Z5 Announced

Real Name
Paul
The specs don't mention whether focus bracketing is included and the owner's manual isn't yet available.

If the Z5 has focus bracketing and if it had been available when I purchased my Z6 a few months ago, I probably would have bought the Z5. Even so, I wouldn't bother making a change now.
It seems the main differences to the Z6 are:

- Slightly lower spec non-BSI 24Mp sensor
- Lower-spec video (esp, a 1.7 crop for 4k)
- Lower burst frame rate
- Same EVF, but lower res rear screen
- Dual SD card slots not single XQD
- No top-panel LCD panel
- Charge and operate from USB C

The reduced video and burst frame rates wouldn't bother me at all, but the sensor change is a bit of an unknown at this point. The reduced res rear screen is perhaps an issue too. Top-panel removal wouldn't bother me at all either.

Dual card slots is a big deal to me. I'd rather have that than the single XQD. I just need to know what the buffer performance and e-shutter fps look like. Looks like I'll finally trade in one of my DSLRs for a Nikon Z!

It seems the main differences to the Z6 are:

- Slightly lower spec non-BSI 24Mp sensor
- Lower-spec video (esp, a 1.7 crop for 4k)
- Lower burst frame rate
- Same EVF, but lower res rear screen
- Dual SD card slots not single XQD
- No top-panel LCD panel
- Charge and operate from USB C

The reduced video and burst frame rates wouldn't bother me at all, but the sensor change is a bit of an unknown at this point. The reduced res rear screen is perhaps an issue too. Top-panel removal wouldn't bother me at all either.
None of these tempt me. None are useful. So, until more glass is released, my money is safe. But the rest of you—buy, buy, buy - - - Nikon needs your money :D

Real Name
Paul
Dual card slots is a big deal to me. I'd rather have that than the single XQD. I just need to know what the buffer performance and e-shutter fps look like. Looks like I'll finally trade in one of my DSLRs for a Nikon Z!
It looks like the same mech shutter but the burst frame rates are lower - my guess they've been pulled back in firmware to differentiate from the Z6. Not seen any quoted rates for the electronic shutter.

Real Name
Ian
This is a bit of a head-scratcher to me. Not significantly different than a Z6, and used Z6’s can be had for less than this body.

It seems like the only selling point of this camera is the dual card slots, which will be enticing for some.

I’d be more interested in the next-gen Z6.

It looks like the same mech shutter but the burst frame rates are lower - my guess they've been pulled back in firmware to differentiate from the Z6. Not seen any quoted rates for the electronic shutter.
4.5 FPS isn't exactly quick, even though that's where I have my cameras set when shooting continuous low. I'm really hoping they at least have a faster continuous burst in E-shutter. It'll be interesting to see how Z6 prices will either fall or level out. The cost for entry though is much cheaper with the Z5 and I'm sure prices on that body will drop in a few months once released.

Real Name
Andreas Berglund
While it seems very close to the Z6, we can be assured that the z6 version II or s or whatever its called is lurking in the wings, rumored this fall, and then the value prop for a Z6s (and Z7s) will become more clear.

Last edited:
Real Name
Andreas Berglund
Buddy, you and I are not the target group ;-)

4.5 FPS isn't exactly quick, even though that's where I have my cameras set when shooting continuous low. I'm really hoping they at least have a faster continuous burst in E-shutter. It'll be interesting to see how Z6 prices will either fall or level out. The cost for entry though is much cheaper with the Z5 and I'm sure prices on that body will drop in a few months once released.

To be honest, this body interest me quite a bit. I'll probably only shoot wide angle and small prime lenses with this, while still using DSLRs for my longer glass. The dual UHS-II card slots and compatible EN-EL15 batteries allow me to drop it into my D750 storage/battery workflow. Something I was turned off with XQD. The lack of proper vertical shutter grip isn't that big of a deal, since at least I can use the MB-N10 battery grip for more juice and I gain 5-axis IBIS and a high res EVF at a lower price point.

To be honest, this body interest me quite a bit. I'll probably only shoot wide angle and small prime lenses with this, while still using DSLRs for my longer glass. The dual UHS-II card slots and compatible EN-EL15 batteries allow me to drop it into my D750 storage/battery workflow. Something I was turned off with XQD. The lack of proper vertical shutter grip isn't that big of a deal, since at least I can use the MB-N10 battery grip for more juice and I gain 5-axis IBIS and a high res EVF at a lower price point.
There is a reason we call it lust :D :ROFLMAO: :rolleyes:

But what is on the top LCD that can't be seen on the rear screen?
One issue is that the Z5 has only a tilting screen, not an articulating screen. That means you may not be able to easily see the screen; the tilting screen is especially limiting when the camera is on a tripod in the vertical orientation because there is no way to tilt the screen up or down in that situation.

Real Name
Randy
But what is on the top LCD that can't be seen on the rear screen? Not looking to criticise, but having used m43 cameras for almost a decade now, these little top LCDs look like some quaint little oddity from the dinosaur age! :)
I hadn't thought of it that way because there's so little info I look for and mostly I just prefer looking at the top for basic stuff and the backlighing is extra nice. The info is more concise than the rear lcd and every camera I own has a top LCD and I'm used to looking at it. It's kinda like a 2nd command wheel, it's a show stopper for me

I am a Z7 user and I was really looking for a second body as a back up. The Z6 appeared to make no sense to me as I am not so much interested on video. I was really waiting for the Z5 and today I feel really disappointed. In the UK they do not even offer it as a standalone body. I am not interested whatsoever on the Z24-50 as I have much better Z glass. Price is over £1700 but you can get a Z6 body for less than £1600. Well to me the Z6 make better sense now. Why would someone spend £1700+ for a Z5 if with a little bit more they can get a Z6 and a much more capable Z24-70 f4? The Z5 does not even have a BSI sensor, I do not expect to see any significant gain on low light performance to the Z7. Having said that I am really keen to see detailed reviews!!!

I am a Z7 user and I was really looking for a second body as a back up. The Z6 appeared to make no sense to me as I am not so much interested on video. I was really waiting for the Z5 and today I feel really disappointed. In the UK they do not even offer it as a standalone body. I am not interested whatsoever on the Z24-50 as I have much better Z glass. Price is over £1700 but you can get a Z6 body for less than £1600. Well to me the Z6 make better sense now. Why would someone spend £1700+ for a Z5 if with a little bit more they can get a Z6 and a much more capable Z24-70 f4? The Z5 does not even have a BSI sensor, I do not expect to see any significant gain on low light performance to the Z7. Having said that I am really keen to see detailed reviews!!!
That's just crazy! It's like requiring someone to buy socks along with their shoes.
Give 'em time. Prices will drop, along with what is bundled. When the Z6/& first came out the FTZ adaptor was extra. I waited a year or so and got mine free.

Latest posts

Links on this page may be to our affiliates. Sales through affiliate links may benefit this site.
Nikon Cafe is a fan site and not associated with Nikon Corporation.
Forum post reactions by Twemoji: https://github.com/twitter/twemoji
Copyright © 2005-2019 Amin Forums, LLC
Top Bottom