Z50, I’m thinking I might pass

@Randy, have you used a mirrorless camera before?

The reason I ask is the EVF refresh rate, particularity for moving subjects. I'm sure there will be an option to increase the refresh rate at the expense of battery usage. My Olympus and Fuji bodies have this. I haven't checked the Z7. The lag can be frustrating at times for fast moving subjects. I don't have issues if the subject is moving in a continuous direction, its mainly when they're darting all over the place. I have been considering purchasing either the Nikon, or Olympus Dot Sight to see if that helps.
I would not count on a red-dot sight.
The hot shoe is not made for a precision aiming instrument.
How would you KNOW that the AF point is on the subject, unless you use a large 9x9 focus area.

The lag depends on the specific camera.
My Olympus EM1-mk1 has an irritating EVF lag, even at high refresh rate. My EM1-mk2 does not.

Real Name
David
Before I discovered the 16-80 I never thought I would buy into DX again
I picked up a crop sensor again when my wife and I were going on road trip. The plan was drive a day, spend a day exploring. I had a rolling bag of FX gear for events and the smallest kit I could come up with was a D700 and the old 28-105.

Eventually it allowed me stabilize my event kit and play with my m4/3 kit (the gas pains were also cheaper).

While I do think it should have IBIS (if you haven't noticed :oops:), there is a lot to like about the Z50. I could see it as a complement to an SLR or an FX Z. The latest road map is impressive, but I'm not ready to switch back based on a road map. That said I could see a kit made up of:

Z7 / Z50​
DX zoom, probably just the 16-50​
FX zooms 14-30 / 24-104* / 100-400​
FX compact primes 28** / 40**​

* assuming the 24-105 is a constant f/4
** really the only place where IBIS on the Z50 would have been nice assuming the 100-400 will have VR.

I picked up a crop sensor again when my wife and I were going on road trip. The plan was drive a day, spend a day exploring. I had a rolling bag of FX gear for events and the smallest kit I could come up with was a D700 and the old 28-105.

Eventually it allowed me stabilize my event kit and play with my m4/3 kit (the gas pains were also cheaper).

While I do think it should have IBIS (if you haven't noticed :oops:), there is a lot to like about the Z50. I could see it as a complement to an SLR or an FX Z. The latest road map is impressive, but I'm not ready to switch back based on a road map. That said I could see a kit made up of:

Z7 / Z50​
DX zoom, probably just the 16-50​
FX zooms 14-30 / 24-104* / 100-400​
FX compact primes 28** / 40**​

* assuming the 24-105 is a constant f/4
** really the only place where IBIS on the Z50 would have been nice assuming the 100-400 will have VR.
With the magnification of the 100-400, I would hope that it will have VR + integration with the IBIS for Dual-IS.
Both Olympus and Panasonic have Dual-IS, so it can be done.​
The issue is how bad will the power drain be? Dual-IS with the Olympus 12-100/4 is so bad, that a 4 hour battery life drops to a measly 2-1/2 hours. I don't know what the Panasonic combos do.​
The greater the magnification, the more the apparent wobble in the viewfinder. So the greater the Dual-IS benefit.

I like your kit idea.

Nikon's marketing is so boring. I want to see the Z50 with an FTZ adapter + 800mm f/5.6 VR lens attached or slap on a cheap 10-20 AFP VR for instant wide angle action!

Real Name
Tim
Those sigma lenses, I hated on my DX DSLRs because if focusing issues... Not that there is the Z50.... If Sigma ensures compatibility, they become even more interesting.
Odd - I've never had focusing issues on either - they're two of my favorite lenses, and I've been known to put them on my FX bodies in crop mode with excellent results, in both low light (venue) shooting and day-day. The 50-100 on my D500 absolutely sings....I'm actually selling off my D500 and just using FX, but keeping those lenses despite that. Maybe I just got really good copies....

