Z50 + 16-50 for a D500 + 16-80

Real Name
Randy
My walk around was a D800 + 24-120, then a D850 + 24-120, then and now a D500 + 16-80.
I wanna go smaller w/o giving up IQ. I don't shoot sports or wildlife with this combo.
Do you think a Z50 + 16-50 will be noticeably smaller and same or better IQ ?
What do I get and what if anything do I give up with that move
thanks

I'm with you, Randy. I've been using a D7200 +16-80 for travel and intend to use my Z6+24-70 in future for that role. But I admit I am tempted by the new Z50.

I think the sensor will be the same or slightly better than that of the D500, so IQ will be determined by the lens. If its anything like the 24-70s f/4 that comes with the Z6/Z7 it will be stellar. But the price is considerably less, so I don't think it will be quite in that class. We'll just have to wait and see some reviews/test results.

Real Name
Andreas Berglund
I'm thinking that as well, to sell my Canon M5 and replace it with this combo, and my 70-200 F4 & and FTZ adapter to go with it. Price is right, I'm waiting for some real user and handling reports.

My walk around was a D800 + 24-120, then a D850 + 24-120, then and now a D500 + 16-80.
I wanna go smaller w/o giving up IQ. I don't shoot sports or wildlife with this combo.
Do you think a Z50 + 16-50 will be noticeably smaller and same or better IQ ?
What do I get and what if anything do I give up with that move
thanks
I don't have a Z50 so I'm basing this on my experience with the Z6 and Z7. On specs alone, between the 16-50 and 16-80, you give up about a stop to a stop and a half over most of their common range. And obviously you lose some range as well.

The Z50 will be noticeably smaller. I love my D500, buy after handling the Z6 for a year, the D500 feels like a beast - and the Z50 is smaller yet (some call it a mini-Z6).

If you don't shoot sports or wildlife, I'm doubting you'll be giving up any IQ. Jim Kasson has a somewhat technical write up on the Z50 sensor and says "the big takeaway is that this camera has a sensor that is pretty much the current state of the art." He also has been doing some testing on the 16-50 here where he concludes that it is pretty close to the ballpark of the 24-70 f4S at least in terms of sharpness. He was actually pretty shocked.

You lose battery life and second slot, but gain an electronic shutter, no need calibrate lenses (including zooms), live histogram in the EVF along with magnified view for precise focussing. If you get the FTZ adapter (several of the big shops are running a $100 bundled special) you gain access to all your g lenses. I'm seriously considering the Z50 and using it with the 16-80.

As others have suggested above, the Z6 with the 24-70 f4S is really a superb travel and all-around camera (and you can use your D500 batteries!). The Z50 offers a more compact and lighter form.

Hope that helps.

I would go for Z50 kit. (Never used D500 and 16-80 so I can't commend on IQ).

I will get Z50 kit even though I'm having Z6 and 24-70/4S. I wait until Nikon has a good deal.
Z50 kit plus Z35 1.8S for travel abroad.

Real Name
David
How are you with using Prosumer and Consumer bodies like the D750, D7500, and D5600?

I never have much of an issue going between the Pro and other body controls (my son's D5300 does take me a minute to remember with the single control dial). But the 3 bodies you've mentioned as your walk around kits all have Pro body controls. That might be more of an issue for you than anything else depending on the settings you routinely change.

When I shot events with my D800 and D750 I shot in manual mode. I changed S / A / Metering Mode / Ex-Comp / Flash Ex-Comp and occasionally upped my auto ISO limit. Very occasionally I switched to Program mode if I was going from say inside a Limo to outside in the sun to inside a reception if I was following a B&G. With those basic adjustments Pro or Prosumer bodies didn't make a difference to me.

You do give up reach with the 16-50, but the reality is you could get the Z50 + 16-50 + 50-250 and still be carrying a lighter kit than the D500 + 16-80, about 12 ounces lighter. Camerasize doesn't have the lens yet, but the red box should be pretty close for size compared to the D500 + 16-80 based on this image from CNet (the angle is off so photoshopping them together didn't work so well) :

https://www.cnet.com/pictures/nikon...-mirrorless-design-doesnt-break-new-ground/2/

Last edited:
Real Name
Randy
How are you with using Prosumer and Consumer bodies like the D750, D7500, and D5600?

I never have much of an issue going between the Pro and other body controls (my son's D5300 does take me a minute to remember with the single control dial). But the 3 bodies you've mentioned as your walk around kits all have Pro body controls. That might be more of an issue for you than anything else depending on the settings you routinely change.

When I shot events with my D800 and D750 I shot in manual mode. I changed S / A / Metering Mode / Ex-Comp / Flash Ex-Comp and occasionally upped my auto ISO limit. Very occasionally I switched to Program mode if I was going from say inside a Limo to outside in the sun to inside a reception if I was following a B&G. With those basic adjustments Pro or Prosumer bodies didn't make a difference to me.

You do give up reach with the 16-50, but the reality is you could get the Z50 + 16-50 + 50-250 and still be carrying a lighter kit than the D500 + 16-80, about 12 ounces lighter. Camerasize doesn't have the lens yet, but the red box should be pretty close for size compared to the D500 + 16-80 based on this image from CNet (the angle is off so photoshopping them together didn't work so well) :

https://www.cnet.com/pictures/nikon...-mirrorless-design-doesnt-break-new-ground/2/

View attachment 1650085

View attachment 1650086

View attachment 1650088
wow that is helpful, thanks
I gotta have 2 wheels for manual mode

I just spoke to my Nikon dealer in Portland and they told me.. HOLD OFF on the Z50 as discounts are coming for Black Friday... but right now, Nikon is offering $100 off the adapter, but he could not tell me what was coming, other than it was coming for Black Friday on the Z50.

Am i reading this wrong or is the suggestion being made the Z 50 does not have two wheels because it does.

Latest threads

Top Bottom