Z v F

As far as I can tell, yes. Which is very good, but it is not at the same level as the D500 when I'm shooting football or other erratic, unpredictable sports.
Hmmm....I'm going to have to a football test - I kind of feel the wrestling that I shoot is erratic....maybe not enough though...

Real Name
Andrew
Hmmm....I'm going to have to a football test - I kind of feel the wrestling that I shoot is erratic....maybe not enough though...

I don't think you have the same issues like having the provide of 21 bodies between you and the ball carrier like American football.

Since you are in your 80s, let me throw out an alternative, micro 4/3.

I shoot both a Nikon D7200 and a m4/3 kit.

When I went on vacation, I took the Olympus EM1 + Panasonic 12-60. This was a 45% reduction in weight over the D7200 + 18-140. And I can get the weight even lower if I use the smaller/lighter EM10. After two weeks of non-stop traveling, I really appreciated the weight reduction. I wasn't completly worn out from carrying a heavy kit.

The other is the lens, FX vs DX, the good lenses are mostly FX, so big and heavy. I drew a line in the sand, nothing over 300mm for my DX/FX kit. The lens just gets too big and heavy. Over 300mm (6x magnification on FX), I switch to m4/3. A small/light 75-300 lens on my m4/3 camera is similar to a big/heavy 150-600 on a FX camera. Logistics wins.

As for dSLR vs mirrorless.
One thing that I really like is the ability to see and adjust the exposure in real time on the mirrorless.
On my dSLR, I have to shoot, chimp the shot, adjust the exposure, then repeat until I get the exposure right.

What I do NOT like about mirrorless is the relatively short battery life.
My D7200 will easily do an entire weekend of shooting, over 800 frames, on a single charge of a single battery.
My EM1-mk1 will only last 4 hours, continuous ON, just as I shoot my dSLR. A full day of shooting requires up to FOUR batteries.
Mirrorless battery life is heavily dependent on the battery capacity, and what power sucking lens you use (or don't use). So you have to check the specific camera, battery and lens.​
Using a different lens, my battery life drops downto only 2-1/2 hours. :eek:

Since you are in your 80s, let me throw out an alternative, micro 4/3.

I shoot both a Nikon D7200 and a m4/3 kit.

When I went on vacation, I took the Olympus EM1 + Panasonic 12-60. This was a 45% reduction in weight over the D7200 + 18-140. And I can get the weight even lower if I use the smaller/lighter EM10. After two weeks of non-stop traveling, I really appreciated the weight reduction. I wasn't completly worn out from carrying a heavy kit.

The other is the lens, FX vs DX, the good lenses are mostly FX, so big and heavy. I drew a line in the sand, nothing over 300mm for my DX/FX kit. The lens just gets too big and heavy. Over 300mm (6x magnification on FX), I switch to m4/3. A small/light 75-300 lens on my m4/3 camera is similar to a big/heavy 150-600 on a FX camera. Logistics wins.

One thing that I really like is the ability to see and adjust the exposure in real time on the mirrorless.
On my dSLR, I have to shoot, chimp the shot, adjust the exposure, then repeat until I get the exposure right.

What I do NOT like about mirrorless is the relatively short battery life.
My D7200 will easily do an entire weekend of shooting, over 800 frames, on a single charge of a single battery.
My EM1-mk1 will only last 4 hours, continuous ON, just as I shoot my dSLR. A full day of shooting requires up to FOUR batteries.
Mirrorless battery life is heavily dependent on the battery capacity, and what power sucking lens you use (or don't use). So you have to check the specific camera, battery and lens.​
Using a different lens, my battery life drops downto only 2-1/2 hours. :eek:

Jim's right - I have a few years to go before my eighties. I'm with you though, re big lenses. My line in the sand was similar but I based mine on weight. I decided not to get anything much above two pounds / one kilo, so the Nikon 300mm f4E PF was and is brilliant for me as far as telephoto is concerned. However, as I have mentioned, I'm not really concerned about weight while out shooting as I never take everything with me. I decide on a camera plus lens or two for each outing and that's it. That encourages me to ring the changes too, getting use out of all of them. That said, I am conscious that one or two are not getting as much use so they may end up being traded. Thanks for your suggestion and, as I mentioned a couple of posts ago, I will be revisiting the dealer in the next few days.

Real Name
Don Roy
It's just the next level of tech.
  • With film you didn't see if you got it right until tomorrow.
  • With DSLR, you see it a few seconds later (while being a bit distracted from the subject to check).
  • With mirrorless, you see exposure before shooting, more confident you have it right.
[On the 'decade' thing here, just stop talking about getting older. I think of everything past 30 as the same. :)]

You're only as old as you feel. Unless you are Groucho Marx. My wife tells me I'm around 27 really.

If my back or knee does not act up, I feel just fine, like I was 20 years ago.
When the back and knee acts up . . . I feel OLD.

Though the body strength and endurance has gone down.
I now have to use a cart to haul my gear for any distance, where I used to lug it on my shoulders.

Yesterday I spent over an hour at my local dealer playing with the Z6 and three of my DSLR lenses - 24mm f1.4; 135mm f2DC; and the 300mm f4 PF on the 1.4TC. It would be fair to say that I became more comfortable with the feel of the mirrorless camera than I had before but I definitely still prefer the handling of my D750 and the D7200, although the Z6 was closer to the latter. It just isn't singing for me so I'm not going to change just now. I remain very interested in the rumoured D750 replacement though, unless Nikon does something like give it a vast boost in pixels. Otherwise, I might replace my little mirrorless compact with something better. Sometime. Thanks again for all the very helpful info and comments.

Last edited:
Real Name
Andy
but I definitely still prefer the handling of my D750 and the D7200, although the Z6 was closer to the latter.
One additional consideration: there is no battery grip with shutter release and dials meant to be used in portrait orientation for the Z6/Z7. While I'm very happy with the Z6 for the various reasons already mentioned, the lack of an option to add a vertical grip is another key reason to keep the D750 around.

Latest threads

Top Bottom