Z50 APS-C Mirrorless could be released next week.

This according to Nikon Rumors.

• 20MP APS-C sensor (based on the D500 sensor)
  • Single SD card slot
  • 3" pivoted LCD
  • 11 fps
  • No IBIS
  • Fixed EVF (not removable EVF as described in the latest design patents)
  • New Nikon EN-EL25 battery
  • The official announcement could be as early as next week
  • The Z50 will be the equivalent of the D7xxx DSLR cameras
  • Two new APS-S mirrorless lenses: Z-Nikkor 16-55mm f/3.5-6.3 and Z-Nikkor 50-250mm f/4.5-6.3
  • The Nikon Z50 will look very similar to the Nikon Z1 prototype camera - it was described to me as a smaller version of the Z6/Z7

Read more: https://nikonrumors.com/2019/10/01/the-nikon-z50-mirrorless-aps-c-camera-will-not-have-ibis-and-could-be-announced-as-early-as-next-week.aspx/#ixzz616vEmFMu

It's surprising that they would not include image stabilization...... For me that right there is a no-go, a deal-breaker.
Maybe to cut cost.
But look at Olympus, ALL the EM series cameras, down to the entry level EM-10 have IBIS.
One of things that IBIS does is, it eliminates the need to put VR in all the lenses. So the size and cost of the lenses can be reduced. And if you have several/many lenses, the cost savings adds up.
The mfg can put VR into the pro lenses (for dual IS), but leave it off the consumer lenses and rely on the IBIS.

Today, it is dumb to have a non-stabilized body + non-stabilized lens.

Real Name
Ian
Meh.

I really wonder what Nikon's goal is with this camera? If you wanted to give interested users a low-priced entry point to the Z system, why not an equivalent of the EOS RP?

Meh.

I really wonder what Nikon's goal is with this camera? If you wanted to give interested users a low-priced entry point to the Z system, why not an equivalent of the EOS RP?
Even though you and I are probably not a part of the Z50 demographic, I agree with your "Meh". Even a basic IBIS would have elevated it a lot.

Meh.

The RP does not have IBIS either.

It is the market. Nikon has to have something to counter Canon's crop mirrorless cameras.

I don't recall now whether or not Sony's APS-C mirrorless cameras have IBIS or not, but I think they do....

ETA: Sony's a6500 has IBIS, as does the newly-announced a6600, but some of their other mirrorless APS-C camera bodies do not.

Frankly, I think both Nikon and Canon need to keep an eye on the rear view mirror because in many ways Sony has offerings which are far more appealing than theirs, and Sony has been doing this for a while, too, so that they're more comfortable and established in the mirrorless category.

Last edited:
Real Name
Ian
The RP does not have IBIS either.

It is the market. Nikon has to have something to counter Canon's crop mirrorless cameras.
The RP does not have IBIS, but it's a low-priced entry point to get people in to Canon's EOS R system.

Canon's APS-C mirrorless system is a dead-end. There is no upgrade path available like what existed for the EF mount, Nikon's F (and Z) mount, and Sony's E mount. If you want to upgrade from that system, you're forced to sell EVERYTHING, and start over again. It's a pretty bone-headed move IMO, especially considering that Canon did the opposite with their DSLRs (people could enter the EF system with a lower priced APS-C body, and then over time accumulate better glass that was FF compatible, and eventually upgrade their camera to use that glass).

At least with this camera, it should use the same mount as the Z6/7. But Nikon is more than likely pouring the vast majority of their resources in to designing FF cameras and lenses, which means that this APS-C Z50 will likely not see much beyond your typically consumer-grade, variable aperture zoom lenses. And the reality is that those consumers (the ones who would buy a D3000/5000 series DSLR with a 16-55 and 55-200 kit zoom) are a rarity these days, as the majority of them have switched to using their cell phones.

I would've preferred to have seen Nikon strip down a Z6 (no IBIS, SD card slot, no weather sealing, lower resolution EVF panel, Polycarbonate shell), make a Z-mount version of the 70-300 AF-P, and sell it along with 24-70 f/4 in a two-lens kit.

Tough to determine the likes and dislikes pertaining to various capabilities and non-capabilities without also knowing the price.
Many entry-level consumers don’t really know or understand the differences between various camera bodies and capabilities and just want to buy a reasonably-priced camera that makes better pictures than their cell phone camera, as eventually at least a few of them realize the limitations of a cell phone camera even as they still enjoy using one, too. The P&S market has been decimated, pretty much destroyed by the smartphone cameras and yet there are still some consumers who fire off a bunch of pictures with their cell phone and then wonder why they don’t look as good as Uncle Joe’s photos that he shot with something called a DSLR or a mirrorless camera or a small lightweight camera strangely named micro 4/3...... These are the folks who’ll go to Best Buy or Target or somewhere and see (inexpensive to us but expensive to them) camera bodies on offer, bundled with “kit” lenses and think that they’re good to go now, all set to shoot photos just like Uncle Joe. Well, maybe...and maybe not! Uncle Joe in fact may actually have a far more sophisticated and expensive camera and lenses plus the know-how to use them.

I think it's Nikon's way of making a cheaper D500. I'm all for it! Anything is better than the Sony A6xxx series which is handicapped in actual use with it's crummy flash synch, low max shutter speed and terrible 16:9 LCD.

Real Name
Andrew
I think it's Nikon's way of making a cheaper D500. I'm all for it! Anything is better than the Sony A6xxx series which is handicapped in actual use with it's crummy flash synch, low max shutter speed and terrible 16:9 LCD.
Most likely a mirrorless D5000 series, even though the rumor leans more toward a D7000 series. I think the days of the D3000/D5000 DSLR are numbered.

Links on this page may be to our affiliates. Sales through affiliate links may benefit this site.
Nikon Cafe is a fan site and not associated with Nikon Corporation.
Forum post reactions by Twemoji: https://github.com/twitter/twemoji
Copyright © 2005-2019 Amin Forums, LLC
Top Bottom