Z50 for Travel

Not sure where to post this, or if this is even helpful or even interesting to anyone...

In a couple other threads (and forums) I had been working through what to bring on a "once in a lifetime" vacation. Normally my family stays within the US, and often drive so having to limit the kit was never a concern (D500 and various lenses).

For a trip to Norway... after a lot of consideration, I ended up deciding to get a smaller/lighter kit for travel (I was originally trying to decide which lenses to bring or purchase for the D500). I ended up ordering a Z50 mirrorless and a couple F mount DX lenses and will be taking:
  • Nikon Z50 with 2 lens kit (16-50, 55-200)
  • FTZ adapter and:
    • Nikon 10-20 AF-P
    • Nikon 35mm DX f1.8
@Pa Thanks for the original suggestion to consider a Z50 as a second body, which started me down the journey to consider a small body as a second camera with a lens mounted. Where I eventually landed is to just travel light as possible and only bring the Z50 and leave the D500 at home. I may still decide to bring the D500 with one of the lenses mounted, but currently thinking just the Z50 and lenses.

@Randy You had mentioned how the non-optical viewfinder was an issue. I had thought that through too. I had a smaller 1" sensor camera with an EVF for a while, it was quite different. I think I will get used to the EVF though, especially for intended use. For action, BIF, etc, not sure how I would feel about it. For travel and mostly static or slower moving, or occasionally tracking subjects I think I will get along with the EVF. Just saying, I can relate to your concerns with the view finder on the Z50, but think for travel and causal use it will be alright. Jury is out. Thanks for sharing your experience with the Z50, it helped me to carefully consider some aspects of the experience.

Real Name
Randy
Not sure where to post this, or if this is even helpful or even interesting to anyone...

In a couple other threads (and forums) I had been working through what to bring on a "once in a lifetime" vacation. Normally my family stays within the US, and often drive so having to limit the kit was never a concern (D500 and various lenses).

For a trip to Norway... after a lot of consideration, I ended up deciding to get a smaller/lighter kit for travel (I was originally trying to decide which lenses to bring or purchase for the D500). I ended up ordering a Z50 mirrorless and a couple F mount DX lenses and will be taking:
  • FTZ adapter and:
    • Nikon 10-20 AF-P
    • Nikon 35mm DX f1.8
@Pa Thanks for the original suggestion to consider a Z50 as a second body, which started me down the journey to consider a small body as a second camera with a lens mounted. Where I eventually landed is to just travel light as possible and only bring the Z50 and leave the D500 at home. I may still decide to bring the D500 with one of the lenses mounted, but currently thinking just the Z50 and lenses.

@Randy You had mentioned how the non-optical viewfinder was an issue. I had thought that through too. I had a smaller 1" sensor camera with an EVF for a while, it was quite different. I think I will get used to the EVF though, especially for intended use. For action, BIF, etc, not sure how I would feel about it. For travel and mostly static or slower moving, or occasionally tracking subjects I think I will get along with the EVF. Just saying, I can relate to your concerns with the view finder on the Z50, but think for travel and causal use it will be alright. Jury is out. Thanks for sharing your experience with the Z50, it helped me to carefully consider some aspects of the experience.
I’m glad I was able to help

• FTZ adapter and:
    • Nikon 10-20 AF-P
    • Nikon 35mm DX f1.8

Good for you, I think.:cautious: Let us know how it works out.

(Pardon my ignorance, but what is the significance of the "@" in front of a username?)

(Pardon my ignorance, but what is the significance of the "@" in front of a username?)
When I keyed your name in the post a dropdown showed up and I selected you. That must have tagged you then I believe the forum code added the hashtag in front of your name. If you were notified about this post that's probably what happened.

• FTZ adapter and:
    • Nikon 10-20 AF-P
    • Nikon 35mm DX f1.8

I'll be interested to hear how things pan out for you on your trip.

My wife and I are just back from a 2 week trip (Florida, cruise to Central America).

I left everything at home, except the Z50, 16-50, 24-120 and 70-200 f/4, and FTZ adapter.

As a travel camera, this was a huge success. With the pancake lens, it fits in a jacket pocket. I took the camera everywhere.

My only error was in thinking it could do everything. As such, we went on day trips with just the Z50 and 16-50. Ended up needing something longer, and better in low light. Learning point for me: The camera works everywhere, but the 16-50 lens doesn't.

That said, I found myself with camera in hand in situations where I might not otherwise have brought the D750 along.

I hope that your trip goes well.
Ronnie

Here are a few of my Z50 photos as mentioned above.

First one with 70-200/f4

The 2 sunset photos are with the 24-120/f4

All others with the 16-50 kit lens.

Subscribe to see EXIF info for this image (if available)

Real Name
Steve
I am in mid-process of choosing between my Fuji X100F (which I love), and this upstart Z50. With the kit lens, the sizes are functionally very close (I like a grip, hood, and thumb grip on the X100F). So far, I'm liking the grip on the Z50 better, and the range of the kit lens goes wider than the X100F, and just as long as the X100F with built-in teleconverter (without the sensor crop). IQ is perfectly fine on both. I'm still more familiar with Nikon menus over Fuji, but that wouldn't make me keep one over the other. It is a really tough call. I appreciate the leaf shutter and OVF of the X100F, but could live without both. Right now a big factor is that I can grab my 70-300AF-P (with FTZ), and dramatically add to the reach of the Z50, but then at what point would I just take Z7? It is a great problem to have. Walking through our zoo on Wednesday, I couldn't do this with the X100F...

My only error was in thinking it could do everything. As such, we went on day trips with just the Z50 and 16-50. Ended up needing something longer, and better in low light. Learning point for me: The camera works everywhere, but the 16-50 lens doesn't.

That said, I found myself with camera in hand in situations where I might not otherwise have brought the D750 along.

I hope that your trip goes well.
Ronnie
Thanks for the sharing your experience. It is so tempting to bring my Sigma 50-100 f/1.8 or 70-200 f/4 for lower light or subject isolation. However, I believe the vast majority of the situations will call for larger DOF anyway. Also, in the summer there we will experience so much daylight that low light situations will be fairly uncommon. The 35 1.8 I believe will be versatile enough for museums and other low light situations we may encounter.

I'm willing to trade large glass for portability on this trip, and I'll have the reach I need with the 50-250. We are planning some adventures where it will be nice to go light for sure. Although... my teenage son may be willing to carry a couple things ;)

I usually shoot RAW+Jpeg. I like some sharpening on my Jpeg (D500 have standard set to +3 sharpness, +1 clarity). I realize I will have to experiment and settle into my preference. I'm curious what others have done on their Z bodies though. Have you made any changes or discoveries in this regard? I thought read a recommendation someplace of sharpening +5 and mid-range sharpening +5, Clarity +1.

Nice shots! enjoyed them all. Thanks Ronnie!

Latest posts

Links on this page may be to our affiliates. Sales through affiliate links may benefit this site.
Nikon Cafe is a fan site and not associated with Nikon Corporation.
Forum post reactions by Twemoji: https://github.com/twitter/twemoji
Copyright © 2005-2019 Amin Forums, LLC
Top Bottom