fan site and not associated with Nikon Corporation.
Forum post reactions by Twemoji: https://github.com/twitter/twemoji
Copyright © 2005-2019 Amin Forums, LLC
Top Bottom