Z5 Announced

I’ll be interested to read the reviews to see how this compares to the Z6. On first glance, the Z6 is better value and that Z5 entry price is at least £200 more expensive than seems sensible. A few weeks ago I purchased the Z6, 24-70/4 and FTZ for £2019 and I saw it for under £2K in some online retailers. Why would someone pay £1859 for the Z5 “entry level” model, FTZ and the budget kit zoom?

I’m sure there must be a nice graph that shows price Vs volume of sale Vs profit. I can’t help feeling that a lower price would shift more products and ultimately generate more profit, but with a lower margin per item.

At the moment I'm intrigued. What’s the value proposition? Does it autofocus better than the Z6? Are dual card slots really that important and therefore inflates the price? Would I rather pay an extra £140 for higher frame rate, much better LCD, f/4 standard zoom? It’s an odd one.

Real Name
Paul
I’ll be interested to read the reviews to see how this compares to the Z6. On first glance, the Z6 is better value and that Z5 entry price is at least £200 more expensive than seems sensible. A few weeks ago I purchased the Z6, 24-70/4 and FTZ for £2019 and I saw it for under £2K in some online retailers. Why would someone pay £1859 for the Z5 “entry level” model, FTZ and the budget kit zoom?

I’m sure there must be a nice graph that shows price Vs volume of sale Vs profit. I can’t help feeling that a lower price would shift more products and ultimately generate more profit, but with a lower margin per item.

At the moment I'm intrigued. What’s the value proposition? Does it autofocus better than the Z6? Are dual card slots really that important and therefore inflates the price? Would I rather pay an extra £140 for higher frame rate, much better LCD, f/4 standard zoom? It’s an odd one.
I agree that the 24-50 makes little sense. The Z6 + 24-70 for only a little more than the Z5 kit is definitely worth it.

Real Name
Paul
Actually, I notice that the sensor isn't the same as the Z6 and it's not a BSI design. The jury's out on whether that makes any difference, but I'd want to see tests/reviews first. The Z6 sensor is excellent so it'll be interesting to see why they didn't re-use it.

Real Name
Walter Rowe
Another specs site from Nikon USA ...

https://www.nikonusa.com/en/nikon-products/product/mirrorless-cameras/z-5.html

Z5 Tech Specs
Screen Shot 2020-07-21 at 6.05.27 AM.png
Subscribe to see EXIF info for this image (if available)

Z6 Tech Specs for comparison

Last edited:
Real Name
Walter Rowe
The email I received from Nikon also included some other items:
It also teased about a forthcoming webcam kit .. no link, just a graphic in the email. Hard to discern which pieces in the picture are part of the kit.

The email I received from Nikon also included some other items:
It also teased about a forthcoming webcam kit .. no link, just a graphic in the email. Hard to discern which pieces in the picture are part of the kit.

View attachment 1666030
It’d be good to get the webcam utility! I wouldn’t use it much, but could come in handy for those professional looking Zoom calls.

Real Name
Walter Rowe
It’d be good to get the webcam utility! I wouldn’t use it much, but could come in handy for those professional looking Zoom calls.
The Apple built-in cameras don't have HD quality (only 720p at most I think). A true HD quality webcam would be useful. Using a Z body to achieve that might be overkill unless you are capturing in N-Log format with an external video recording device for later post production - a truly professional look.

Exactly the same size and weight as the Z6. That is a surprise.

Z6:
Approx. 134 x 100.5 x 67.5 mm/5.3 x 4 x 2.7 in.
Weight Approx. 675 g/1 lb 7.9 oz with battery and memory card but without body cap; approx. 585 g/1 lb 4.7 oz (camera body only)

Z5:
Approx. 134 x 100.5 x 69.5 mm/5.3 x 4.0 x 2.8 in.
Weight Approx. 675 g/1 lb. 7.9 oz. with battery and memory card but without body cap; approx. 590 g/1 lb. 4.9 oz. (camera body only)

(Well, 2mm difference in depth.)

Exactly the same size and weight as the Z6. That is a surprise.

Z6:
Approx. 134 x 100.5 x 67.5 mm/5.3 x 4 x 2.7 in.
Weight Approx. 675 g/1 lb 7.9 oz with battery and memory card but without body cap; approx. 585 g/1 lb 4.7 oz (camera body only)

Z5:
Approx. 134 x 100.5 x 69.5 mm/5.3 x 4.0 x 2.8 in.
Weight Approx. 675 g/1 lb. 7.9 oz. with battery and memory card but without body cap; approx. 590 g/1 lb. 4.9 oz. (camera body only)

(Well, 2mm difference in depth.)
According to DPreview, it has a different sensor (not the BSI type) as well which I'm surprised at.

Latest posts

Links on this page may be to our affiliates. Sales through affiliate links may benefit this site.
Nikon Cafe is a fan site and not associated with Nikon Corporation.
Forum post reactions by Twemoji: https://github.com/twitter/twemoji
Copyright © 2005-2019 Amin Forums, LLC
Top Bottom