Z50, I’m thinking I might pass

Butlerkid

Cafe Ambassador
Real Name
Karen
I really haven't given any time to checking out the Z offerings. But maybe someone could tell me why (other than cost) one would choose the Z50 instead of the Z6?

Much larger and better sensor.

But I don't see that the Z50 has much advantage over a D5500 or D5600.
The fact that it is a mirrorless camera, with the advantages inherent in those? Do either the D5500 or 5600 have focus peaking, for instance? Each of them would have an optical viewfinder as opposed to an electronic viewfinder. Silent shooting is possible with a mirrorless camera -- no mirror slap. Those factors may be important to someone who wants a small, lightweight camera for travel or hiking or whatever.

I've just checked a few shops here in Australia, and the Z 50 is about the only camera not included in the 15% off black Friday sales. The newly released Olympus E-M5 III is included.
I'm seriously considering adding another Fuji to my collection.

The fact that it is a mirrorless camera, with the advantages inherent in those? Do either the D5500 or 5600 have focus peaking, for instance? Each of them would have an optical viewfinder as opposed to an electronic viewfinder. Silent shooting is possible with a mirrorless camera -- no mirror slap. Those factors may be important to someone who wants a small, lightweight camera for travel or hiking or whatever.
I agree. Coming from D5600 to Z50 (I did), the viewfinder is a big improvement. Focus accuracy potentially better since D5XXX does not have fine tuning. Two control wheels / Focus peaking / live histogram / U1 and U2 on the dial. Plus I really like the 16-50 kit zoom. Great IQ for money / size (similar to the 18-55 af-p) but it barely extends past the grip when in closed position. This makes the camera / lens quite a bit easier to store / carry.

Overall I really liked the D5600 and IQ is very similar but the items I listed lead me to change. Unfortunately the weather here is terrible so I have barely used it (the Z50).

Real Name
Chris
I’d say the single largest factor (for me anyways) is the S mount lenses / design change. It’s the reason I ended up getting rid of the 850 and changed over to the Z7. Had it not been for that, I wouldn’t have budged. I do not regret my decision at all either. The optics on the new lens series is absolutely amazing compared to even their professional level F mount lenses. The “kit” lens took better pictures than it’s F mount professional equivalent. That combined with the updated features such as auto focus stack (for you Macro gurus) and a reliable remote wireless shutter function etc etc make it an affordable step up from the 5 and 7 thousand series cameras. Just my two cents.

Links on this page may be to our affiliates. Sales through affiliate links may benefit this site.
Nikon Cafe is a fan site and not associated with Nikon Corporation.
Forum post reactions by Twemoji: https://github.com/twitter/twemoji
Copyright © 2005-2019 Amin Forums, LLC
Top Bottom