Z50, I’m thinking I might pass

Why?
Did you want 11fps with the mechanical shutter?

When I shoot at 10+fps I would rather use the electronic shutter.
That is less wear on the mechanical shutter, because I expect to be shooting THOUSANDS of frames.
I shoot HS sports with a D7200 at 6fps, and I shoot about 25,000+ frames a year.
If I go to 12fps I would end up at around 50,000 frames. I would rather not be putting that much additional wear on the mechanical shutter.

Most of the time i would not want 11fps but for fast-flying small birds the lack of blackout could help but I would not want to risk the rolling shutter effect on background objects.

Real Name
Ian
Why?
Did you want 11fps with the mechanical shutter?

When I shoot at 10+fps I would rather use the electronic shutter.
That is less wear on the mechanical shutter, because I expect to be shooting THOUSANDS of frames.
I shoot HS sports with a D7200 at 6fps, and I shoot about 25,000+ frames a year.
If I go to 12fps I would end up at around 50,000 frames. I would rather not be putting that much additional wear on the mechanical shutter.
Why? Two words: Rolling Shutter

Stabilized sensor meaning every lens is stabilized, 1/8000 mechanical shutter and 1/32000 electronic shutter, 80MP high resolution images, 30fps with pre-burst capture, Live Bulb for active sensor readout during long exposures. I could go on.

There are far more features in the E-M5 III than there are in the Z50, which is essentially a mirrorless D7500. So while it’s easy to dismiss the camera for having a “small sensor”, it’s far more technologically advanced than the Z50’s is.

I had in-body-stabilizer (IBIS) cameras since the first generation of Sony A7, and went along with them until A7R3...to Z6, so I know and I cannot live without IBIS. I picked Z6 over Canon EOS R because of that.
For me, no sense to get a E-M5 at that price instead of Z50 as a second/third camera while someone is having Z6/Z7 and a bunch of Nikon lenses.. Two different systems and yet, not pocketable sizes, regardless how technology it's equipped with :) .

Those who want to shoot fast-moving people, birds or animals without blackout really should look at Sony's A9 or new A9 II......

Have Sony started making cameras

images3.jpg
Subscribe to see EXIF info for this image (if available)

Butlerkid

Cafe Ambassador
Administrator
Real Name
Karen
OK - I AM impressed with this Z50 kit!!!!! Wish I hadn't watch the video........ LOL!

What are the odds the price will go even lower right before Christmas? Seems like that happened last year on Nikon products, if I remember correctly.

Any offers like this that include a free FTZ adapter?

This camera is getting quite a bit of interest. However it is about the same size and weight as the D5600, and probably has an equivalent sensor. The D5600 has more convenient controls, and the entire F-mount lens selection available, though it does require AF-S for autofocus. In addition, the D5600 LCD can be swung out to the side and articulated much more completely.

We'll have to wait and see if the lenses are significantly better, but they may be.

Real Name
Andreas Berglund
Agree! As I said in another post, I need an FTZ adapter, I have lots of lenses I could use on this camera and I will wait until its included in the price.

I have a 70-200mm F4 that would be a great fit for this camera (and another 25 Nikon lenses or so....)

OK - I AM impressed with this Z50 kit!!!!! Wish I hadn't watch the video........ LOL!

What are the odds the price will go even lower right before Christmas? Seems like that happened last year on Nikon products, if I remember correctly.

Any offers like this that include a free FTZ adapter?

Butlerkid

Cafe Ambassador
Administrator
Real Name
Karen
I am rather disappointed that the camera only supports UHS I SD cards. Haven't UHS II cards been out a very long time? Wonder how awkward it is to get the card in and out of the camera?

Real Name
Doug
This camera is getting quite a bit of interest. However it is about the same size and weight as the D5600, and probably has an equivalent sensor. The D5600 has more convenient controls, and the entire F-mount lens selection available, though it does require AF-S for autofocus. In addition, the D5600 LCD can be swung out to the side and articulated much more completely.

We'll have to wait and see if the lenses are significantly better, but they may be.
The allure of this camera depends on where you are now with gear and what your photographic needs are. Randy is looking for a high image quality travel kit so the native lenses are paramount. Others are looking to use their existing F-mount lenses and await a free/bundled adapter.

I already have the Z6 with the S-mount 24-70. I purchased this as a kit with the FTZ bundled. I also own a D500 with a small collection of F-mount lenses and a D5600 with the 18-55 and 70-300. It would be nice to downsize and simplify but:
- I will keep the D500 and 70-200 f/2.8 (for now) for grand kid's sports (and the 70-200 is a splendid portrait lens).
- Even if I was inclined to swap the D5600 kit for the Z50, Nikon has a D5600 kit with the same lenses I have on sale for half-price ($599). If I sold mine I would get pennies on the dollar. The D5600 is too good a camera to, essentially, throw away and the benefits of the Z50 are not compelling enough.

Bottom line for me is that I will probably thin the herd that is my F-mount lens collection, pick up the S-mount 14-30. I will wait to see what upgrades/improvements Nikon offers via firmware for the Z6 (to see if it is practical to sell the D500) and will also wait to see how the promised S-mount 70-200 turns out. With adequate AF performance and a kit of 14-30, 24-70 and 70-200 glass, I could easily go all in with Nikon mirrorless. If any of my bucket list trips materialize, I can rent the exotic stuff.

Real Name
Steve
I have a Z50 and will either return it or sell it here if it helps someone who doesn’t have easy access. Why? I just like my Fuji APS-C bodies better. If you’re interested, let me know. I can include a 46mm Nikon filter and SD card with a fair price. If you’re in the US I can offer to send it in under warranty if you like (on the off chance something goes wrong).

The body feels nice, the lens is better than I expected. It is really tiny, about same as my X100F.

A568DA39-C645-4767-916A-BC09B3638E15.jpeg
Subscribe to see EXIF info for this image (if available)

Real Name
Randy
For walking around I’m sticking with the strangest combo I could imagine from my collection
D500 + 16-80, The IQ. is amazing and it’s still small and light but that’s relative I guess

Latest threads

Top Bottom