Z50, I’m thinking I might pass

This is the first DX mirrorless.
There is nothing said that ALL the DX Z cameras will not have IBIS. IOW, the next model up (Z60/70) might have IBIS.
Just as the D3xxx and D5xxx are both single dial cameras, until the D7xxx which has two dials.

I get your points but why not use a newer cellphone at this price point, some of them have three lenses now, and more are coming, looks like Samsung is coming with a periscope zoom lens? Yes you and I know all the answers to this question but I bet you my two daughters would not go for it.
That's a good question.
Some will probably be very happy with the new smartphones.
But behind each lens there is a sensor, sometimes a much smaller one for the telephoto, so the pix quality seriously degrades in low light.
That will not be enough for me.

I never even use touch on an lcd
My D7000 doesn't have that but my wife's D5100 does. When the camera is hanging from a boom high above the scene while doing tabletop photography, I always use my wife's camera because of its tilt-and-swivel LCD.

I like the tilt-and-swivel LCD for ground level photography of wildflowers and fungi. I can do focus stacking simply by touching the screen at several appropriate points in the scene to focus and fire off a shot. Tripod mounted, of course.

My D7000 doesn't have that but my wife's D5100 does. When the camera is hanging from a boom high above the scene while doing tabletop photography, I always use my wife's camera because of its tilt-and-swivel LCD.

Ha same problem here.
I have to lay on my belly in the dirt, or shoot blind for low shots with my D7200. Been there done that :(
Same with overhead shots, I currently shoot blind, with the lens set WIDE, to compensate for aiming error.

But personally, I prefer a tilt screen rather than a swivel screen.
I find the tilt screen faster and easier to use. Plus I can use it with an L-bracket.
The L-bracket gets in the way of a swivel screen.

But personally, I prefer a tilt screen rather than a swivel screen.
I find the tilt screen faster and easier to use. Plus I can use it with an L-bracket.
The L-bracket gets in the way of a swivel screen.

I can use my D5500 with an L-bracket simply by mounting it properly.

Real Name
David
So you wanted one of the program buttons to be EV but there is an EV button ?
Guess I just wasn't clear
You said:
2 dials and an iso button, I'm good to go
I also wanted 2 dials and ISO. But also want the +/- and metering. The +/- is there on the top. I didn't notice that the meter is an on screen button at first. But I would have preferred a physical button.

On the plus side, I see Nikon has options now in the sub-$1000 USD category. For example they can do an even more compact and simplified DX Z body with no mechanical shutter and keep it all electronic OR they can go upscale DX and have a camera that's essentially a mirrorless D500 if there's demand for it. Of course we're talking as if smartphones don't exist and Nikon could very well be burying themselves not acknowledging something like the iPhone 11 exist!

NCV

Real Name
Nigel
This is an interesting camera.

My M43 "hiking" and "travel" cameras are getting a bit long in the tooth. I see a gradual migration to the Z system, with the little Z50 with a 24-120 sort of DX lens for hiking and some travel.

I have found the VR in my F4 zooms that I use on my D810 to be much better than expected. If I am careful and use those old hand holding techniques, it equals the IBIs in my EM5. So the lack of IBIS in this new camera is not such as issue as it is made out to be.

@Randy, have you used a mirrorless camera before?

The reason I ask is the EVF refresh rate, particularity for moving subjects. I'm sure there will be an option to increase the refresh rate at the expense of battery usage. My Olympus and Fuji bodies have this. I haven't checked the Z7. The lag can be frustrating at times for fast moving subjects. I don't have issues if the subject is moving in a continuous direction, its mainly when they're darting all over the place. I have been considering purchasing either the Nikon, or Olympus Dot Sight to see if that helps.

Real Name
Randy
@Randy, have you used a mirrorless camera before?

The reason I ask is the EVF refresh rate, particularity for moving subjects. I'm sure there will be an option to increase the refresh rate at the expense of battery usage. My Olympus and Fuji bodies have this. I haven't checked the Z7. The lag can be frustrating at times for fast moving subjects. I don't have issues if the subject is moving in a continuous direction, its mainly when they're darting all over the place. I have been considering purchasing either the Nikon, or Olympus Dot Sight to see if that helps.
No but I won’t be using this for anything moving

Latest threads

Top Bottom