Z50, I’m thinking I might pass

No auto sensor clean will not put me off I don't think, the auto sensor clean is only a let's move some dust about in the hope it falls off the sensor for now. As far as I understand it the Rocket blower will do just as good if not a better job, that's hardly the same as having to wet clean.
Also, I don't change lenses when ime out and about, I decide what ime after and just take that lens out on the camera, I know dust can still get in but not that much.

Real Name
Randy
No auto sensor clean will not put me off I don't think, the auto sensor clean is only a let's move some dust about in the hope it falls off the sensor for now. As far as I understand it the Rocket blower will do just as good if not a better job, that's hardly the same as having to wet clean.
Also, I don't change lenses when ime out and about, I decide what ime after and just take that lens out on the camera, I know dust can still get in but not that much.
changing lenses is a good point. I'll most likely only own 1 native lens (the kit lens)

As Nikon's entry model and given the feature set, isn't the Z50 more comparable (at least in marketing positioning) to the Oly OM-D EM10? The EM10 is a couple of hundred bucks cheaper.

Of course the Z50 has a significantly larger sensor than µ4/3 so theoretically should have better signal-to-noise ratio.

Real Name
Doug
Of course the Z50 has a significantly larger sensor than µ4/3 so theoretically should have better signal-to-noise ratio.
Understood. The sensor is the primary reason I moved on from m4/3. I was just looking at the relative positions of the Z50 and the EM10 in their manufacturers' line ups. And, FWIW, the EM10 has 5-axis IBIS and is two hundred dollars cheaper. I think the Z50 will likely be a very nice camera. I also think it will be interesting to watch how it does in the marketplace and how Nikon's APS-C mirrorless gambit plays out.

The difference in sensor size between FF and APS-C is much larger than APS-C to m4/3. I use all three formats. And while I find m4/3 does a great job for the majority of my genres, it does show its limitations with some, e.g. birding and micro detail in the feathers.
The only reason I mentioned the E-M5 III was the price point and feature set compared to the Z 50, and both being newly announced.

Real Name
Ian
Higher price tag for smaller sensor? No thanks
Small sensor and yet still not pocketable.
Stabilized sensor meaning every lens is stabilized, 1/8000 mechanical shutter and 1/32000 electronic shutter, 80MP high resolution images, 30fps with pre-burst capture, Live Bulb for active sensor readout during long exposures. I could go on.

There are far more features in the E-M5 III than there are in the Z50, which is essentially a mirrorless D7500. So while it’s easy to dismiss the camera for having a “small sensor”, it’s far more technologically advanced than the Z50’s is.

Real Name
Leif

My experience with a D500 is that the sensor clean works very well indeed. I’d really not want to carry a blower around and clean the sensor in the field, or risk a sequence of shots with dust. I do macro, with small apertures, so dust is a real problem. My D600, which does not have the dust magnet issue that affected earlier ones, does collect dust.

Real Name
Leif
I've never known a Joe Average that ever questioned whether his sensor was clean. Hardly a deal breaker for Joe Average in my mind.

Then we disagree. The only way to know who is right would be to survey potential Z50 buyers. It is in all but cheap Nikon cameras so the omission is odd. And by Joe Average, I meant the average potential Z50 owner, not someone who’d go for bottom of the range DSLR, as this is not a cheap camera, it’s relatively expensive. I would expect them to be reasonably discriminating.

My experience with a D500 is that the sensor clean works very well indeed. I’d really not want to carry a blower around and clean the sensor in the field, or risk a sequence of shots with dust. I do macro, with small apertures, so dust is a real problem. My D600, which does not have the dust magnet issue that affected earlier ones, does collect dust.

The auto sensor clean can only move dust and debris, i agree it does a great job but as i say i don't change lenses when ime out so in my situation i feel sure a rocket blower will do just as well.

Real Name
Leif
The auto sensor clean can only move dust and debris, i agree it does a great job but as i say i don't change lenses when ime out so in my situation i feel sure a rocket blower will do just as well.

Could you explain what you mean when you say it can only move dust and debris. Yes for you a blower would be fine.

Its confusing me, just taken this grab from a Nikon video, it states 11fps in silent, that to me means E shutter, its the one thing that could make it a no for me

Capturen.JPG
Subscribe to see EXIF info for this image (if available)

Looking at this video again i think the mechanical high is 5fps with blackout, the high with no blackout is 11fps but with E shutter, not sure that would work for me, most of the time 5 fps would be ok but there could be times with small birds i want no blackout.

Its confusing me, just taken this grab from a Nikon video, it states 11fps in silent, that to me means E shutter, its the one thing that could make it a no for me

Why?
Did you want 11fps with the mechanical shutter?

When I shoot at 10+fps I would rather use the electronic shutter.
That is less wear on the mechanical shutter, because I expect to be shooting THOUSANDS of frames.
I shoot HS sports with a D7200 at 6fps, and I shoot about 25,000+ frames a year.
If I go to 12fps I would end up at around 50,000 frames. I would rather not be putting that much additional wear on the mechanical shutter.

Latest threads

Top Bottom