Z50 IR

I recently converted a Z50 to infrared use (lifepixel, the 8xx filter) to replace the D200 I'd reconfigured for IR many years ago. My first impression is very positive and I thought I'd share some of the early pix. Many don't stand up to very close scrutiny (would benefit from tripod, higher shutter speed and closer attention to processing) but I think I'm gonna like it.

Attachments

Butlerkid

Cafe Ambassador
Administrator
Real Name
Karen
These look very nice indeed! Did LifePixel set a custom WB for you? I've had both a D100 and a D70s converted. In both cases it was difficult to set the custom WB once the camera was converted. Do you shoot raw? If so, what s/w do you use for processing IR? Thanks!

• Thread Starter Thread Starter
These look very nice indeed! Did LifePixel set a custom WB for you? I've had both a D100 and a D70s converted. In both cases it was difficult to set the custom WB once the camera was converted. Do you shoot raw? If so, what s/w do you use for processing IR? Thanks!
Thank you, Karen. I sent them the body with no instructions beyond choice of filter (eight hundred something). The white balance is whatever they configured for it. They had previously converted a D50 and D200 for me more than ten years ago but all the tutti-frutti color filter options weren't offered then. I tried messing with the WB on the converted D200 from time to time, but my results weren't rewarding since I'm looking for B&W images anyway.

I do shoot RAW (dunno why anymore, but I do). Since the demise of Aperture and Nikon's NX programs, I've been using a thing that calls itself Affinity and the occasionally cheat with the auto editing bits of a viewer I use: XnView.

Last edited:

Butlerkid

Cafe Ambassador
Administrator
Real Name
Karen
Enjoy your new conversion. Looks like it will serve you well. I was toying with getting a used D810 to convert.....but will hold off for now.

Enjoy your new conversion. Looks like it will serve you well. I was toying with getting a used D810 to convert.....but will hold off for now.
Of course not everyone's needs are the same, but if you convert a camera I encourage you to give serious consideration to the focus advantage that the mirrorless format provides. Few things in life delivered the euphoria of finding a photo produced by my IR-dedicated D200 that was actually in focus, so you might miss that. Sincere thanks once again.

Just so I know in the future, do folks post pix like this here, or in the B&W forum?

Last edited:

Butlerkid

Cafe Ambassador
Administrator
Real Name
Karen
Of course not everyone's needs are the same, but if you convert a camera I encourage you to give serious consideration to the focus advantage that the mirrorless format provides. Few things in life delivered the euphoria of finding a photo produced by my IR-dedicated D200 that was actually in focus, so you might miss that. Sincere thanks once again.

Just so I know in the future, do folks post pix like this here, or in the B&W forum?
Yes, focusing when using an IR body was always a struggle!

Most IR's should go in this forum....however sometimes I post images in the B&W forum since that is a forum with many active members.......

Real Name
Andy
do folks post pix like this here, or in the B&W forum?
I think these qualify for both! Either way, they are quite special - thanks for sharing.

Also, if you'd like to insert the actual image(s) into your post (rather than thumbnails), there is an option to insert them individually or all at once by clicking the appropriate buttons that appear after you upload them.

Butlerkid

Cafe Ambassador
Administrator
Real Name
Karen
Thank you, Karen. I sent them the body with no instructions beyond choice of filter (eight hundred something). The white balance is whatever they configured for it. They had previously converted a D50 and D200 for me more than ten years ago but all the tutti-frutti color filter options weren't offered then. I tried messing with the WB on the converted D200 from time to time, but my results weren't rewarding since I'm looking for B&W images anyway.

I do shoot RAW (dunno why anymore, but I do). Since the demise of Aperture and Nikon's NX programs, I've been using a thing that calls itself Affinity and the occasionally cheat with the auto editing bits of a viewer I use: XnView.
I still use NX2 - solely to process my IR images. I believe my D7000 was converted using the Enhanced Color option, so I could do either false color or B&W. I find that I prefer B&W's most of the time. Rarely do I find a scene that I like in false color.

