Z5 paired with 24-50mm kit lens or 24-70mm f/4 S?

Hi all,

I’m planning to purchase a Z5 soon.

I want to pair it with either the 24-50mm kit lens or the 24-70mm f/4 S lens.

Do you guys think the 24-70mm lens is dated? It’s been a couple years now. Released in August 2018.

The 24-70 lens is apparently more premium than the 24-50, but that 24-50 is newer.

Can anyone that has personally used both lens chime in?

(There is a sale at my local camera store so I’m afraid I can’t rent to test in case it gets sold out.

I’m not too concerned about price as I know I’ll get what I pay for. I’m more concerned about the age difference. I can probably get the 24-70 for $580 individually or 24-50 for an additional $200 as a kit lens with the Z5 purchase.)

Thank you for any response!

Real Name
Andrew
A few years difference means nothing at this point. I’ve tried finding a better option then the 24-70 and have not found it yet.

the 24-70 is probably going to be one of those legendary kit lenses. It is sharp, contrasty and relatively small for a constant f/4. Unless you really need a pancake style lens and are willing to live with the slower aperture, then I’d recommend the 24-70 or look into the primes. The 24/35/50 are great options with the smaller 28/40 coming soon.
I personally am eyeing the 28/2 prime when it is released.

Last edited:
A few years difference means nothing at this point. I’ve tried finding a better option then the 24-70 and have not found it yet.

the 24-70 is probably going to be one of those legendary kit lenses. It is sharp, contrasts and relatively small for a constant f/4. Unless you really need a pancake style lens and are willing to live with the shower aperture, then I’d revived the 24-70 or look into the primes. The 24/35/50 are great options with the smaller 28/40 coming soon.
I personally am eyeing to the 28/2 putting when it is released.
Thank you for your feedback! I think I may go with the 24-70 afterall. Cheers!

The only reason to get the 24-50 is for compactness, otherwise get the 24-70 f4S
This is correct. I actually own both, and there are occasions where I do value the compactness, but if I had to choose one it would be the 24-70. The smaller lens is no slouch, optically, though.

I would not worry about the age of the lens. Nikon is going to take many years to roll out the full line of Z lenses. Who knows, the "new" 24-50 may have been designed at the same time as the "old" 24-70.

I would look at the focal length range.
24-50 takes you from super wide to normal.
24-70 takes you from super wide to short tele.
Which fits YOUR style of shooting better?

Personally I would rather have the wider range 24-70.
But I would rather have a 24-105 even more, because that fits MY style of shooting. But that lens is still "in the future."

Links on this page may be to our affiliates. Sales through affiliate links may benefit this site.
Nikon Cafe is a fan site and not associated with Nikon Corporation.
Forum post reactions by Twemoji: https://github.com/twitter/twemoji
Forum GIFs powered by GIPHY: https://giphy.com/
Copyright © Amin Forums, LLC
Top Bottom