Z5 Announced

Real Name
Paul
So you order it in Belgium... only 30 miles away from the UK across the North Sea. Body is sold seperately. And all items bought here have a 2 year European warranty.

Hurry before Brexit closes the gates towards Europe. ?
Actually, I'm seriously thinking of moving to France (my wife is French). I don't like what the UK has become.

Actually, I'm seriously thinking of moving to France (my wife is French). I don't like what the UK has become.

I fully understand. I'm all in favour of the European project. It's not perfect.. not many things are in this world. But it has brought us peace, freedom, economical welfare... It's a unique patchwork of different cultures and we have to embrace this.

I just read this on B&H's Z5 Q&A section:

According to Nikon, this camera does have an electronic shutter but due to the nature of the sensor being non-BSI it isn't capable of fast readouts, thus 4.5 fps is the max.

So even with the E-shutter, the Z5 is stilled capped at 4.5 fps. Even my J5 can shoot at 20fps! I wonder how buffer performance looks like?

Real Name
Paul
I just read this on B&H's Z5 Q&A section:

According to Nikon, this camera does have an electronic shutter but due to the nature of the sensor being non-BSI it isn't capable of fast readouts, thus 4.5 fps is the max.

So even with the E-shutter, the Z5 is stilled capped at 4.5 fps. Even my J5 can shoot at 20fps! I wonder how buffer performance looks like?
Can't see what BSI has to do with readout speed!

Sounds more like marketing talk to hide the fact they capped performance. :cautious: Sometimes I wish there was ways to access camera firmware to unlock features purposely disabled! Reminds me of the old Panasonic GH2, that became even better once hacked!

Real Name
Paul
Sounds more like marketing talk to hide the fact they capped performance. :cautious: Sometimes I wish there was ways to access camera firmware to unlock features purposely disabled! Reminds me of the old Panasonic GH2, that became even better once hacked!
I wish one of the manufacturers would open-source their software. I'm totally convinced that the community would do things with the cameras that the manufacturers could only dream about!

I wish one of the manufacturers would open-source their software. I'm totally convinced that the community would do things with the cameras that the manufacturers could only dream about!
I remember the wild west IBM PC days when everyone and their uncle was hacking the DOS and even the firmware. You could push it all kinds of directions but support was a nightmare.

Beyond better illumination, BSI is an enables stacking.
Stacking enables more on-board circuitry such as wider readout paths.

So it is believable that a non-BSI part would not be as capable.

Clearly this is a cost saving move.

Real Name
Paul
Beyond better illumination, BSI is an enables stacking.
Stacking enables more on-board circuitry such as wider readout paths.

So it is believable that a non-BSI part would not be as capable.

Clearly this is a cost saving move.
Well, the Olympus 20Mp sensor on the EM1.2, EM1.3 and the EM1x is non-BSI and it has a readout speed that supports 60 fps and has almost no jello effects on video, so it can't be a fundamental limitation.

Latest threads

Top Bottom