Z50 APS-C Mirrorless could be released next week.

Real Name
David
I'm disappointed with the lack of in-camera image stabilization.
Yes VERY disappointing.

As for comparing it to other systems? Why should you? Yes Canon's R don't and only one Fuji does. But two of the latest Sony A series and all m4/3 with the exception of the GF series and GH5s have IBIS. It's also a feature that has been roundly applauded in the Z6/Z7.

I don't know why everyone is so tough on Nikon? I'm sure the camera will be very good. Not to mention there are some regions where FF cameras are too expensive. A cheaper APS-C camera should at least plug that gap Nikon created when they dumped the Nikon 1 system. They'll be in a better position than Canon with two incompatible mirrorless systems. Also Nikon and Sony will be the only two systems with a shared mount between their APS-C and FF lineup.

Real Name
David
I don't know why everyone is so tough on Nikon? I'm sure the camera will be very good. Not to mention there are some regions where FF cameras are too expensive. A cheaper APS-C camera should at least plug that gap Nikon created when they dumped the Nikon 1 system. They'll be in a better position than Canon with two incompatible mirrorless systems. Also Nikon and Sony will be the only two systems with a shared mount between their APS-C and FF lineup.
Agreed, but this is an opportunity where they could have taken a lead. I REALLY hope that part of the rumor is wrong.

Here is what the media think about entry level mirrorless cameras:
https://thewirecutter.com/reviews/best-mirrorless-camera-for-beginners/

The reader comments are rather telling to.

And, spoiler alert, here is what they say about Nikon:

"Nikon hasn’t announced a camera in this category since the Nikon 1 J5 in April 2015. With a small, 1-inch sensor, the J5 falls short of APS-C and Micro Four Thirds cameras."

Real Name
Andy
Today, it is dumb to have a non-stabilized body + non-stabilized lens.
Even a basic IBIS would have elevated it a lot.
Nikon has to have something to counter Canon's crop mirrorless cameras.
Nikon and Canon need to keep an eye on the rear view mirror because in many ways Sony has offerings which are far more appealing than theirs
this is an opportunity where they could have taken a lead. I REALLY hope that part of the rumor is wrong.
Agree with all of the above. I think it can be summed up this way:
Nikon thinks their competition is Canon, and they are trying to make sure they offer a line of mirrorless cameras that directly compete. What Canikon appear to be missing is that Sony is currently riding with the yellow jersey in this race.

Nikon thinks their competition is Canon, and they are trying to make sure they offer a line of mirrorless cameras that directly compete. What Canikon appear to be missing is that Sony is currently riding with the yellow jersey in this race.
Doesn't Sony have both APS-C and FF cameras?

Real Name
Ian
I agree with you 100%.

Nikon needs to stop worrying about what Canon is doing, and focus on Sony. Sony is setting the pace in the camera space, and forcing everyone else to catch up. Fortunately, the Z6 compares pretty favorably to the A7 III (and the Z7 to the A7R III), but Sony has the even higher resolution A7R IV now (I really wonder how much of a usable difference 61MP provides over 46MP. We're deep within the diminishing returns at this point), and will be releasing their A9 II sports camera soon as well.

Nikon's decision to put effort in to an entry-level, crop-sensor camera seems odd to me. If they were making a mirrorless D500 to compete against the likes of Sony's A6600, then OK. But I don't think that's what this camera is meant to be.

Doesn't Sony have both APS-C and FF cameras?
Yes, and their APS-C cameras are quite good if you go with the higher priced ones. IBIS, great sensors, class-leading AF, and they share the same mount/lenses as the FF cameras, giving users an upgrade path over time.

Real Name
David
I agree that Nikon should look past Canon, but should not stop at Sony. That would be just as short sighted as thinking Canon is their only competition.

"we want all of the above for $600 or less." That criterion is perhaps the most telling of all the criteria listed in the article. The need for IBIS was not explicitly mentioned.
Right, as they were focusing on entry-level mirrorless interchangeable lens cameras for the beginner, who is often someone coming from a cell phone camera or an old P&S that been lingering in a drawer...... In an earlier post I alluded to the fact that for many of those people price is a definite consideration and they are not ready or willing to throw thousands of dollars into a system yet. For some of them, particularly if they really become intrigued by photography and are developing more skills, that may well come later, though..... :)

Real Name
Bill Walderman
Mike, I own an X-T3. It does not have IBIS. This has been a persistent criticism of Fuji's X series (with the exception of the X-H1). Some but not all of Fuji's X series lenses have image stabilization. The primes, in particular, don't have IS,

Personally, I haven't found the lack of IBIS a serious deficiency, especially since the kit lens I use most often has IS, but many others seem to consider the lack of IBIS a deal-breaker.

Last edited:
Most likely a mirrorless D5000 series, even though the rumor leans more toward a D7000 series. I think the days of the D3000/D5000 DSLR are numbered.
While I still like my D810 a lot, I think that the days of the DSLR, other then perhaps 1 or 2 high end models, are numbered. From what I've read, it is less expensive to produce mirrorless cameras and since they are lighter, I think that there is little doubt that is the way the camera industry is headed. I don't know whether Nikon will get it right on their AP-C mirrorless but I think that the trend will hold.

It’s fun discussing where this is all headed. I wonder how long Nikon will support four different series of lenses. Happily, the used market will continue to be my source of equipment for the foreseeable future.

Official announcement expected to be October 10: https://petapixel.com/2019/10/03/nikon-to-announce-z50-aps-c-camera-and-58mm-f-0-95-noct-on-october-10/

Note that even if the Z grip is announced then, it will only be a battery pack, not a vertical grip that includes an extra set of buttons and dials for use in the vertical orientation. Deal breaker for me, though not a surprise considering that so far it is being marketed as an entry-level camera. Even so, this makes me think no Z models will ever have a vertical grip.

Links on this page may be to our affiliates. Sales through affiliate links may benefit this site.
Nikon Cafe is a fan site and not associated with Nikon Corporation.
Forum post reactions by Twemoji: https://github.com/twitter/twemoji
Copyright © 2005-2019 Amin Forums, LLC
Top Bottom