Z5 focus issues

Hey all.

I just picked up a z5 and the 50mm 1.8 s. I have the latest firmware. When I shoot with continuous auto focus with burst mode, or even single shot, I have a really poor keeper rate. I have af-c set to focus priority and it still seems like only about half my photos are in focus. Even tested it with a stationary subject. Tried subject tracking too, same result. Any idea what's going on or does this camera just do poorly in continuous burst shooting?

Real Name
Rachel
I think that AF-C works best in release priority. Are you using back button focusing or the shutter button?

Am not an expert, but I have the Z5 also so perhaps I can help troubleshoot by trying stuff on mine to give you feedback.

I think that AF-C works best in release priority. Are you using back button focusing or the shutter button?

Am not an expert, but I have the Z5 also so perhaps I can help troubleshoot by trying stuff on mine to give you feedback.

I tried both release priority and focus priority and I back button focus, but I tested both and got the same results. To me it looks like (through the evf) the auto focus is kind of pulsing slightly while holding the auto focus on in af-c, so things keep going slightly in and out of focus enough that it's visible in the photos and that's while standing still shooting a stationary target.

Ended up deciding to just take it back and get a z6 ii. I'll just hold off on one of the lenses I was going to buy to offset the price difference. No issues with the z6 ii whatsoever.

Real Name
Rachel
Ended up deciding to just take it back and get a z6 ii. I'll just hold off on one of the lenses I was going to buy to offset the price difference. No issues with the z6 ii whatsoever.
I was thinking of doing the same (but only because I really want the BSI sensor and the 12fps). decided to keep the Z5 and buy my Tamron 150-600mm G2 instead. Gonna give it a year and if I feel like I've earned the upgrade; then I shall treat myself in March for my birthday :)

I hope the Z6II you get is flawless. I must say that the behaviour you described has never shown itself on my Z5.

Bit late now but I assume you updated it's firmware?

I was thinking of doing the same (but only because I really want the BSI sensor and the 12fps). decided to keep the Z5 and buy my Tamron 150-600mm G2 instead. Gonna give it a year and if I feel like I've earned the upgrade; then I shall treat myself in March for my birthday :)

I hope the Z6II you get is flawless. I must say that the behaviour you described has never shown itself on my Z5.

Bit late now but I assume you updated it's firmware?

Yeah, the firmware was current. I think there might have actually been something wrong with the camera.

The Z6 II seems crazy good so far from my testing, can't wait to actually get out and shoot with it. I had kind of gone back and forth about if the Z5 would be good enough or if I wanted to spend the extra, and fingers crossed, the Z6 II seems to be superb. Whether or not it had to do with what was going on with the Z5 or not, the auto focus is definitely quieter and much quicker.

Real Name
Rachel
Yeah, the firmware was current. I think there might have actually been something wrong with the camera.

The Z6 II seems crazy good so far from my testing, can't wait to actually get out and shoot with it. I had kind of gone back and forth about if the Z5 would be good enough or if I wanted to spend the extra, and fingers crossed, the Z6 II seems to be superb. Whether or not it had to do with what was going on with the Z5 or not, the auto focus is definitely quieter and much quicker.
Maybe it was just bad one then.

Enjoy the Z6II :)

Real Name
Rachel
Update:
Just before xmas I decided I had had enough of my Z5 and it’s awful med-low light focus fails. I traded it in for a as-new Z6 and could not be happier! With the latest Z6 firmware it’s a totally different experience. This is eating low ligt focusing and is spot on and fast nearly all of the time, even with my black cat in low light.

Very much happier and the upgrade in fps is mind blowing. (My previous high speed shooter was years ago on a Canon EOS 1D series digital (cannot remember which it was but I had 8fps). The 12fps is just a game changer for me. Still learning the systems available to me with this Z6 beast; but definitely a 200% better body than the Z5. Cost me my Z5, FtZ and 105mm Macro lens, but I am thrilled with it, and of course now I can justify saving up for the Z series 105mm Macro later this year :)

mrb

Update:
Just before xmas I decided I had had enough of my Z5 and it’s awful med-low light focus fails. I traded it in for a as-new Z6 and could not be happier! With the latest Z6 firmware it’s a totally different experience. This is eating low ligt focusing and is spot on and fast nearly all of the time, even with my black cat in low light.

Very much happier and the upgrade in fps is mind blowing. (My previous high speed shooter was years ago on a Canon EOS 1D series digital (cannot remember which it was but I had 8fps). The 12fps is just a game changer for me. Still learning the systems available to me with this Z6 beast; but definitely a 200% better body than the Z5. Cost me my Z5, FtZ and 105mm Macro lens, but I am thrilled with it, and of course now I can justify saving up for the Z series 105mm Macro later this year :)
I did toy with getting the Z5, but all the talk about AF issues put me off.
When you mean low light AF fails? Do you mean missing focus or just not locking? The other thing that put me off was this flickering display in very low light.

I think Nikon need a Z5II, it seems the firmware hasn't resolved the complaints/problems.

Latest threads

Top Bottom