Z50 Changing Focus mode AF-A and AF-area mode

QUESTIONS

1. Should my Z50 be able to select an option other than Focus Mode AF-A? If so, how? I can’t seem to master what I am supposed to do.

2. Should my Z50 allow me to change the AF-area mode? If so, how? I can’t seem to master what I am supposed to do.

BACKGROUND INFO

I have used the Z50 for a few months and I seem to remember being able to change both the Focus mode AF-A and the AF-area mode. Nothing happens when I click on Focus mode AF-A in the Photo Shooting Menu. When I try to change the AF-area mode I receive an error message “ This option is not available at current settings or in the camera’s current state.”

See uploaded series of pictures.

I have:

Read the reference manual on focusing
Reset the settings to default several times,
Changed lenses.
Removed memory card and battery
Turned camera off and on.

Thank you for any help.

Attachments

• 2021-08-15 Pictures.pdf
    1.8 MB · Views: 17
It's been set on Auto exposure mode throughout my attempts. I have not tried setting the exposure mode on something else. And, thank you. It is good to know that scene modes are restrictive.

Last edited:
It’s the Auto mode that is restricting the AF focus and area modes. In Auto the camera controls pretty much everything. Set the camera to A aperture priority (or S or M) mode and you’ll see that the Focus and Area mode can be changed.

just as an aside, the i button will display the quick menu on the rear display and is quicker than diving into menus to change parameter.

AC12 and MNglass, THANK YOU!!

As soon as I woke up this morning after being awake until after 3:00 am working with the camera and trying to figure out what was wrong, I immediately came to the NikonCafe to see if there were any additional responses.

When I followed MNglass's advice and changed the **Mode Dial*** to S or A, of course you know what happened, the Focus Mode changed as I rotated the Main Command Dial. Happily I knew I had to post again that my camera problem is solved, but sadly the greater root cause of UI (USER INCOMPETENCE) seems much harder to overcome. LOL

You both are great! Thank you. I also appreciate the additional information you provided. As you can tell I need it. Thanks again.

Edited 8-15-21 7:38 pm to correct "Focus Mode" to "Mode Dial."

Last edited:
AC12 and MNglass, THANK YOU!!

As soon as I woke up this morning after being awake until after 3:00 am working with the camera and trying to figure out what was wrong, I immediately came to the NikonCafe to see if there were any additional responses.

When I followed MNglass's advice and changed the Focus Mode to S or A, of course you know what happened, the Focus Mode changed as I rotated the Main Command Dial. Happily I knew I had to post again that my camera problem is solved, but sadly the greater root cause of UI (USER INCOMPETENCE) seems much harder to overcome. LOL

You both are great! Thank you. I also appreciate the additional information you provided. As you can tell I need it. Thanks again.

Don't work on a problem when you are tired. Your brain is not functioning normally.
After a good nights rest, problems you had the prior night, tend to be easily solved. Because you can think properly.
Been there, done that.

You have to STUDY the manual, to figure out the various controls.

I use P instead of Auto.
P avoids many of the issues that I have with Auto, while giving me the core of the Auto function.

I recommend that you purchase a good reference book on digital photography and spend some time with it with camera in hand. I highly recommend David Busch's book on the Z50, which reviews the fundamentals of photography while containing an exhaustive discussion of the Z50 and how to use all of its features.
Thank you. I bought the book today!

Don't work on a problem when you are tired. Your brain is not functioning normally.
After a good nights rest, problems you had the prior night, tend to be easily solved. Because you can think properly.
Been there, done that.

You have to STUDY the manual, to figure out the various controls.

I use P instead of Auto.
P avoids many of the issues that I have with Auto, while giving me the core of the Auto function.

BTW, I am doing photo training for my local high school Sports Leadership class.
It is a LOT of PowerPoint slides, and it takes a LONG time to present. So expect to take time to learn and figure it out.

Read the book, then DO IT. Doing it is how you learn.
Did you understand what you read? If you can't do it, maybe you didn't.
And often what "seems" clear in the manual/books, isn't so clear on the camera.

The problem with a book is, you can't ask questions.
That is what the forum can help you with.

Then USE it. So what you learn sinks in.

Latest threads

Links on this page may be to our affiliates. Sales through affiliate links may benefit this site.
Nikon Cafe is a fan site and not associated with Nikon Corporation.
Forum post reactions by Twemoji: https://github.com/twitter/twemoji
Forum GIFs powered by GIPHY: https://giphy.com/
Copyright © Amin Forums, LLC
Top Bottom