Z-Lens vs. F-Lens Comparison Illustration

This is my illustration of Z and F.
Subscribe to see EXIF info for this image (if available)

Real Name
Walter Rowe
Yep. Fair comparison. This is my D850 w/ 24-70/2.8E vs Z7 w/ 24-70/4S

A fairer comparison would be with the Nikon 24-85mm VR lens versus the 24-70mm f/4 S already extended. There's nothing stopping Nikon from making retractable F-mount FX lenses, like they do with their DX kit lens designs. Honestly, where mirrorless shows it's strengths are with reasonable sized wide angles.

Real Name
David
A fairer comparison would be with the Nikon 24-85mm VR lens versus the 24-70mm f/4 S already extended. There's nothing stopping Nikon from making retractable F-mount FX lenses, like they do with their DX kit lens designs. Honestly, where mirrorless shows it's strengths are with reasonable sized wide angles.
Only thing stopping them is consumer perception. Hopefully with the warm reception of the f/4 zooms that can change and well see more retractable Z options. A retractable 70-300 would be nice.

Real Name
Andy
Between the two 24-70mm zooms depicted, there are some significant differences fundamentally between the F-mount and the Z-mount optics. Internal zoom vs. external and f/2.8 max aperture vs. f/4. VR vs. non-VR. Those factors affect the size and weight quite a bit. The difference in flange distance is there, but becomes more relevant when more of the other stuff is equal.

Only thing stopping them is consumer perception. Hopefully with the warm reception of the f/4 zooms that can change and well see more retractable Z options. A retractable 70-300 would be nice.
I'd like to see a few more AF-P FX lenses released before going all Z-mount. It'll smooth out the transition from F to Z. Also we won't really see the potential of the Z mount until faster glass in both the wide and telephoto end are released. What I do miss though are small compact 2.8 primes. Makes me want to just get a Df, so I can slap on all the AF-D prime lenses!

Real Name
David
I'd like to see a few more AF-P FX lenses released before going all Z-mount. It'll smooth out the transition from F to Z. Also we won't really see the potential of the Z mount until faster glass in both the wide and telephoto end are released. What I do miss though are small compact 2.8 primes. Makes me want to just get a Df, so I can slap on all the AF-D prime lenses!
No disagreement, but a nice retractable 70-200 or 70-300 would be a great small FX kit. While I would prefer a 70-300 range, a constant f/4 70-200 retractable might be small enough for the body and three lenses to all fit into something like the ONA Bowery, that would be nice.

Last edited:
Links on this page may be to our affiliates. Sales through affiliate links may benefit this site.
Nikon Cafe is a fan site and not associated with Nikon Corporation.
Forum post reactions by Twemoji: https://github.com/twitter/twemoji
Copyright © 2005-2019 Amin Forums, LLC
Top Bottom