Real Name
David
......The issue is how bad will the power drain be? Dual-IS with the Olympus 12-100/4 is so bad, that a 4 hour battery life drops to a measly 2-1/2 hours. I don't know what the Panasonic combos do........
You've commented about this before, but I'm not seeing the same thing. I have to wonder if something else is going on.

Real Name
David
I'm not a fan of plastic mount lenses so I'll just wait to see what else comes along.
I'm not a big fan of them either. But they do save cost and weight. They also have less friction when mounting and unmounting from the body, so less turning force.

While I have NO proof, Panasonic went from a metal mount to a plastic mount on their 12-32 collapsible kit lens. Prior to that you would regularly see posts about the top section separating. Reports of the issue seemed to reduce when they went to the plastic mount and I know that the force required to mount the plastic mount version was a lot less. Since it's a kit lens and I like to try different bodies I've own 5 different copies of the 12-32. I think I had 2 metal mounts version and 3 plastic mount, I only ever experienced the issue on one of the metal mount lenses.

I'm with Randy on this. I watched Jared Polin's first look shooting with the camera and it seemed rather nice. a small light weight camera with two lenses that cover most of the range and two dials.....

When I travel for work I would like something better than my phone and lighter than my D850...

So i'm in.

Cheers,
alexis and Georgie Beagle

"Mom, the D850 with the 500Pf is light if you have someone carry it for you..." - Georgie Beagle

I'm not a big fan of them either. But they do save cost and weight. They also have less friction when mounting and unmounting from the body, so less turning force.

While I have NO proof, Panasonic went from a metal mount to a plastic mount on their 12-32 collapsible kit lens. Prior to that you would regularly see posts about the top section separating. Reports of the issue seemed to reduce when they went to the plastic mount and I know that the force required to mount the plastic mount version was a lot less. Since it's a kit lens and I like to try different bodies I've own 5 different copies of the 12-32. I think I had 2 metal mounts version and 3 plastic mount, I only ever experienced the issue on one of the metal mount lenses.
Fair enough and thanks for the informative reply. I'll keep an open mind - but I'll still wait.

My pancake Nikon 1 10-30mm PD VR has a metal mount! :D

Real Name
Andrew
Odd - I've never had focusing issues on either - they're two of my favorite lenses, and I've been known to put them on my FX bodies in crop mode with excellent results, in both low light (venue) shooting and day-day. The 50-100 on my D500 absolutely sings....I'm actually selling off my D500 and just using FX, but keeping those lenses despite that. Maybe I just got really good copies....
Oh, they were just horrible on anything but the center focus point in the D500. Try and use any other focus point and it would never be in focus. Just not worth the hassle.

Real Name
Tim
Oh, they were just horrible on anything but the center focus point in the D500. Try and use any other focus point and it would never be in focus. Just not worth the hassle.
Still odd for me - when I'm shooting in small venues I pretty much use everything *but* the center focus point. Now I think I'm going to have to take them out with the Z6 and D850 and shoot crop and see what results I get...I usually only used them on the D750, but since that's now up for sale... :)

Can't think of any reason in buying this camera, maybe if they make it a bit smaller so I can tape it to my phone ... hey wait a minute :D

I sold my XT-30/18-55 kit right away after I saw this Z-50 released. I always had to have two systems, one full frame with fast primes and one small APS-C/zoom for traveling. Fuji is nice but I prefer to have one Z system like I had Sony A7R3 and A6000. This Z50 would partner well with my Z6 and I can use three Z1.8 primes that I'm having now. I really like the pancake DX zoom. I think the Z50 size could be smaller. Nikon missed one thing: IBIS but I think Sony and Fuji do not have IBIS in their APS-C cameras either, don't they? But again, Nikon should have taken this advantage in the run.

Latest posts

Links on this page may be to our affiliates. Sales through affiliate links may benefit this site.
Nikon Cafe is a fan site and not associated with Nikon Corporation.
Forum post reactions by Twemoji: https://github.com/twitter/twemoji
Copyright © 2005-2019 Amin Forums, LLC
Top Bottom