Z50, I’m thinking I might pass

Real Name
Andreas Berglund
This is not a real good thing, no dust sensor shake reduction
Unlike its full-frame siblings, the Nikon Z50 lacks any physical form of dust reduction for its sensor, instead relying on the ability to capture a dust-off reference photo which can then be used to remove dust from your images automatically in software for as long as the dust particles predominantly remain in the same locations.

Real Name
Ian
Unlike its full-frame siblings, the Nikon Z50 lacks any physical form of dust reduction for its sensor, instead relying on the ability to capture a dust-off reference photo which can then be used to remove dust from your images automatically in software for as long as the dust particles predominantly remain in the same locations.
So you're implying that only cameras that have IBIS can clean their sensors?

DSLRs have had ultrasonic-based sensor cleaning systems for years. You don't need IBIS to have an automated dust cleaning cycle.

Real Name
Ian
From the D500's manual, which doesn't have IBIS:

1571169193751.png
Subscribe to see EXIF info for this image (if available)

Real Name
Andreas Berglund
Not sure how you came to that conclusion, and I really don't know the answer to this.

So you're implying that only cameras that have IBIS can clean their sensors?

DSLRs have had ultrasonic-based sensor cleaning systems for years. You don't need IBIS to have an automated dust cleaning cycle.

Real Name
Ian
Not sure how you came to that conclusion, and I really don't know the answer to this.
I came to that conclusion because you said :
While quoting an unknown source from an unknown article.

I would be shocked if Nikon didn't have an automated ultrasonic sensor cleaning option in the Z50, since the D7500 has one.

Real Name
Andreas Berglund
Sorry about that here is the link to imaging resource https://www.imaging-resource.com/PRODS/nikon-z50/nikon-z50A.HTM

My point was merely that I didn't follow the connection to IBIS and lack of dust reduction

I came to that conclusion because you said :

While quoting an unknown source from an unknown article.

I would be shocked if Nikon didn't have an automated ultrasonic sensor cleaning option in the Z50, since the D7500 has one.

BTW I learnt you can shoot 30fps in live view of 8 mp images, that is 4K size I think, not bad at all pretty cool

What would make that really cool would be if they had followed Panasonic and Olympus and given that a pre-capture function

Real Name
Andrew
What would make that really cool would be if they had followed Panasonic and Olympus and given that a pre-capture function
Possible 'kaizen' approach and added later? We can only hope? They may keep that as an option on higher end cameras though, as that is the approach that m43 took.

Real Name
Leif
Nikon have done a lot right here, small, nice body, decent sensor. No IBIS is tolerable. No flash commander mode is not ideal but it is okay. The absence of sensor cleaning is for me a complete deal breaker. Sensor cleaning on my D500 is a god send, and I really would not want to go back to regular manual cleaning. Surely for Jo Average that must be a deal breaker?

Real Name
Ian
I used to clean the sensor myself then I discovered the $50 every 3-4 year cleaning so I'm OK with no auto clean
That was with a DSLR, no? With a mirror to help shield the sensor?

The Z6 (and presumably the Z50) sensor is very close to the flange, and thus very exposed. With my Z6, I have it set to autoclean at startup or shutdown (can't remember how the setting is configured in camera), and then I will occasionally manually tell the sensor to clean, because the sensor does get dirty (dirtier than my Olympus mirrorless cameras).

Real Name
Randy
That was with a DSLR, no? With a mirror to help shield the sensor?

The Z6 (and presumably the Z50) sensor is very close to the flange, and thus very exposed. With my Z6, I have it set to autoclean at startup or shutdown (can't remember how the setting is configured in camera), and then I will occasionally manually tell the sensor to clean, because the sensor does get dirty (dirtier than my Olympus mirrorless cameras).
Good point thanks

Real Name
Ian
Good point thanks
I don’t think it’s something to dissuade you from buying the camera, but it’s something to keep in mind. You will have to clean the sensor more frequently than you’re used to with DSLRs.

Such is the price we pay for living that mirrorless life!

Latest threads

Top Bottom