Z50 APS-C Mirrorless could be released next week.

I'm with Nick on this one. I thought that smaller and lighter was the raison d'etre for mirrorless. A grip goes in the other direction.
I've never used a grip and it doesn't matter to me, but there are others who love them. You would think that Nikon would cater to them as well. I guess it all takes time.

I bought a grip for my D100, clumsy affair at best. When I graduated to a D2X (actually I bought my way in :eek: ) it, being a professional camera (did nothing for my self-label) had a built-in grip and second set of controls, etc. 99 times out of a 100 I used the regular shutter release whenever I shot verticals - - years of habit, and I also found it far more stable to shoot that way. Also the controls often got bumped or locked accidentally and the former p*i**ed me off and the latter befuddled me. It also made the camera too tall for my Pelican hard case and my Lowepro backpack.

I thought that smaller and lighter was the raison d'etre for mirrorless. A grip goes in the other direction.
A mirrorless with a grip should weigh less than a dSLR with a grip. Even so, considering that they're gonna make a grip, which obviously will make the camera system larger and heavier, why not include the extra set of controls?

Do Olympus, FujiFilm, Panasonic Lumix, Canon and Sony all have it wrong by offering a vertical grip and Nikon is the only one that has it right by not offering it? Nope, I don't think so.

Mirrorless cameras with vertical grips:

Micro Four-Thirds
Olympus EM1X (built-in grip)
Olympus EM1 Mark II
Olympus EM5 Mark II

APS-C
FujiFilm XT2
FujiFilm XT3
FujiFilm XH1
Sony a6400

Full Frame
Panasonic Lumix DC S1R
Panasonic Lumix DC S1
Canon EOS R
Sony a7R Mark IV
Sony a9
Sony a9 ii

Last edited:
I've never used a grip and it doesn't matter to me, but there are others who love them. You would think that Nikon would cater to them as well.
Exactly! Offering an optional vertical grip doesn't force anyone to buy one, but not offering one will induce the people who want one to buy a competitor's camera body that does have one.

Copied from Nikon Rumors:

Some new/additional information on the upcoming Nikon Z50 APS-C mirrorless camera:

• Nikon Z50 price: €900 in most European countries (around $980)
  • Nikon Z50 kit price with the new Nikkor Z 16-55mm (or 16-50mm) f/3.5-6.3 VR lens: €1,100 (around $1,200)
  • The Nikon Z50 will have a rear screen that can be tilted downwards for selfies but it will not work with selfie sticks
  • 4k video
  • Maximum shutter speed: 1/4000
  • The Nikon Z50 will be a direct Sony a6400 camera competitor

Looks like D7200/D7500 price range.

First leaked picture (from Nikon Rumors):

Subscribe to see EXIF info for this image (if available)

The Sony offers an optional vertical grip but the Z50 won't. The Sony doesn't offer focus bracketing and we don't know yet whether the Z50 will.
I seriously doubt that Nikon is going to offer focus bracketing in what is obviously meant to be their entry-level camera for their mirrorless line. Those who want focus bracketing will have to look elsewhere and pay more....

Copied from Nikon Rumors:

Some new/additional information on the upcoming Nikon Z50 APS-C mirrorless camera:

• Nikon Z50 kit price with the new Nikkor Z 16-55mm (or 16-50mm) f/3.5-6.3 VR lens: €1,100 (around $1,200)

Looks like D7200/D7500 price range.
Well at least we know that the mount is the Z mount, and not a different mount, as Canon did with the M series.

I seriously doubt that Nikon is going to offer focus bracketing in what is obviously meant to be their entry-level camera for their mirrorless line. Those who want focus bracketing will have to look elsewhere and pay more....
Every company seems to have their own business model when it comes to decisions about focus bracketing. This is Nikon's first entry-level mirrorless camera, so we don't know Nikon's position about that. FujiFilm XT30, which is a mirrorless intended partly for "first-time beginners" and costs $800 (less than the rumored price of the Z50), has focus bracketing. Yet I haven't found any Sony camera that has it.

Maybe to cut cost.
But look at Olympus, ALL the EM series cameras, down to the entry level EM-10 have IBIS.
One of things that IBIS does is, it eliminates the need to put VR in all the lenses. So the size and cost of the lenses can be reduced. And if you have several/many lenses, the cost savings adds up.
The mfg can put VR into the pro lenses (for dual IS), but leave it off the consumer lenses and rely on the IBIS.

Today, it is dumb to have a non-stabilized body + non-stabilized lens.
It depends on what their business perspective is.
By moving the image stabilisation to the lens they make it harder for third party manufacturers to compete with them.
And as we see the emergence of cheap Chinese lenses, Nikon may be strategically protecting its aftermarket lens business.

Real Name
Bill
I've seen a lot of uproar on other sites about the lack of IBIS but at that price point and with the lenses having VR is it really a deal killer? NONE of my 3 DSLR bodies have IBIS and they're all still usable.

Many more pictures over at Petapixel now. Wonder if it will be the same size as the D5600? Comparing the pictures to the Z6 I have in my hand and assuming the Z50 uses the same Z-mount lenses, it would appear to be the same size as the Z6. Not much way to make it smaller using that mount.

In fact, the Z50 appears to have a bit of distance between the lens release button and the edge of the camera whereas the Z6 doesn't. Could the Z50 be bigger?

Last edited:
I've seen a lot of uproar on other sites about the lack of IBIS but at that price point and with the lenses having VR is it really a deal killer? NONE of my 3 DSLR bodies have IBIS and they're all still usable.
If you have VR in the long lens, not having IBIS is not an issue.
If you don't have VR in the lens, then not having IBIS becomes an issue.

Once I used a VR lens, I wasn't going back to a non-VR lens (on a non-IBIS camera), if I could help it.
IS, in the lens or body, is tremendously valuable for longer lenses.
Because many of newbies hold the camera like they do their cell phone, on the sides and with their arms out like wings. IOW a very unstable stance. And they NEED all the help they can get.

exactly, I could care less, it falls into the no 2nd card slot category
remember the great pics we took with the D50

Links on this page may be to our affiliates. Sales through affiliate links may benefit this site.
Nikon Cafe is a fan site and not associated with Nikon Corporation.
Forum post reactions by Twemoji: https://github.com/twitter/twemoji
Copyright © 2005-2019 Amin Forums, LLC
Top Bottom