I still use NX2 - solely to process my IR images. I believe my D7000 was converted using the Enhanced Color option, so I could do either false color or B&W. I find that I prefer B&W's most of the time. Rarely do I find a scene that I like in false color.
My old workflow was interrupted when I changed over to Mac nine or ten years ago. I struggled for a time with various tools before settling on mostly Aperture which I used before Apple pulled the plug. I'm still bitter about that. My D200 was fitted with what I think was a seven hundred something filter. One could coax a blue sky effect out of it or some unattractive shade of bronze, but I found I was never really drawn to the color images, so I had this Z50 modified just for B&W with the 830 nm configuration.

I think these qualify for both! Either way, they are quite special - thanks for sharing.

Also, if you'd like to insert the actual image(s) into your post (rather than thumbnails), there is an option to insert them individually or all at once by clicking the appropriate buttons that appear after you upload them.
Thank you.

It has been some time since I last posted here. Now that I think of it, I seem to recall that I used to have to link to pix that were stored off the NikonCafe site. I'll be more mindful of the option buttons when next I have a photo to share.

Butlerkid

Cafe Ambassador
Administrator
Real Name
Karen
Thank you.

It has been some time since I last posted here. Now that I think of it, I seem to recall that I used to have to link to pix that were stored off the NikonCafe site. I'll be more mindful of the option buttons when next I have a photo to share.
You can upload directly from your computer if your like. Current guidelines are HERE............

I recently converted a Z50 to infrared use (lifepixel, the 8xx filter) to replace the D200 I'd reconfigured for IR many years ago. My first impression is very positive and I thought I'd share some of the early pix. Many don't stand up to very close scrutiny (would benefit from tripod, higher shutter speed and closer attention to processing) but I think I'm gonna like it.
Nice images. I’m looking at getting a new camera for infrared and this is one of my options. I’ve been doing a lot of research but would like to hear your opinion if I may.

If you don’t mind me asking a couple of questions;
What lens you used for these images and if you noticed any “hot spots” at certain apertures.
Did you see any “banding” in any of your images? The sensor in the Nikon Z5 and Z6 suffer from this issue at high nm after being converted to infrared.
Did you update to the latest firmware and try the animal eye autofocus? This is one of the main reasons I want to get this camera.

Thanks in advance!

Nice images. I’m looking at getting a new camera for infrared and this is one of my options. I’ve been doing a lot of research but would like to hear your opinion if I may.
If you don’t mind me asking a couple of questions;
What lens you used for these images and if you noticed any “hot spots” at certain apertures.
Did you see any “banding” in any of your images? The sensor in the Nikon Z5 and Z6 suffer from this issue at high nm after being converted to infrared.
Did you update to the latest firmware and try the animal eye autofocus? This is one of the main reasons I want to get this camera.
Thanks in advance!
Thank you. I'll try to address your questions in studiously random order.

I have kept the firmware updated but have never tried to avail the eye autofocus feature. I also hope to take some creature pix with this camera but all my long glass models are manual focus where the issue won't apply.

I haven't noticed any banding issues. If any of my photos are found to be so afflicted under closer scrutiny than I gave them, none have been conspicuous.

The roster of lenses I've used to date are: 10.5 mm DX, 14-24 f/2.8, 18-70 DX, Zeiss 50 f/1.4, 70-200 f/4, 400 f/3.5, 500P f/4, 600 f/5.6. I don't own any native Z models.

Of that group above, I can recall occasional hot spots from all the lenses under 50mm, with higher incidence as the focal length gets shorter and as they're shot at angles closer toward the sun. They only hotspot occasionally though - I've had okay results with the whole lot. They're all pretty vulnerable to flare too (although that's also my experience with them in normal use).

Results with the lenses on the list over 70 mm have suffered from other issues - on the whole the few photos I've taken with them so far have been boring. I remain hopeful that better subjects will produce better outcomes.

I hope this helps. Good luck with whichever one you select.

Last edited:
Links on this page may be to our affiliates. Sales through affiliate links may benefit this site.
Nikon Cafe is a fan site and not associated with Nikon Corporation.
Forum post reactions by Twemoji: https://github.com/twitter/twemoji
Copyright © 2005-2019 Amin Forums, LLC
Top Bottom