Z50, I’m thinking I’m in

Can't think of any reason in buying this camera, maybe if they make it a bit smaller so I can tape it to my phone ... hey wait a minute :D
I have only one reason to buy this camera when I'm having other Z lenses and I need a smaller body for traveling or walking around. Also, since Nikon does not plan to have 105 or 135mm f1.8S or f2, I would use my Z85mm 1.8S on Z50 to make it 135 :)

I have only one reason to buy this camera when I'm having other Z lenses and I need a smaller body for traveling or walking around.
For me the Z6 is almost too small to spend holding all day and being comfortable, the Z50 being even smaller gets automatically disqualified. I assume people will be buying it on price only, especially once it gets discounted next year. If I was looking for a walk around pocket camera, something like a Lumix DC-LX100 Mark II would be more interesting.
Each to his own.
https://camerasize.com/compare/#834,795

If I remember correctly, nobody makes an APS-C mirrorless with IBIS.
Sony has recently announced a new A6500, which indeed is APS-C mirrorless with IBIS. I think one of their earlier APS-C models also had IBIS but most of that line does not. Of course, the 6500 is being touted as Sony's APS-C flagship model, and is somewhat more expensive than Nikon's Z50.

If I remember correctly, nobody makes an APS-C mirrorless with IBIS.
The Sony A6500 and Fuji X-H1 have IBIS.
That's interesting, David. You and I were discussing in a different thread Thom Hogan's write-up of the Z50 where he wrote that "the direct competition doesn't have sensor-based IS at this price point." The FujiFIlm X-H1 is at that price point. Better yet, its battery grip has the vertical controls, which the Z battery grip doesn't have. B&H sells the X-H1 and grip for $1000.

I wanted a new Nikon 1 but i guess this is as close as i will get.

Subscribe to see EXIF info for this image (if available)

Real Name
David
That's interesting, David. You and I were discussing in a different thread Thom Hogan's write-up of the Z50 where he wrote that "the direct competition doesn't have sensor-based IS at this price point." The FujiFIlm X-H1 is at that price point. Better yet, its battery grip has the vertical controls, which the Z battery grip doesn't have. B&H sells the X-H1 and grip for $1000.
The X-H1 is only "currently" in the price range. It was $1,899 body only when released.

Real Name
Randy
With the success of 16-80, I believe Nikon will make one for Z DX mount (S line?). This is such a nice zoom for travel or walking around.
The 16-80 is a superb lens that can be purchased for 1/2 price used. I got a new copy from someone’s kit. It so surprised me I took it to Italy as my only gear and it was amazing, way better than the 24-120 on the D800 on my previous trip

I had a chance to hold and play with a Z6 a little bit yesterday. It felt solid, but too small in my hands to be comortable for long. Also the EVF really bothered me, turing on and off and the lag - I prefer to see with my eye so an OVF is my preferrence. If the Z50 is even smaller - I don't know.

I suppose it could take the role of a nice point and shoot - but I will not be jumping on the mirrorless bandwagon until it has had a chance to mature - or perhaps when (if) my dslrs stop meeting my needs.

JLH

I guess I am just an old fashion guy who grew up with SLR's "back in the day". I am sure this new camera will be wonderful but so far I can't say its the camera for me. I have several DX camers now from a D5200 to a D500 and a few 7xxx's inbetween and love them all. I just can't see jumping in on a mirrorless just yet. On the full frame side my D750 gets the job done so I am no hurry on replacing it either with a Z6 or Z7. All that said I am looking forward to seeing results from this new camera and hope it works out well. I give Nikon a year or two on this and will see how it shakes out this line. You have to know there are more models coming....I want to wait and see.

Hey does anyone wish they used Nikon EN-EL15b battery on the Z50? It's not like they couldn't fit that battery inside a small body, because it fit inside the Nikon V1! Plus battery life would be awesome with no IBIS and a smaller DX sensor. I'm glad you can charge the battery via USB, but why not type-c instead of micro USB? Micro USB slots are prone to breakage after long term use. USB type-C is more akin to the Apple Lighting cable which is far more sturdy. It's little things like this where I feel Nikon isn't forward thinking in their approach.

Nikon to me has become more conservative over the years. I remember when the D1 series came out, it came with a direct firewire 400 port for data transfer which was great for fast downloads. Also the Nikon D100 battery grip came with a microphone for voice memos. I loved having that microphone for jotting down names of places or just recording sounds of the events I was shooting. Fast forward to 17 years later and the Z6/Z7 battery grip comes with no dials, no shutter button and no voice memo!

Prices are not too bad on used Nikon 1 stuff these days since the discontinuation year(s) ago.
That's how I picked up my Nikon J5 bodies on fire sale. I'm keeping them around because there aren't too many small cameras with OSPDAF, while sporting a fairly high megapixel BSI sensor. I can also slap the FT1 adapter when I need extreme telephoto reach on the fly!

Going back to DX seems a pattern - on my last vacation to New Orleans, I took my D500, 16-85VR, 10-24 and 70-300VR. The 70-300 got almost no use. I bought the 16-85 years ago with my D90, and I would upgrade to the new 16-80, but it's just too good and the extra 5mm is kind of nice sometimes. Until Nikon matches their DX mirrorless with comparable optics to the 16-80 and the 10-24, I'll wait.

It would also be nice if Nikon improved their FX mid-range zooms. My 24-85VR has been great, but 85 is shorter than I like for a single travel mid-range lens and 24-120 has too many drawbacks (size, weight and IQ). I'd love a 24-105/4.

Real Name
Randy
Going back to DX seems a pattern - on my last vacation to New Orleans, I took my D500, 16-85VR, 10-24 and 70-300VR. The 70-300 got almost no use. I bought the 16-85 years ago with my D90, and I would upgrade to the new 16-80, but it's just too good and the extra 5mm is kind of nice sometimes. Until Nikon matches their DX mirrorless with comparable optics to the 16-80 and the 10-24, I'll wait.

It would also be nice if Nikon improved their FX mid-range zooms. My 24-85VR has been great, but 85 is shorter than I like for a single travel mid-range lens and 24-120 has too many drawbacks (size, weight and IQ). I'd love a 24-105/4.
I remember when I liked the 24-120

I remember when I liked the 24-120
I have some excellent photos made with my 24-120. But when I compared it side-by-side with the 16-80 I was blown away.

I had a love/hate relationship with the 24-120. I liked the images on a D600/D610 but hated the size and weight. I still have it but it has a small scratch on the front element so it has little resale value.

Links on this page may be to our affiliates. Sales through affiliate links may benefit this site.
Nikon Cafe is a fan site and not associated with Nikon Corporation.
Forum post reactions by Twemoji: https://github.com/twitter/twemoji
Copyright © 2005-2019 Amin Forums, LLC
Top Bottom