Z owners who still have a DSLR...

S and F mount DSLR owners, what will you buy?

• Only F mount lenses.

Votes: 1 5.0%
  • Only Z mount lenses.

Votes: 4 20.0%
  • Whichever has the lens I need for a particular goal.

Votes: 15 75.0%

• Total voters
If you own a Z body and a DSLR, when lens shopping, what mount will you consider first?

I have a D300, D800 and Z6. I only have the 24-70 f/4 for the Z. The FTZ adapter means all of my Nikkor lenses work great with my Z. Honestly, I still feel like for now, at least for the next few years, I will still buy F mount lenses, just so I can use them on any of my bodies.

Opinions?

Real Name
Don Roy
I think already owning a Nikon DSLR and a pile of it's lenses just confuses all Z-brain thinking. My old Canon DLSR stuff was going-going-gone on eBay while my son was unboxing our first Nikon. We're starting with a clean slate!

You have to use option 3, because the Z lens lineup is still being fleshed in.
Example, if you NEED a 70-200/2.8 NOW, the F lens is the only choice. The Z lens is still on "pre order."
And I don't recall seeing anything over 200mm on the Z lens roadmap. So again, you are forced to a F lens.

Then YOU have to make up your own mind for your strategy.

I see 4 options:
  • Eventual full migration to Z
    • I would get a Z lens whenever possible.
    • You will still have the situation where a Z lens is not available, so you have to go with a F lens + FTZ.
  • Z as primary system, F as secondary system
    • I would get a Z lens whenever possible.
    • You will still have the situation where a Z lens is not available, so you have to go with a F lens + FTZ.
    • You have the basic F lenses, so you probably don't need any more F lenses.
  • F as primary system, Z as secondary system.
    • I would get F lenses and use the FTZ.
  • Z and F, both as primary systems.
    • Treat them as two totally separate systems.
    • You have the basic F lenses, so you may not need any more F lenses.
In my mind, the FTZ is great to bridge the gap as the Z lens landscape is filling in, but I am not keen on it as a LONG term solution.
The reports of the quality of the Z lenses makes me think that getting the Z lens if possible is a good idea.

I have a cabinet full of F-mount lenses and don't expect to buy any more. I have a D750, D7200, and D5500 plus the Z6 I bought last August. I expect to be totally a Nikon Z user in two or three years.

I have Nikon DSLRs and a pair of Sony A7III bodies. I use mainly event/action oriented lenses on my Nikon and mainly portrait and travel primes on the Sony. I can't go back to shooting fast glass beyond 1.8 on DSLRs. Mirrorless focus precision for portrait work is far superior. Saying that, shooting action with an EVF doesn't compare to the real-time OVF experience you get when shooting action. Even the old D750 focus tracks better than either of the Z bodies and the Sony A7 series.

If I buy an A9 and supporting lenses, I'll be in the hole. So it's actually cheaper to run two separate systems based on lens prices and practical usage needs!

Butlerkid

Cafe Ambassador
Real Name
Karen
Mirrorless does not seem to be the holy grail. Just more tools. Each photographer needs to decide what tools would be best to create his intended images of his intended subjects!

Or maybe I'm missing something...................

Real Name
Andrew
The only way I’m a Z only shooter is when the mirrorless AF is as good or better than the D500.

Even with that, there are excellent f-mount lenses that I would be daft to pass up at the price point.

the Nikon 50/1.8, 85/1.8, 70-300E and 300PF are all lenses that are very highly regarded by me in a cost to performance ratio.

I see no penalty right now for me in continuing to use the FTZ until Nikon brings us something compelling in Z for me. Compelling being defined as FX pancake zooms or primes.

Last edited:
Each photographer needs to decide what tools would be best to create his intended images of his intended subjects!
Add to that while taking advantage of the intended enjoyment of the entire process. Otherwise, we don't take into account size, weight and many other details that don't necessarily impact the results but do impact the process.

Add to that while taking advantage of the intended enjoyment of the entire process. Otherwise, we don't take into account size, weight and many other details that don't necessarily impact the results but do impact the process.
For me the Z6 is currently THE perfectly sized and shaped small body for me, and the D850 THE perfectly sized and shaped large body. I enjoy 'em both with no regrets.

The only way I’m a Z only shooter is when the mirrorless AF is as good or better than the D500.

Even with that, there are excellent f-mount lenses that I would be daft to pass up at the price point.

the Nikon 50/1.8, 85/1.8, 70-300E and 300PF are all lenses that are very highly regarded by me in a cost to performance ratio.

I see no penalty right now for me in continuing to use the FTZ until Nikon brings us something compelling in Z for me. Compelling being defined as FX pancake zooms or primes.
And as people migrate to the Z cameras, there will be more F lenses on the used market. :)

F-mount lens prices are dropping like flies. I've been able to re-buy some pro-caliber Nikon lenses for very cheap. Excellent AF/AF-D lenses are selling for pennies! Though I probably don't qualify as your typical camera buyer, since I'm very particular and keep tabs on gear prices on a regular basis! :D

Z7 and D500 owner here. I buy lenses based upon need.

For example, traveling to Europe soon and wanted something wider and faster on the Z7 than the Z 24-70/f4 S. However, the Z 14-30 S is not quite what I wanted. I prefer a UWA fast prime for this purpose, but the Z 20/f1.8 S is not yet available. I liked and purchased a used but excellent condition AF-S 20/1.8G for the trip (to be used with my FTZ). Fine lens and after seeing some of my practice results, I will not need a Z equivalent. Saved a bunch of money, too.

I want to shoot more wildlife and BIF. Eventually, I will be buying one of Nikon's better F-mount telephotos for this purpose on my D500.

Different tools to solve different needs.

I just depends so much on what you would like to do. I don't defend the Z AF against every DSLR shooting scenario, I am not stupid and know there are things where your D500 is clearly ahead of a current Nikon mirorless. So is a D5 and D850. I don't own either, only a D750 that is better than my old D3 was, and can see in the dark. But mst of the time, it is not that much a difference as many would think.
I also have a Z 7. And in a lot of situations, it's AF is better than the DSLR's. Be it just equally fast at first aquisition, but more precise, be it more convenient due to not having to look into the finder. In these situations, the D750 would not get the shot that easily. And the D500 neither, because it is not about the AF module and tech, but about the general concept of on sensor AF.

... the Nikon 50/1.8, ... very highly regarded by me in a cost to performance ratio.
You are right here, good lenses don't have to be expensive. But that can also be true for the mirrorless world. I never had a 50/1.8. Until the week before Xmas when a discounted offer let me have the new 50/1.8S for 375 CHF / ~USD. For the performance, that is a steal.

Latest posts

Links on this page may be to our affiliates. Sales through affiliate links may benefit this site.
Nikon Cafe is a fan site and not associated with Nikon Corporation.
Forum post reactions by Twemoji: https://github.com/twitter/twemoji
Copyright © 2005-2019 Amin Forums, LLC
Top Bottom