Z50 APS-C Mirrorless could be released next week.

Real Name
David
I've seen a lot of uproar on other sites about the lack of IBIS but at that price point and with the lenses having VR is it really a deal killer? NONE of my 3 DSLR bodies have IBIS and they're all still usable.
exactly, I could care less, it falls into the no 2nd card slot category
remember the great pics we took with the D50
Completely agree on the 2nd card. Nice to have, but not really that big a deal to me. But I can't help thinking the lack of IBIS is a mistake.

Will the "compact primes" on the updated road map have VR? Will some of the longer zooms have VR? How about the 70-200 f/2.8 or f/4? The longer zooms could have VR and work together with IBIS like Olympus and Panasonic have done. But if those lenses don't have VR?

I understand the reaction from many here, but then again, how many of us (with 2 or 3 or 10 DSLRs) are the target market for this camera?

Do other manufacturers produce $850 cameras with IBIS? I ask because I have no idea.
Olympus' entire line has IBIS even on their most cheapest cameras, not to mention the best implementation of all systems. Saying that the Z50 has OSPDAF, something Olympus and I believe M43 isn't capable of supporting due to being a mainly CDAF system.

Real Name
David
Do other manufacturers produce $850 cameras with IBIS? I ask because I have no idea.
Currently all Panasonic and Olympus m4/3 bodies (with the exception of the Panasonic GF series and specialized GH5S) have IBIS. And several are less than $850. The entry level Olympus E-M10 mkIII is actually $650 full retail body only. The rangefinder style Panasonic GX9 is currently on sale for only $800 WITH a 12-60 (24-120 eq) lens, regularly $1000 with the lens. And the GX9 features Panasonic's Dual IS where both body and lens have IS working together.

There are a few others that are also available for $850 or less, but some are the previous versions still for sale or, like the E-M5 mkII, about to be replaced.

Don't get me wrong, there is not substitute for technique or knowledge of what you yourself can do. And that's not even touching were shutter speed is a factor for motion. I really just think for the market AND to simplify every lens under say 100-140mm (I personally think VR is still better for longer telephotos), it would have made more sense to have IBIS on this body.

I'm going to say, I kind of like the Z50, more so than the Z6/Z7! It's cheaper, has smaller lenses, uses UHS-II SD cards which are plenty fast, I could care less about video, has a selfie LCD (which despite what people may think is great for taking family snaps) and it'll have full access to both DX and FX F-mount lenses via the FTZ adapter (11fps with my 300mm f/4 PF VR with DX crop, heck yeah)!

Not to mention this should be compatible with Techart's TZE-01 Sony E-to-Z adapter giving it access to Sony's APS-C E-mount lenses like their 20mm 2.8 pancake, 50mm 1.8 OSS, 18-105mm f4, etc. (hopefully it's compatible with the Sigma 16mm 1.4, 30mm 1.4 and 56mm 1.4 lenses)! There's also potential for use with focal reducers bringing back the FF FOV and it would be a cheaper option for things like adapting MF Nikkors. People have to start thinking out of the DSLR box and start thinking mirrorless style! ;)

Real Name
David
Olympus' entire line has IBIS even on their most cheapest cameras, not to mention the best implementation of all systems. Saying that the Z50 has OSPDAF, something Olympus and I believe M43 isn't capable of supporting due to being a mainly CDAF system.
The E-M1 (mkI/mkII/X) systems have OSPDAF and the upcoming E-M5 mkIII will as well. Panasonic is doubling down on their DFD system (depth from defocus) by having it on their "S" line, but I personally don't think it's as good and can have a stuttering in the EVF.

Yes it has been a weakness in the system, time will tell going forward Olympus adds OSPDAF to the entry level E-M10 mkIV.

Currently all Panasonic and Olympus m4/3 bodies (with the exception of the Panasonic GF series and specialized GH5S) have IBIS. And several are less than $850. The entry level Olympus E-M10 mkIII is actually $650 full retail body only. The rangefinder style Panasonic GX9 is currently on sale for only $800 WITH a 12-60 (24-120 eq) lens, regularly $1000 with the lens. And the GX9 features Panasonic's Dual IS where both body and lens have IS working together.
Thanks for that information.

To further narrow the comparisons of cameras with IBIS, consider that none of those cameras are APS-C models. I gather that when Thom Hogan explained in his write-up of the Z50 that "the direct competition doesn't have sensor-based IS at this price point," he is probably thinking of APS-C cameras as the direct competition.

Real Name
David
Thanks for that information.

To further narrow the comparisons of cameras with IBIS, consider that none of those cameras are APS-C models. I gather that when Thom Hogan explained in his write-up of the Z50 that "the direct competition doesn't have sensor-based IS at this price point," he is probably thinking of APS-C cameras as the direct competition.
Very true not APS-C, but saying the only mirrorless system that actually has a native lens lineup even close to what Nikon and Canon offer for their SLRs is not a competitor?

He also commented right before "the direct competition..." that "The only good news here" and the rest of that section says basically that yes it should have had IBIS.

Last edited:
THIS model does not have IBIS.
But that is not to say that the next model up won't have IBIS.
So the Z50 is like a D5xxx without IBIS, the next model Z70 like a D7xxx might have IBIS.

This is the same discussion as the Z series with only one card slot.
There is nothing that prevents Nikon from adding a 2nd card slot in the next model.

BTW, the released Canon R series do not have IBIS either.

THIS model does not have IBIS.
But that is not to say that the next model up won't have IBIS.
So the Z50 is like a D5xxx without IBIS, the next model Z70 like a D7xxx might have IBIS.

This is the same discussion as the Z series with only one card slot.
There is nothing that prevents Nikon from adding a 2nd card slot in the next model.

BTW, the released Canon R series do not have IBIS either.
Thom Hogan thinks the Z50 is intended to replace the D7xxx line. Not sure I agree since there is now room for a Z70.

Just ordered my twin pack, i was put off at first due to the lack of IBIS but then i thought i have it on my EM1MK11 but never use it, instead i use the 100-400 lens IS.
I do like two cards in but we can't have everything, just got to wait until early November.

Goodness, this is SMALL. It’s hard to believe my behemoth D300s body has the same sized sensor - and more pixels. I hope the lenses are typical Nikon sharp especially at wide apertures.

It has no Commander mode. That would rule it out for my desktop photography if there is no workaround such as using the SU 800 Commander to control and fire off-camera flash units.

https://www.dpreview.com/articles/3165722696/hands-on-with-the-nikon-z50-and-its-16-50mm-and-50-250mm-lenses?slide=5

EDIT: Ken Rockwell says it has Nikon's "Advanced Wireless Lighting System," which means the SU 800 Commander can be used with it (which is a viable substitute for Commander mode not being in the camera).

Last edited:
Links on this page may be to our affiliates. Sales through affiliate links may benefit this site.
Nikon Cafe is a fan site and not associated with Nikon Corporation.
Forum post reactions by Twemoji: https://github.com/twitter/twemoji
Copyright © 2005-2019 Amin Forums, LLC
Top Bottom