Z50, I’m thinking I might pass

Real Name
Randy
This looks like my 1st mirrorless.
Real small is what I’ve been waiting for.
I already moved back to DX for walking around with my D500 + 16-80 so this should be perfect.

Real Name
Randy
2 dials and an iso button, I'm good to go
(1 dial bodies don't work well for me)
even 1 sd card slot is OK, I sold most of my CF cards but I have SD for my D500 and D850

Real Name
David
2 dials and an iso button, I'm good to go
(1 dial bodies don't work well for me)
even 1 sd card slot is OK, I sold most of my CF cards but I have SD for my D500 and D850
If you can set one of the programmable buttons to metering, since it has an exposure comp button, and I'd be pretty much set as well. Those basic controls are all I really used on my Nikon bodies.

Real Name
Andreas Berglund
I will have to ponder this one, it clearly is a a mixed bag (I know I'm not in the target group here)
  • No IBIS I think is a mistake (for me), since the other Z lenses rely on it in the Z6-7, they are not a good match for this camera (for my shooting)
  • SD card is ok but UHS-I (common Nikon!), and I can only guess what the buffer is since it is nowhere to be found online right now = not very large, so it is not a birding camera not a D500 birding replacement.
  • Size ergonomics sensor, looks real good for a walkaround, will be compared to a Canon M6MKII though at 32 MP though.
  • For me this is up against my Canon M5, 24 mp, 7fps (laughable buffer) And there is not much to gain here compared to it (Yes better sensor and Eye AF). I could sell my little M5 with that amazing 22mm Pancake lens for maybe $550-600 at the very best add another grand after tax, and what do it get that's better? Nikon ergonomics, a little bigger in my (XL-sized) hands, better AF which is a biggie, a better low ISO and DR sensor, and just two native (DX) lenses for now. HMMMMM

Real Name
David
I would have also liked to have some kind of small LCD like the Z1 prototype. It would have saved battery or having to look through the EVF if you wanted to adj/check settings without turning the back LCD on. But I'm pretty use to mirrorless battery life issues, so it just falls into the "it would have been nice" column.

I will have to ponder this one, it clearly is a a mixed bag (I know I'm not in the target group here)
  • No IBIS I think is a mistake (for me), since the other Z lenses rely on it in the Z6-7, they are not a good match for this camera (for my shooting)
  • SD card is ok but UHS-I (common Nikon!), and I can only guess what the buffer is since it is nowhere to be found online right now = not very large, so it is not a birding camera not a D500 birding replacement.
  • Size ergonomics sensor, looks real good for a walkaround, will be compared to a Canon M6MKII though at 32 MP though.
  • For me this is up against my Canon M5, 24 mp, 7fps (laughable buffer) And there is not much to gain here compared to it (Yes better sensor and Eye AF). I could sell my little M5 with that amazing 22mm Pancake lens for maybe $550-600 at the very best add another grand after tax, and what do it get that's better? Nikon ergonomics, a little bigger in my (XL-sized) hands, better AF which is a biggie, a better low ISO and DR sensor, and just two native (DX) lenses for now. HMMMMM

According to DPR, it's a UHS-II slot which is plenty fast for stills and even mid-grade 4k video. Though the exclusion of USB Type-C and only including Micro USB seems a bit backwards.

" Its single SD card slot supports high-speed UHS-II media while its Micro USB port allows for in-camera battery charging. The Z50 uses the new EN-EL25 battery, with an estimated battery life of around 300 shots per charge."

https://www.dpreview.com/news/10892...z50-a-dx-format-mirrorless-camera-for-z-mount

Real Name
Randy
If you can set one of the programmable buttons to metering, since it has an exposure comp button, and I'd be pretty much set as well. Those basic controls are all I really used on my Nikon bodies.
Please Explain

IMO useless with some really stupid comments like the name is wrong
Well he wouldn't be Thom if he didn't whine about something. :rolleyes:
One of my know-it-all-about-everything friends "friends" once tried hard to convince me (and a few others) that my D850 was many steps below his wife's D3500, after all, higher number names are always better.

Real Name
Randy
Well he wouldn't be Thom if he didn't whine about something. :rolleyes:
One of my know-it-all-about-everything friends "friends" once tried hard to convince me (and a few others) that my D850 was many steps below his wife's D3500, after all, higher number names are always better.
Lol

Real Name
David

Please Explain
The top has an exposure Comp +/- button. But it looks like I missed this on the screen, though I'd prefer a physical button I can press/hold/turn a dial.

Last edited:
To me this is a very smart move by Nikon ... you have to remember the large mainly point & shoot crowd who uses their phones or d3100’s left on auto all the time ...
Now there’s a option for a small Nikon mirrorless available for a good price — shoot you can even buy the 2 lens package and be all set ..
It’s gotta be attractive and I bet it’ll do very well .
To me no IBIS is no big deal — hey d850’s and d5’s don’t have it either . No it’s not perfect, no camera is but it’s damn intriguing.
Not everyone is as deeply interested in photography as we are or has thousands of dollars to sink into a system or maybe they’re just picking up photography and Nikon hasn’t forgotten them ..
Nicely done Nikon ...

Real Name
Andreas Berglund
I get your points but why not use a newer cellphone at this price point, some of them have three lenses now, and more are coming, looks like Samsung is coming with a periscope zoom lens? Yes you and I know all the answers to this question but I bet you my two daughters would not go for it.

To me this is a very smart move by Nikon ... you have to remember the large mainly point & shoot crowd who uses their phones or d3100’s left on auto all the time ...
Now there’s a option for a small Nikon mirrorless available for a good price — shoot you can even buy the 2 lens package and be all set ..
It’s gotta be attractive and I bet it’ll do very well .
To me no IBIS is no big deal — hey d850’s and d5’s don’t have it either . No it’s not perfect, no camera is but it’s damn intriguing.
Not everyone is as deeply interested in photography as we are or has thousands of dollars to sink into a system or maybe they’re just picking up photography and Nikon hasn’t forgotten them ..
Nicely done Nikon ...

Latest threads

Top Bottom